December 30, 2011

The Episodes of Star Trek I Personally Hate



There’s a difference between a bad episode, and one which you just can’t stand. Star Trek had a lot of bad episodes, but many of them are still watchable. I wanted to talk about those episodes from the series which I hate. So much so that I won’t even watch it when it comes on. The thing is some of these episodes are regarded by people.

The Original Series :
We all know the bad episodes of this show. But a lot of them are still watchable for me. “Spock’s Brain” is good for a laugh. Others like “The Alternative Factor” and “And the Children Shall Lead” I still watch, even if the quality sucks. So, what is the one episode I can’t stand and never watch?
There are two. One is just bad; the other is good but damn depressing.
“A Private Little War”-This episode is a great look at the conflict which was going in Vietnam at that time. The war even gets a reference in the dialogue. However, it’s almost too dark and to depressing. How depressing? Spock is shot, Kirk is mauled, and McCoy even takes a knife by the end of the episode. That’s a depressing episode! This is not considered a bad episode by most, and I am not saying that I think it’s bad either; I just don’t enjoy watching it.


Now, for the one I hate which most will agree with…….

“Requiem for Methuselah”-This is so bad. I say it’s the worst episode to come out of the third season, and there is a lot of competition. The story has Kirk falling in love with an android woman, and the whole thing is just the most boring dialogue ever. The man who created the woman is also in love with her, and she ends up dying because she can’t stand the conflict of having these two men loving her (or something like that, I’ve literally only seen this like two times). How can an android die? Don’t know, but it doesn’t matter because Spock is nice enough to wipe the heartbroken Kirk’s memories of the entire event. Wish he could make me forget

The Next Generation:

I did an entire article on bad episodes, but most of the episodes I listed are episodes I can still sit through. There aren’t too many I just hated, but there are two so awful I just can’t sit through them. I already talked about one, but for the sake of this article I will mention it again.
Sub Rosa-Please, don’t make me talk about this episode again! Ok, here it is in a nutshell. Dr.Crusher attends her grandmother’s funeral and spends time in her grandmother’s haunted house where she is romanced by her grandmother’s non-corporeal lover. No, seriously! This episode happened! The worst thing about this show is the writers basically stole elements from Anne Rice’s novel The Witching Hour. They were forced to admit that when threatened with a lawsuit. It also may explain why this didn’t work; Star Trek is not gothic romance!
Ok, let’s talk about another episode I hate……

“Lessons”-This show had Picard falling for a woman on his crew. When she is almost killed on an away mission, he realizes how inappropriate his relationship with her is. Oh, and one other thing. THIS EPISODE IS THE MOST BORING THING EVER!!!! Actually, any episode about Picard getting lucky is pretty dull. “Captain’s Holiday” was stupid, and “Perfect Mate” felt like it belonged on some other show. This was the worst though, utterly boring and stupid. The worst part is the obvious nitpick of the episode, Picard needs to learn that he can’t have a relationship with someone under his command? We know that was the point, the title is Lessons! He didn’t know that already???  Sure! I honestly don’t know if I have sat through this whole episode, if I did it has been wiped from my memory.

Deep Space Nine:
I have said before, I was not a loyal fan of Deep Space Nine. So to find an episode I have personally seen and hated is not as easy as the other shows. However, I was thumbing through the episode guide and came upon one I did see, and realized that it was pretty bad.
“Heart of stone”-I was lucky enough to watch this ultimately pointless episode. Odo and Kira are trapped on an asteroid, where Kira gets her foot stuck in a crystal. The crystal then precedes to envelope her, and as it does Odo and Kira talk, and talk. They finally reveal their secret love for each other, but when Kira confesses her love Odo deduces it was all a trick. The whole time it was really the Founder trying to trick Odo into rejoining the link. The episode is a waste of time, absolutely nothing changes from the beginning to the end, and the crystal effect they used was plain awful. I am sure there are worst episodes out there, but this was one I saw.

Voyager:
It’s hard to list the worst episodes of this show too, but not because I didn’t watch it. Because there were so many of them! It seemed like for every good episode there were two horrible episodes. I admit, I did like this show. I liked Captain Janeway and everyone else. Some episodes were boring, like that idiotic “Fair Haven” show which was so bad I could do a nostalgia critic-type bat credit card rant about it. Just what I want to see on Star Trek, the plights of a holographic Irish village! Aaargh!
However, as bad as that was there are two other episodes which I hate even more. One is actually respected, but I hated it when I saw it and have never seen it since. Let’s start with that one.
“Living Witness”-I don’t what it is about this episode which bothered me so much. Was it the fact it was set hundreds of years after the series? Was it the fact the only regular to appear in the episode normal was the doctor? I just didn’t like it, and the episode went right to the bottom of the barrel for me. On an alien planet years from now the doctor, or a backup I guess, is discovered and is able to correct the historical inaccuracies about a visit the planet had from Voyager centuries earlier. Yeah, I get the point about keeping an open mind when judging history and the “dark Voyager” was kind of fun, but all in all I hated this episode. Maybe I should watch it again?

So what episode did I hate even more than that?

“Counterpoint”-Kate Mulgrew, this may have been your favorite but it wasn’t mine. This is another episode I just couldn’t stand. Voyager is traveling a region of space controlled by aliens who don’t like telepaths (or something) so they periodically check Voyager to make sure there are none on board. Of course, not only does Voyager have telepaths in the crew but they have picked up some refugees along the way. Two things make this horrible. The real reason for the episode is so that Janeway can have a love interest. The alien captain doing the random checks has a thing for her, and she for him. They have a lot of back and forth which is so boring by itself, but just to make this episode even more infuriating they replaced the normal soundtrack with classical music. I respect every kind of music, but in a Star Trek episode? Make it stop!!!!!  Yeah, this episode sucked for me.

Enterprise:
Man, this is almost impossible. Forget the fact I didn’t watch this show a lot. Forget the fact that every episode is like a rip off of an episode from an earlier series. This show was just bad, and to find one particular episode to hate more than any other is almost impossible.
I could take about “Dawn”, which had Tripp and another alien just lying on the ground dying from the excessive heat. Sounds exciting, right? I could talk about that awful series finale, but I already did a whole article on that. How about the stupid Ferengi episode? Bottom line, this was just a bad show. It would be much quicker to list the episodes I actually liked. It’s no wonder the show barely made it 4 seasons.

So what episodes did you hate that others seem to enjoy? That’s it for now, until next time when I talk about episodes I hated at first, but have learned that I was wrong about them and now like.

No comments:

Post a Comment