April 1, 2020

My Favorite Characters-Ted Kord



Ted Kord



Of course, in reality neither Blue Beetle or Ted Kord were particularly new to comics. They had both appeared in comics for years, and Blue Beetle even went back to the 30’s! Ted Kord was created by Steve Ditko. After reading his origin, I dove into his new ongoing series which more serialized than other comics at the time. One issue would advance two or thr subplots along with the main story. Then of course he joined Justice League International. What was it about this guy that appealed to me so? He wasn’t superhuman, he wasn’t a rich genius, and he had no special powers or abilities. Then it hit me, that is what I liked about him!

Ted Kord was a smart businessman and later tech wizard, but he also felt like a regular guy. He had regular guy demons and regular guy problems. He became a superhero to grant the wish of his dying predecessor, and did his best live up to that promise. Never being sure if he was really succeeding. And since he had no magic scarab, he relied on his wits, cunning, and expertise in tech. It’s true when he became a member of JLI he was often written as a joke. He always had a gag and often didn’t take things seriously. Though sometimes the character was shown respect and allowed to prove that he was a smart and athletic person who could kick ass.  But I’d be lying if even I tired of the way that series often portrayed him. As the JLI era faded we saw more of the turmoil he was going through trying to live in the shadow of the original Blue Beetle, Dan Garrett.

When I stopped reading comics I kept following what my favorite characters were doing anyway. And was very upset to here about the way the character was killed off during the lead up to Infinite Crisis. Not only was it gratuitous but it was just plain unnecessary. Leading the way for the third Blue Beetle, Jaime Reyes. Don’t get me wrong he was fine though I never read his stories. Kord may not have been a A lister but he was respected in universe and out of universe. When he disappeared, legacy and all, with the New 52 it was an insult to the character. Thankfully that has been fixed since the Rebirth event.



A few years ago they finally released the original run of Blue Beeetle in one volume in their “Showcase” series, and I was so excited to get it. The series was written by Len Wein and for more on him, I did a whole tribute to him awhile back.

No comments:

Post a Comment