December 19, 2011

My Christmas Best/Worst List



My Christmas Best/Worst List
For my final Christmas related article, I thought I would just simply break down things I really like and the things I don’t like so much in the holidays. Since I have already talked so much about some of these things I will try to make this a simple list without a lot of exposition.
I can’t stress enough, this all my opinion.  When I say worst, I mean I don’t like it. If someone else does, fantastic. Just because I don't care for it doesn't mean there aren't millions who do (or vice versa).

Let’s do the stuff I don’t like first.

Worst Christmas Sitcom Episode-I don't mind shows that present a negative view of Christmas, but some get carried away. One episode of Becker called "Santa on Ice" had Ted Danson's character checking out a body in a morgue who was dressed as Santa, while his friend Reggie dragged a Christmas tree through the city trying to get it home. The tree was destroyed, and the episode just sucked.
Worst Christmas Movie-I can stand Once Upon a Christmas (with a fast forward button). Never saw Elf so I can't really judge it. I guess the worst would be Santa Claus: The Movie. I can't even bring myself to watch it. I never saw Jingle All The Way, Deck The Halls, or Four Christmas’s but I am sure they stink.
Worst Christmas Movie Everyone Else Loves-A Christmas Story
Worst Christmas TV Movie-To Grandmother’s House We Go (then why do I watch it every year?)  Actually, I could have said “anything on ABC Family”, but I already complained about them.
Worst Disney Christmas Movie (or direct to video DVD)-Twice Upon A Christmas. The stories are just lousy.
Worst Rankin/Bass Special-The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus. Just to dark, to different, and in the end to boring.
Worst Disney Christmas Cartoon-Don’t hate me Moviefan12, but the Silly Symphonies one about the night before Christmas, with Santa Claus and the toys that come to life. I just hated that cartoon as a kid, and still hate it. The music is annoying and Santa is creepy. Plus, how he can have time to goof off and play with the toys like that? There is another set in Santa’s workshop which isn’t as bad. Second place, anything that Disney puts on that involves ice skating but not Christmas. Why does Disney do this? Just because characters are ice skating does not make it a Christmas cartoon!!
Worst Christmas Song-Baby, It's Cold Outside. I mean, let the poor girl leave already! It’s like the Christmas stalker song.  It's not cute or fun to sing, it just sucks. Second place, Dominick the Italian Christmas Donkey. Why is this popular? As for Christmas Shoes, I’m not even going there.
Worst Animated Christmas Special-Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer. Um, nice try guys. I watched the Family Circus one which I didn’t cover in my blog earlier. It was sweet, but real boring.
Worst Christmas Moment in a Christmas Special-Santa finding Karen crying next to a puddle in Frosty The Snowman.
Worst Christmas Special-Star Wars Holiday Special (do I need to explain why?). Alf is second place, just waayyyy to sad. Pee-Wee was bad, real bad.
Worst Christmas Commercial. I did a whole list of Best Christmas commercials, but here is one I don’t like. I get the joke; I just don’t find it funny:



Ok, now the good stuff:
Best Christmas Sitcom Episode-Wow, what a tough one. I rattled off most of my Bests in the Christmas cliché article, but if I had to pick one episode it would probably that Family Ties one I mentioned way back where Alex plays Santa in a mall. It's corny, but something about cold as ice Alex being moved by a little girl always gets me. Home Improvement would be a runner up I think. Night Court is also a Best, that episode about the toys which were meant as evidence being delivered to an orphanage is great. If you never saw it, try to check it out.
Best Christmas Movie-Either the George C.Scott Christmas Carol or The Santa Clause, hands down. As I said before, The Santa Clause does everything a good Christmas movie should. Plus, Tim Allen was a surprisingly good Santa Claus. And of course, George C. Scott WAS Scrooge. For those screaming "what about the Muppet Christmas Carol?" sorry, I liked it but it's lower on the list after Home Alone.
Best Christmas Movie Everyone Else Hates-Christmas with the Kranks, I don’t know why. You have to treat it as a farce and not take it seriously.
Best Christmas TV Movie-A Very Brady Christmas (it’s ok, argue with me. I don’t care)  ;)
Best Christmas Disney Movie (or direct to video DVD)-I love Mickey’s Christmas Carol, but I really loved Once Upon a Christmas. The three stories are real solid. First is "Christmas Every Day" where Huey, Dewey, and Louie experience Christmas every day until they learn to appreciate it. Then we get a great Goofy story, I believe this was originally a Goof Troop episode but it is a very touching story about a father and son not wanting to disappoint each other. Finally, Mickey and Minnie's Gift of the Magi is a very honest interpretation of the O Henry story. I love how there is no cop out where they get the gifts anyway, it ends the way the original story ends. My only complaint is how Mickey and Minnie were drawn, they didn't look quite right to me.
Best Rankin/Bass Special-The Year Without a Santa Claus. It's corny but enjoyable, and has a really good story. The songs are just great, from "I Believe in Santa Claus" to the title tune, just a very well done special.
Best Disney Christmas Cartoon-The one where Mickey and Pluto get their tree, which just so happens to have Chip and Dale inside. Love that cartoon!
Best Christmas Song-Another tough one. I listed five of my Bests in another article. For traditional I think Hark the Herald Angel Sings wins the award because I like it no matter who covers it, even Mannheim Steamroller. For more non-traditional, Mariah Carey's All I Want for Christmas and that cool Christmas Wrapping song.
Best Animated Christmas Special- Tough choice. Olive, The Other Reindeer is a Best. I was surprised to like this but it is cute even if it kind of misses the meaning of Christmas. It's another one of those "if Santa can't deliver presents we can't have Christmas" stories which kind of misses the point of the holiday though not as badly as that horrible Twas the Night Before Christmas cartoon. There's always A Garfield Christmas.
Best Christmas Moment in a Christmas Special-Linus reciting the true meaning of Christmas in “A Charlie Brown Christmas”.
Best Christmas Special- Muppet Family Christmas is great. It’s hard to really come up with an answer because that is such a broad category. Bob Hope’s Christmas Specials in the 80’s were great.
Best Christmas Commercial-I did a whole blog full of them already.

Finally, I wanted to end this by posting a Christmas video I just love. Boney M's Mary's Boy Child is a video I posted before, but I feel like posting it again. I had never seen the video, and watching it was like rediscovering the song all over again. You gotta love how the group took a boring song and put a 70’s spin on it. It is just so well done and no surprise why it’s so popular.




I wanted to take a moment to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. It has been so much fun working on these blogs. I have some ideas for where I want to take these articles, and just hope I get the chance to continue to write and read them well into the New Year. You're support has meant a lot to me, that is one gift I am truly thankful for this year

No comments:

Post a Comment