November 30, 2011

Top 5 Christmas Songs I Turn the Radio Up For

ss music. The simple reason for that is because music has never been my thing. I have always been the last to know about the new artists and big hits. That’s not to say I don’t like music, I do, but I don’t follow it closely or put much thought into which songs are better than others. The one exception is Christmas music.
I love Christmas music, and can’t get enough of it. I wanted to talk today about the five songs I love more than others. I am going to use the word “songs” rather than “carols” because the songs I want to talk about today aren’t the kind of songs you sing to your neighbors. I always felt there were two different kinds of Christmas music. You have Christmas Carols like Jingle Bells, and Christmas Songs which you could almost play any time of the year (like I did with one of my choices).
These are really nice songs which not only do I enjoy year after year, but if they come on the radio I have to turn the volume up to listen to it.

All I Want For Christmas is You by Mariah Carey-I loved this song when it came out! The tune has such a peppy beat it’s impossible not to start tapping your feet during it. I have never been the biggest Mariah fan, but this song is a true classic. I don’t like “romantic” Christmas songs usually, but this one is nice and simple. All I want for Christmas is you….simple as that. By the way, her Christmas album is one of my absolute favorites. Every song is great, even the more timeless one’s she does.

Christmas Through Your Eyes by Gloria Estefan. Not the biggest Gloria Estefan fan in the world, but this is such a nice song. I know, not from personal experience, that when people have kids it changed how they see many things, including Christmas. Seeing the holiday through the eyes of a child puts it in a whole new perspective. For me, since I have no kids it is a reminder of how Christmas felt was when I was a kid, and as we get old and lose perspective we need to be reminded from time to time.

Where are you Christmas? By Faith Hill. Kind of the opposite of the previous song. Yes, that Jim Carrey version of the Grinch was hardly a classic. However, one good thing that came from that film was this nice little song by Faith Hill. I think everyone has had that feeling, for one reason or another that Christmas is somehow missing. Things change in our lives and Christmas is one of those things. It’s important to remember what we loved about Christmas, thinking of others and showing how much we care, which is what this song is about.


Christmas Wrapping by The Waitresses-Even though this song has been around for awhile, I only fairly recently discovered this little tune. I just love it, not only does it have one hell of beat but there’s also a cool story in the song. If you’re looking for a Christmas song that makes you feel good, look no further than this tune. (sorry about the video, ignore the silly animation)

Mary’s Boy Child by Bone M. The song has been around for awhile, what makes this version so great to listen to is the way Bone M recorded it. They didn’t just sing the song, they sing it in such a clever way that it is impossible not to like. The fact that this song is religious even by Christmas song standards makes the popularity of this little tune all the more remarkable. One of the first times I heard this song was in heavy traffic, and I love this song so much that for the four minutes or so the song was one, the traffic didn’t even bother me.


 Honorable Mention:
As Long As there’s Christmas –I am starting a crusade to get people to appreciate this tune. I know, the movie it comes from is lousy. Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas was not that great, I am not disputing that. I am just saying, forget the movie it’s from and just listen to the song. It’s a nice little tune about having hope, and I always liked it. It’s an honorable mention because it is a hard song to hear around the holidays, but I just had to add it. I thought about doing a separate Disney Christmas music list but Moviefan12 covered that so well already. Here it is, give it a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment