December 21, 2011

A Look at Superman



Faster than a speeding bullet! More powerful than a locomotive! Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound! ("Look! Up in the sky!" "It's a bird!" "It's a plane!" "It's Superman!")... Yes, it's Superman ... strange visitor from another planet, who came to Earth with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men! Superman ... who can change the course of mighty rivers, bend steel in his bare hands, and who, disguised as Clark Kent, mild-mannered reporter for a great metropolitan newspaper, fights a never-ending battle for truth, justice, and the American way!


Superman is THE man. I always said that Green Lantern brought me to comic books, but it was Superman that made me fall in love with them. It's not just because he can fly and has really cool powers. It’s his whole attitude that makes him likable. With his powers he could rule the world, but does he? Of course not, he helps people and does so expecting nothing in return. This time of year we talk about Santa Claus, and he and Superman have a lot in common. So much so they actually met once in a comic book, who knew that? It was a great issue to. Besides having a home base in the North Pole, Superman and Santa have a love for people which is remarkable. Where Santa expresses that love by giving of himself with no expectations, Superman does it by helping them. They are both symbols of hope, which we desperately need at times.








So, I thought I would list off some of the people who have made this character come to life. But first, let's discuss my favorite comic book version. Superman has been brought to life by some legendary people including Curt Swan, Marv Wolfman, and Jerry Ordway. However, this is my favorite:
 
The John Byrne Superman, circa 1986-1988. John Byrne relaunched the character with his Man of Steel mini-series twenty-five years ago. This was THE version for me; it made me love the character. No longer an all-powerful demi god like in the 70's, he was a down to Earth Kansas farm boy. Clark Kent was the real person and Superman was just a name he used to operate in public. This enabled Clark to be more human, rather than just a stereotypical klutz. John Byrne only worked on Superman for a couple years, but his issues are among my favorite stories ever and I still cherish them to this day.

Now, on to the film versions. These are in order of how much I liked them, not the order they first appeared. Quick note, most of the videos need to be played on YouTube by following the link. Sorry about that, hope you can still appreciate them.

Christopher Reeve (Superman I-IV)

I mean, who else? Christopher Reeve defined this character in so many ways. He truly was Superman. What I always loved was that he wasn't always serious. This was a Superman who knew how to have a sense of humor, even joke around. However, when things were serious you knew it! Christopher Reeve created a Superman you DID NOT want to piss off! I hated Superman IV as much as anyone. As for Superman III, I had issues with that one. Superman II was never a favorite for one simple reason; they had Lois and Superman get together! That should not have happened. It was a good movie though. Of course, Superman: The Movie was the classic. I remember the first half being boring when I was a kid, but that's because I was a kid and I have grown to love it and appreciate as an adult. Simply put, Christopher Reeve WAS Superman!



Dean Cain (Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman)
 
I HATE that this series has not stood the test of time. It seems no one has heard of it or seen it. It was a big hit around '93. When I first heard Dean Cain I figured it would never work. However, he did a great job. I think the reason being that he took the role very seriously. That seriousness came through and made the character a, well, character rather than just someone putting on a blue suit and playing. This Superman was a little cooler, more reserved than Christoper Reeve's. This was after the Byrne revamp, so we had a Clark Kent who was a normal guy. Sure, he was a little goofy but he was still just a regular guy and Superman was just a name he used to operate in public. In fact this may be the most realistic Clark, until Tom Welling anyway. Even though the focus was Clark, there was still plenty of Superman. He would fly in and save the day and we loved it! The first two seasons were really good, and yes the last two seasons went downhill. However, that was due to the writing and the fact that they rushed the Clark/Lois relationship.





Danny Dark (Superfriends)
 
There have been many animated versions of Superman over the years. However, my favorite will always be the old Superfriends show. Including The World's Greatest Superfriends and Challenge of the Superfriends. In these shows Superman's voice was provided by Danny Dark, and for me he WAS Superman. The voice was perfect. He performed the voice for every Super Friends version through the 80's, and no matter how many versions there have been since this will always be the standard. He was able to give Superman a strong, assertive voice which was also not pompous or arrogant. As for the other animated series, I just never saw them and really am not able to give a good opinion on them.


Tom Welling (Smallville)
 
Like many, I did not have much interest in this version. Reducing Superman to a teen drama? Really? I admit, I was very wrong. Ok, sure this show had that teen crap but if you looked past that this series did a great job with the Superman mythos. They recreated characters that I never thought any show would do, and usually very well done. Lex Luther was fantastic, but that is another article. Tom Welling looked the part, and played it very well. I would love to see him as Superman literally, maybe someday. The plights of young Clark Kent made Superman more human, and once you get past the corny dialogue and sappy stories (and endless story lines!), it was good. Below is a clip of the end of the series, and I gotta tell you as a Superman fan this was great. Hearing that iconic John Williams music, I watched this and felt like a little kid all over again.



George Reeves (The Adventures of Superman)
While I have great respect for George Reeves, I had to admit I was never a fan. This show was old even for me, and I just never got into it. Not saying it was bad, it wasn't and for lots of people George Reeves is the person who put Superman on the map. I totally understand that. It's safe to say none of the other people on this list would be here without his inspiration. However, at the same this is very much old school Superman. Clark Kent was just a nerdy wimp; Lois was just a damsel in distress, and so on. I also thought he was a little to old. Not my personal favorite, but considering what he started I have total respect for him and what he did in that series.



Brandon Routh (Superman Returns)
Oh, the pain! I mean no disrespect to Brandon Routh who is a fine actor. But, as Superman? This movie was such a disappointment, and there were two simple reasons. One was the horrible story, but the other was the actors! He was too young, and didn't project any of the confidence Superman was supposed to have. He came off like a whiny wimp. His Clark Kent was a throwback to the goofy, not to be taken seriously Clark from the old days. What a step backward! Get the feeling I hated him?  I also hated that Lois was married to someone else, and even worst was still not with Superman at the end! Arrgh!! I hated this movie, and am so glad that they are going another way with the next one.




Alright, let's throw out some honorary mentions. Kirk Alyn was the very first person to put the uniform on in the famous serials. Gerard Christopher was in the Superboy TV series from the 80's. Of course, Henry Cavill will be taking over the role in the next Superman movie. I am optimistic but cautiously so. We really need a fresh, smart movie to bring Superman back to the forefront. I just hope that this movie does that.

That’s my little look at the people who have played Superman over the years. Hope you liked it, and hopefully we will have other articles on Batman, Lois Lane (boy do I have a few things to say about her), and others as we get into 2012. I leave you with one last video, of an amazing commercial with two legends. Superman, and Jerry Seinfeld. This is one of my favorite ads ever!

1 comment:


  1. Zydrate Wednesday, 21 December 2011
    Always good to hear from someone else who appreciates Supes just as much as me. Although I have to admit I'm a little disappointed you didn't include Tim Daily from the 90's animated series.
    Reply • You like this comment. Unlike this comment

    richtv Wednesday, 21 December 2011
    Yeah, I know I'll hear that a lot. I never watched these shows so I really have no opinion on them. I'm sure they were great, I saw the NC review and it looked cool. However, I grew up with Superfriends so that's why that is there but the more recent animated shows aren't.
    Reply • Positive Troll and Zydrate likes this comment. • Like this comment

    Zydrate Wednesday, 21 December 2011
    That makes sense. I'm guessing you were born in the late 70's or early 80's?
    Reply • You and Positive Troll likes this comment. Unlike this comment

    richtv Wednesday, 21 December 2011
    mid-70's, the 80's were my childhood
    Reply • Positive Troll and Zydrate likes this comment. • Like this comment

    Positive Troll Wednesday, 21 December 2011
    Hi richtv. Very nicely done, my friend. As you saw my blog on why my avatar is Superman, I know you know my thoughts and feelings about the Last Son of Krypton. I like how you put this review together, covering some incarnations of the Man of Steel I hadn't.

    As Zydrate said-you should check out Tim Daly from the 90's animated Superman series-he was really great too(Kind of like Kevin Conroy as Batman in all the animated Batman cartoons) I look forward to your next review. Peace.
    Reply • You and Zydrate likes this comment. Unlike this comment

    richtv Wednesday, 21 December 2011
    I had a feeling you'd like this one Tell you what, I'll watch the animated series if you check out Lois & Clark. Deal?
    Reply • Positive Troll likes this comment. • Like this comment

    Positive Troll Thursday, 22 December 2011
    You've got a deal, my friend. Peace.
    Reply • You like this comment. Unlike this comment

    writrzblok Thursday, 22 December 2011
    A very nice tribute to the Man of Steel. I concur with all who say you should watch the Superman: The Animated Series. But I would further recommend the Justice League series, especially episodes like "Destroyer," "For the man who has everything" and "Twilight" (It shows a direct continuation from the series finale of the Superman Animated series)
    Reply • You and Positive Troll likes this comment. Unlike this comment

    richtv Thursday, 22 December 2011
    I did see what I believe was the finale of the Justice League show,and it was pretty good. I was impressed.

    ReplyDelete