August 4, 2020

Batman (1966) Episodes 41&42


The Spell of Tut/Tut's Case is Shut






Plot:King Tut wants an ancient scarab to use to mind control Gotham


Guest Stars:Victor Buono as King Tut


Trivia:The fact that Tut was cured last time is brought up which I like also mentioned is the sphinx he used in the last episode (used as a sort of trojan horse).


Niitpick:I notice the lame excuses to run to the Bat Poles are starting to fade away.


Bat Silliness:Under Tut’s influence, O’Hara does some flips on a very high ledge.


Window Cameo:Green Hornet and Kato (don’t worry we’ll be talking more about them soon!)


Bat Gadget:Bat Radio (it’s very delicate)


Bat Trap:Robin dangling over a pit of crocodiles. I like how the trap is part of the story unlike so many times when the story has to stop so we can fit it in and the trap comes out of nowhere!


Final Thoughts:To bad Rachel from Friends missed this episode or she would have known what an apothecary is. Seriously though, Buono is always a delight and the scheme is a little more solid this time. I wonder if they had any scenery after he chewed it all? The female of the episode is undercover working for Commissioner Gordon (so she can drug him), which is obvious but done well. I really liked her….Until they ruin it again by making her gush after Batman! I guess Batman is irresistible (?). Marianna Hill was also on Star Trek in one of my favorite one time roles so I guess she was simply awesome. Tut taking control of Gordon and O’Hara worked well it’s always nice to give them a little more to do. And I love the seemingly pointless scene of Batman pounding glasses of buttermilk had a point, coating his stomach to resist Tut’s potion. Nice! But don’t ask me why he didn’t share it with Robin.


Grade A-, Pretty good episode Tut came dangerously close to winning. Is it a rule Tut episodes have to involve Batman acting silly? Some don’t like all the repeating in this story (by the same writers as the other Tut episode and there is a lot of calling back). But the plot is different so I can forgive the fact it’s a follow up to the other Tut episode in every way. I enjoyed it.

 

Who’s the greatest mother of them all? Find out tomorrow, same bat time same bat channel!

No comments:

Post a Comment