December 2, 2011

Top 5 Christmas Songs That I Hate Hearing on the Radio


Top 5 Christmas Songs That I Hate Hearing on the Radio

I remember when I was a kid radio stations hardly played Christmas music. They would play one or two, but that would be it. That started to change ten years ago, and in my local area of Boston anyway at least four stations play constant Christmas music all day every day. I was going to complain about the top songs these stations play over and over. However, I realized they play all of them over and over. Instead this list focus's on songs which I don't understand why they are played at all. The fact that they are on all the time makes it even worst.


#5.Linus and Lucy-This is a fantastic jazz piano tune written by Vince Guaraldi and has been featured in virtually every Peanuts special. I just have one quesion, WHAT MAKES THIS A CHRISTMAS SONG? It's not that I don't like it becaue I do, and I get that it was first used in the Charlie Brown Christmas. I just don't understand why radio stations play this all the time at Christmas. This tune is in the Thanksgiving special, the Halloween special, and has been used by other people for things having nothing whatsoever to do with Christmas including The Weather Channel.

#4.Santa Clause is Coming to Town by Bruce Springstreen. If I could ask Bruce Springsteen any question, it would if he was embarrassed by this. Not that's it's bad, but that it is ALWAYS on. I don't understand it, who likes hearing this thing all the time? It sounds as if it was recorded at a concert which I'm sure was great when it was done live. On the radio it's just annoying.



#3. It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Year by Andy Williams. Why is this played every ten minutes? I think my big problem with this is how dated  the references are. It was recorded in the 60's. There'll be much mistletoeing? What does that mean, spending the night kissing every girl in site? I think they call that sexual harassment today. Friends come to call? When was the last time "call" was used in that way? Scary ghost stories? Marshmallows for toasting? Is this Christmas or Boy Scouts? Then there's the line about the gay happy meetings...and I'm just gonna stop right there. In all seriousness the worst thing about this song is that it feels like it's on every ten minutes. Enough!


#2. You're A Mean One, Mr.Grinch-When I am watching "How The Grinch Stole Christmas", the cartoon or the movie, this song is great. It fits right in and was very well sung. However, when I hear it on the radio, out of context, this song makes me cringe. Do I need a three minute speech on how disgusting and reprehensible this guy is? Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer is more Christmassy. I can't stand it every time they play this tune (which is often, for some reason).

#1. Santa Baby by...whoever. I don't get this song, maybe because it's from another time too. It's cute when someone like Piggy or Minnie Mouse sing it, but when it's an adult it just seems creepy. Have you ever really listened to the lyrics? It's basically a selfish, spoiled  woman trying to kiss up to Santa so he will give her more crap she doesn't need. How does she kiss up? Does she promise to change her ways and be a better person? Hell no! She does it by flaunting her sexuality at him, of course! How women tolerate this song is beyond me, and yet some of the greatest female artists have covered including Ertha Kitt and Modonna! Wow.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DeNhjPaP53I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Honorable Mention:
I know it's customary in this kind of lists to include "Do They Know It's Christmas" by Band-Aid, but I will be honest and say that song doesn't bother me. I didn't realize how bad it even was until Nostalgia Chick talked about it. It does baffle me that they play a song recorded over twenty years ago for a specific cause. It would be like playing "We Are the World" over and over. I thought I would add it for fun. You know, when you really listen to the words this song is kind lousy. Why do radio stations keep playing this?

This list was for fun, and I hope you got a laugh at it or at the very least enjoyed hearing these songs which I'm sure at least one, if you turn your radio on, is probably on right now!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment