April 10, 2020

My Favorite Characters-Rey



I commented last time that just because what the creators did with a certain character may not work for you, doesn’t mean the character is irreparably damaged. I got to thinking of a character that I feel that way for. While what they established in the most recent story was weak, does that mean I no longer like the character? Let's talk about…


Rey








I loved Rey in the new movies, she’s the one character that really stuck for me. Daisy Ridley is awesome and did some great work with the character. It’s to bad the writers didn’t follow suit. When we meet her she is an abandoned waif on Jaku waiting for her parents to comes back for her. She has every right to be depressed about her life, but instead she is optimistic and very headstrong.





As she assists her friend Finn sje realizes that she is forcr sensitive. This allows her to escape the clutches of Kalo Ren and seek out the missing Luke Skywalker. It’s Luke who helps to realize that she is force senstive, with a lean to the dark side that she has to learn to stay away from. She is told by Kaylo that her paremnyts were nothing, and there is nothing to keep from joining him. She still resists that because her friends are imporant to her and she cares for them.
 

And then we have the revelation in the final movie. That she is somehow Palpatine’s granddaughter. Something which wasn’t foreshadowed AT ALL. And realty makes no sense. Despite that silliness, Rey is still awesome in that movie. And I liked her final scene where she embraces the name Skywalker. Even if it wasn’t earned as much as it should have been
 

I didn’t hate “The Rise of Skywalker” but it did dispoint me in areas. Esepcially the films tendency to do something daring and risky….only to take it back two minutes layer. For instanc, when Chewie was apparently blow up I was impressed that the movie would do something so risky. Onl to be annoyed when it was taken back two minutes later, they were to cowardly to go through with it. Despite the nitpicks, I like the movie and I loved Rey and watching her journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment