December 20, 2021

Six Best Christmas Songs That Came From Movies

It was ten years ago I talked about how sometimes a song from a Christmas movie may be more popular than the movie itself. Today I want to take a different approach, when a song that premiered in a movie does so well it becomes a timeless standard. It's easy for a movie to use a song that's already a classic, for the movie to produce the classic is a little harder! Here are five of my favorite Christmas songs that just happen to have started out on the big screen.



"Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas"


Judy Garland is awesome, and no matter how many cover this (even Frank Sinatra) her's is the best version of the song. From the movie "Meet Me in St Louis" Garland has proven that she has more to remembered for than just "Somewhere Over the Rainbow".




"Silver Bells"


I love the story of this song. This was a big number from the movie "Lemondrop Kid" starring Bob Hope. It went over so well, that after they made the movie Bob got his best friend, a guy named Bing Crosby, to make an official recording of the song. The rest is history.




"Somewhere in my Memory"




Man that John Williams is amazing! This song really snuck under the radar, no one really noticed it when "Home Alone" came along in 1990. Well aside from Williams winning awards for it Over the years it has really gained a following and even for me has become a classic. 





"Where are you Christmas"


Say what you want about the live action version of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas", but one thing it did right was this Faith Hill song. I still hear it on the radio everyyear and love it. Especially as I get older. 




"White Christmas"


This song is known, so often performed, and so a part of the holiday it's easy to forget that it came from a movie. And no, not "White Christmas" either. No it actually first came along in the otherwise terrible "Holiday Inn". 




"Christmastime Is Here"


Yeah Yeah, not a movie I know. But this little gem from the Charlie Brown Christmas has really taken on a life all its own. 




You may have noticed a common theme in these songs. Memories. As I get older I find Christmas changing. I am not happy that this happens, but that's how life works. Thank goodness we have songs like these and others to make sure we never forget the cherished memories from the decades. I think The Wonder Years put it best:






Merry Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment