October 8, 2016

Top 10 Creepiest Songs for Halloween

How is it I haven’t done this one?



So yesterday I discussed scary music that I love, it’s time today to turn to actual songs. Some are themes but most were simply songs that were recorded and released into the mainstream. I don’t even think most were intended as Halloween songs per se, they just fill the bill so perfectly by being moody and even scary that we can’t help but enjoy them when October rolls around every year.





#10.Purple People Eater
Purple People Eater is cute and silly and..I don’t know why I love it.







#9.Warewolves in London
I had never heard this song really until my local radio station started a tradition of playing it every Halloween. And it’s pretty good. Not much else to say about it.








#8.They’re Coming to Take Me Away
Have you ever heard this song? I mean, what the hell??? I have no idea what made the writer, Jerry Samuels, was thinking. It’s just…creepy!







#7. The Addams Family
Yeah this should have been on yesterday’s list, but it has lyrics! The Addams Family theme is one of my all-time favorites especially the finger snapping. How they made finger snapping cool I will never know!!! It’s silly and creepy and all together cooky..it’s the Addams Family!



What about The Munsters theme? Ah, no.






#6.I’ve Got a Spell on You (Hocus Pocus)
Yeah yeah, the movie is silly but if you’ve read my stuff for any length of time you know I am one of those that still have to watch it every single year. And the song Bette Midler sings is corny, but not awful. Mostly because it’s Midler singing it.








#5.This is Halloween (Nightmare Before Christmas)
I gave Elfman short shrift yesterday so will put another one of his tunes on this list. It’s Another movie I haven’t really seem but I really love the opening song and visuals. It is very well done and just fits the mood beautiful! And by the way, no, this is not a Christmas movie!








#4.I Always Feel Like, Somebody’s Watching Me
This may be a bit of an odd duck but it is creepy and paranoid, so I think if fits. This is one of those songs I like, but can’t explain why. Is it the atmosphere? Is it the mood? Is it the fact Michael Jackson did background vocals? Hard to say. And yes Rockwell is the son of Motown legend Berry Gordy. This was his only real hit but is sure is memorable, one time when a radio station was playing 80’s hits this came on, and yep!






#3.Ghostbusters (1984)
What can I possibly say about this song? I still remember the way it became a sensation in 1984. I mean, it was everywhere! Heck years later my wife would feel the need to answer “Ghostbusters” whenever I asked her who she was gonna call. It’s really a simple song, but the catchy melody will never go away. It’s just perfect! Apparently Huey Lewis sued Parker saying this ripped off “I Want a New Drug”. I don’t hear it, but whatever. The song made Parker a household name.




Oh and not to start an argument but if you’re wondering, I did listen to the theme from the new Ghostbusters movie. It was AWFUL! It totally lacks the charm that made the original a hit. It just gave me a headache. I will not dignify it by sharing. Just my opinion of course if you liked it more power to you.





#2.Monster Mash
This song is just so…perfect! Bobby “Boris” Pickett wrote one of the most memorable tunes ever, it simply is not Halloween without it! Everything works from the creepy vocals to the background to the lyrics. It’s a fantastic party song for your Halloween party.








Is there a better party song that? Oh  my yes…..





#1.Thriller
What else but the song that made Michael Jackson the King of Pop? Ok gotta be honest,  when I said I hadn’t approached the topic of Halloween music the truth is I did cover Thriller three years ago. That being said, I love this song! It wasn’t intended for Halloween exclusively, but what song out there is better than this for a Halloween party? The long version of the music video is a classic, and literally changed the way videos were made. You can find out more in my full article, and the condensed video is below for your enjoyment.







I thought about putting “Grim Grinning Ghosts” from Disney’s Haunted Mansion on here but while I love it, Moviefan12 is already doing his fine series on that. But I decided to share it anyway just to conclude the article but for more information check out the Moviefan’s great look at this amazing song (and ride). The song is one of those anomalies that is both a great song and fantastic Halloween music at the same time!








Any other song that I missed you think belongs here feel free to comment and let me know! Maybe this is the year I finally tackle Christmas songs, guess we’ll find out in a couple months. I’m sure there will be more to come but for now, Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment