October 23, 2016

My Favorite "NOOOO!!"'s From TV and Movies

One of the biggest cliche’s in movies or TV is the yelling of NOOO!!! when things go bad. This is usually a very dramatic moment, though sometimes it can unintentionally silly. This has been done so many times that picking just a few was simultaneously easy and hard. There are dozens of these, but I managed to find my favorites. Though I decided not to limit them to a certain number, these are just some of the one’s I love, in no particular order…




Michael Scott in The Office
Honestly, I am just sharing this because it’s just a cute clip. I have no idea what episode it’s from, nor do I feel like trying to find out. But it’s a nice way to kick off the list. Steve Carel is awesome he can make things that shouldn’t be funny, funny as hell.






Frodo in Lord of the Rings
I don’t think it’s a secret that I have never seen these movies, but that doesn’t mean I am not aware of some of the things that happen in them. One of them being the reaction when Gandolf dies, and Frodo’s very passionate reaction!








Rachel and Monica in Friends
All of the Friends characters have little catchphrases that is part of their character. One of my favorite’s is Rachel and her scream of Noooo! whenever things go awry. Course with her it’s not so much dramatic as funny.





And Monica has a great one too. Though there’s an even better one which I don’t feel like finding a clip for.






Marty in Back to the Future
Michael J Fox has a really great scream here which covers all the anguish her feels seeing his friend apparently gunned down. It makes the moment even more tragic than it already would have been.





Dr. Romano in ER
Some NOOO’S are, well, goofy! Like when the scene doesn’t warrant it or the action of the character is so silly that it takes the drama away. This is a great example. It was time to kill off Dr.Romano so they do this crazy way. A helicopter sputters out of control and falls right on him. Even though he has plenty of time to move. Instead he his the pavement and screams as the thing falls on him. You could almost add a cartoon sound effect it’s so goofy. Is his hilarious or dramatic? You make the call!







Dr.Octopus in Spider-Man 2
The last thing you would ever call the Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies is scary. For the most part they are campy fun. But this scene where Dr.Octopus wipes out the hospital staff was one exception, it was horror movie level of scary for a second. Followed by an epic NOOO!! that I always loved.







Simba in The Lion King
The actual NOOO! all by itself isn’t that great, but when you make it part of the overall horror of the moment, putting it over Mufasa literally falling to his death, it makes for a chilling scene.







Superman in Man of Steel/Superman
There is a lot to not like in Man of Steel, but the way they handled the death of Zod is pretty good. Well, in the scene that it was handled in anyway. After Superman is forced to break Zod’s neck he lets out a scream which does a nice job of conveying all the anguish doing that deed caused him. Would have been nice if that has been followed up on, but whatever. The funny thing is that all of these screams are in dire moments when things go bad, but usually the rest of the movie is still to come. This was the end! It’s strange for a hero to let out a cry of defeat in the climax, which means that in the end Zod wins!



So what about the original Superman movie?


I almost decided that this scenes doesn’t count since he doesn’t really scream NOO!, he just kind of, well,  screams. But man, what a scream! I mean you feel the rage in his heart and you know he’s pissed! Yes the scene that follows it is goofy, which maybe why this yell is kind of forgotten, but the scream itself is beautiful. I get the feeling it’s the kind of things Christopher Reeve did just once (maybe that’s why it’s shot so bad).






Jerry in Seinfeld
Lave it to Seinfeld to turn something that is usually used in dramatic moments, and use it in a moment of utter embarrassment. What else would you say if this happened to you?






Picard in Star Trek:First Contact
Gotta love Jean Luc Picard, even when he is enraged he’s still awesome. This comes when he is being pestered to abandon the ship, but he refuses. And all of his rage and anger at the Borg explode in one  epic NOOOO!!, followed by a kick ass speech. Some have said this was over the top for Picard, but I think this was a long time coming.






Woody in Toy Story
I read or heard somewhere hat for this scene they asked Tom Hanks to do a bunch of Nooo’s so they could pick the one they liked, and they ended up using all of them. I love this movie.








Darth Vader in Revenge of the Sith

I know when I said goofy NOOO’s! this one must have popped into your mind. I don’t get it, what was the thinking here? I was so excited to hear James Earl Jones voice once again, and what does he say? WHINE ABOUT HIS GIRLFRIEND! I mean if he had embraced the dark side complete why did he even care? Lame.





Ok we need a good Star Wars scene, so how about the classic?



Luke Skywalker in Empire Strikes Back
This scene is so classic that I don’t think I have to say a thing about it. And one of the reason it works it’s because it fits, what you would you say if you found out your father was in fact Darth Vader?





 Finally, The Nostalgia Critic ends things as he says No! about twenty different ways.







That’s it for me my friends. If I come up with more I’ll be back For now, Noooooo!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment