December 7, 2021

Top 8 Everybody Loves Raymond Christmas Episodes








There aren't many series which have the amount of Christmas episodes Frasier had. Friends sort of did, but I talked about that already. Home Improvement did, but again I already went over those episodes. Family Matters comes close but a few of them I haven't even seen. The only one that compares that I haven't talked out is Everybody Loves Raymond which also had eight. Since I ordered Frasier from best to worst, I think it's time to sort these the same way. And this will be harder!  



"The Christmas Picture"

Ok if you've been around for awhile then you know I had some issues with this episode. And I will not give that rant again, let's just say what Debra does is appalling. While the situation of trying to do a family picture is relatable, it's kind of empty as far as Christmas is concerned. 



"The Thought That Counts"

There are a couple reasons I placed this one so high. This is the one where Ray has to come up with a great Christmas idea for Deb. One reason is that the episode kind of goes through the holiday. The second, and more important, reason is that this is the one that make the least impact on me. I always seem to forget it.




"The Ball"

Ugh, season one. It's funny how many things established in the episode would later be retconned out. At least Debra is crying through it. Ray finds out his father lied about getting a autographed ball. Honestly the episode is Ray pouting with some stupid Santa Claus nonsense thrown in. 





"Jazz Records"

As I said, this was a hard list to organize since all of the holiday episodes are solid. Ray tries to replace his father's records with CD's, missing the whole point why his father loved his old records. I just wish the writing had been better, since the story of how the records were originally destroyed changed through the episode. 




"All I Want for Christmas"

Easily the hardest to place. It's another Ray is horny episode but what he does here drives me nuts. I covered this in my episode guide, so I don't want to be repetitive. But how is this guy go sooo horny at his age? Anyway, I don't want launch into that spiel again. It's the scenes with Robert, Frank and Marie that elevate this episode into decent. 




"Season's Greetings"

This episode concerns Marie and Debra working on the annual Baron Christmas letter. I never got why people send those year either. It run of the mill bickering but is saved by the nicest tag of any of the Christmas episodes. It doesn't end with a mean joke or stupid gag, it's just the family enjoying each other on Christmas morning.




"The Toaster"

This is a classic, Christmas episode or otherwise. I find it funny actually how Frank and Marie don't appear in the first act and yet they manage to steal the episode. Including a line from Frank which is one of his best. The problem is Ray's own fault he should have been there and made sure his parents opened the toaster and understood how special it was. Sometimes he is an idiot.




"Christmas Present"

This is my favorite though to be honest I could swap it out at the same time. It's a nice episode, and for once Ray being selfish seems relatable. Who hasn't bought a gift for someone to butter them up a little? Not sure why exactly it's my favorite. Maybe because it's a nice Debra episode. Maybe it's that last scene where Frank gives Marie a thoughtful gift on the sly. Or maybe because it just feels a normal family on Christmas Day. 






For those shouting that "The Middle" managed nine Christmas episodes, yeah I know but I never watched that show. But people keep telling me to, so maybe one of these days....

No comments:

Post a Comment