December 3, 2021

We Wish You a Merry Trek-Mas

 I have been putting this one off for a few years now, for a few reasons. One is that it has been done, a lot. Another being that there really aren't that many examples to pick from. However with all the talking I have done about this franchise it would only be right to do this subject. So...









Star Trek has often dropped mention of holidays, especially in the early days. One episode had a clear Thanksgiving call out and another was a full-blown Halloween episode. Christmas has also had a few nods here and there. 

Here now are five examples of Christmas in Star Trek.




"Dagger of the Mind"

In the classic episode "Dagger of the Mind" not only do we meet Helen Noel, but we learn that she and Kirk had an "encounter" at a Christmas party prior to the episode.  I apologize for the clip it was the best I could find.







"Devil's Due"

This episode from TNG opens with Data performing a classic scene from Charles Dickens immortal "A Christmas Carol". Immortal indeed since this is the 24th century! 








"Death Wish"

Weird these Christmas nods are in episodes with dark titles. Anyway, on this Voyager episode one Q is trying to hide from another. The final attempt is a wonderful in joke. You see, Hallmark had just released an ornament of Voyager. And that's where Voyager finds itself, tethered to a Christmas tree!







Star Trek-Generations

I never really understood why Picard's fantasy involved Christmas. I get the whole family life part, and I guess if you're going to be around a loving family Christmas is the reason. It's a strange scene but the biggest reference to the holiday you'll find.









Star Trek-TNG Comic 

In what has to be one of the strangest comics I have ever read, the crew of the Enterprise run into Space Grinch's who are hunting the spirit of Christmas, which looks remarkably like Santa Claus? I don't know it's just weird. 





That's about it my friends if I did miss one please let me know. Finally, I will leave yoy with this, just for fun!




No comments:

Post a Comment