October 13, 2016

Analytical Episode Review:ELR, "Halloween Candy"

My plan for next year was to get back to sitcoms, since I have strayed from them especially with my excessive Star Trek focus this year. I really wanted to bring back the Analytical Episode Guide’s, and there was really only one show that made sense to discuss. Everybody Loves Raymond. I have tried to discuss it in other articles but can never say all I want to.  I have a lot to say about this series, and the best way to do it is to cover every episode. But I can talk more about that later, for now since its Halloween I figure I could do a little sneak preview and review their one and only Halloween episode.



So that being said…Halloween sitcom episodes doesn’t get the respect that horror movies and specials do, but there are tons of them out there and some are really good. Today let’s talk about a Halloween episode of Everybody Loves Raymond.






Can Ray ruin another holiday by being preoccupied with sex? He sure tries.




“Halloween Candy”
everybody-loves-raymond-halloween-candy
Aired October 26.1998.



Plot Summary-Debra talks Ray into getting a vasectomy, but after discussing with his friends he chickens out and buys condoms. Later, Frank is handing out candy and when he runs out he unknowingly grabs the bag of condoms Ray had just bought. And begins handing them out to trick or treaters.



Nitpick of the episode-The one thing I never understood, how in the world did the neighbors figure what house the condoms came from?


Best Line-“You think this is so different from who you really are? ”…..Marie reacting to Frank


Deleted Scenes-Um, don’t feel like checking the DVD but I will when I do the real series


Best Character-Frank steals the show dressed as Frankenstein, of course Peter Boyle was in Young Frankenstein!

Awful Debra Moment-I am taking a page from SF Debris with this category, but honestly I don’t have gripe against her in this episode.

Worst Character-Ray, I get your horny but can’t you let your kids trick or treat at least!!!!


Final Thoughts-This episode is far from the worst of the “Ray is horny” episodes we’ll get, more on that next year. And there is enough Halloween in it for it to count as a seasonal episode. You got to love the non-use of the word condoms (referred to as “things” and spermicidal jelly as “stuff”). This show learned from Seinfeld that sometimes not using the word makes it funnier (and it wouldn’t be the only time they would do that either). The funny thing is this episode starts as an episode about vasectomies before it changes gears. And the one scene that is kind of stupid is the one at Nemo’s where Ray gets the “advice” from his friends regarding the vasectomy. Even Debra scoffs at that, why is he listening to them?  And by the way, Home Improvement did it better! As for the Halloween stuff, it’s really done very well. We see the kids dressed up, Marie and Frank also dressed up, and the trick or treating scenes are cute. The first half doesn’t feel it but by the end it really is a cute Halloween episode. It’s nice to see a normal Halloween, no spooky nonsense or anything just a typical family doing what every typical family does on Halloween. Its little things like that which helps me connect to this show. Like the quick scene of Ray taking pictures of his kids, yeah my father did that. But in the end the episode isn’t about Halloween, it’s about horny Ray. And yes he’s annoying the way he wont stop obsessing about it, but the reveal of what happened with the Condoms and Ray’s “comeuppance” at the end is funny. All in all, an enjoyable slice of life episode.


Grade:B-



So I’ll have more to say about ELR next year. But for now, Halloween is just getting started!


No comments:

Post a Comment