June 18, 2019

Five Batman Characters I Never Liked

So I talked about how the “Superman Family” was pretty large, but to be honest that’s nothing compared to the “Batman family”. It’s funny to think that there was a period when DC wanted Batman to be a loner, which is why Batgirl was retired. That really changed over the years as so many Bat characters have been introduced, including like three Robin’s. I don’t even know half of them! So are there any characters that I don’t care for like with Superman? Believe it or not this was a harder list to put together because the Batman characters tend to be a lot better. But I found a few anyway.
 
 
 

 




Here are five Batman characters I never liked. And like last time , all opinion.





Bat-Mite

Some things work that work for Superman just wont work fro Batman. In an attempt to give Batman a “Mr Mxyzptlk” type, we had this annoying imp in the solver age. Who was stupid. I don’t what he did or what his powers were and I don’t care enough to look it up. And yet, he’s made a comeback? Well sort of, usually he appears in the form of bizarre hallucinations. God the Silver Age was lame.








Ace the  Bat Hound

Speaking of the stupid Silver Age. You know, I almost feel bad for what I said about Krypto. I mean, I supposes it is possible that a Krypton had canine’s and one made it to Earth…nah forget it, still dumb. But even dumber was when they tried to put a dog in the Batman books. Ace stuck around for a short time, and was just laamme. I guess this was because at the time superheroes were fading so creators were trying to find new characters. Unlike Krypto I don’t think Ace lasted very long. Course he had no personality at all. But still, a dog?




What’s next a Bat-Ape?


I WAS KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!








Batwoman

Let’s put aside the more modern versions of this character, who kicked ass, and talked about the stupid silver age version. She was invented for one simple reason..so that people wouldn’t think the Dynamic Duo were gay. Well if a character is created for such as silly reason she’s obviously not going to last. I mean, she had a Utility purse!! Kathy didn’t last but more modern days she has returned…and her new identity makes her original creation all the more ironic. By the way at the same time Batwoman was around we had Robin fan girl Bat-Girl, aka Bette Kane later FlameBird, and she was a little better.









Silver St Cloud

Bruce has had a lot of girlfriends. From Julie Madison to Vicki Vale (whatever happened to her??). One of the most boring was Silver. Fans of “Gotham” may be screaming at me but in the comics, in my opinion, Silver had nothing going for her. She dated Bruce Wayne, realized he was Batman, and then dumped him. Yeah these stories are fondly remembered by fans, and I even have them myself, but she was a boring character who quietly disappeared until being brought back many years later.









“The First Batman” aka Thomas Wayne

What is the dumbest Batman story? Yeah there are plenty of contenders, but this is one of mine. Let me first say why I am putting Thomas here. There are people who say that Jonathan Kent only works best if he dies, for this is an important lesson for Superman. I feel that goes for Thomas Wayne also. His only role is that he was killed in an alley with his wife when Bruce was little. That’s all we really need. And yet, stories try to do more with him. Sometimes it’s little things, like showing how stern he was. And then we had one ridiculous story from the old days about how Thomas was “the first Batman”. It appears a few years before being gunned down, Thomas wore a Bat costume to a masquerade ball (that young Bruce loved). En route he happened on a mugging and actually jumped in an helped. And did a decent job! The criminals realized it was Thomas, leading to the hiring of Joe Chill to kill him and his wife years layer. The rest of the story is Batman reminding the mob boss of this,,,and it’s is all ridiculous and unnecessary. Bruce finding the cave as a child is enough, we don’t need this extra layer of Thomas inspiring the Bat idea. The fact the three were leaving “Zorro” that night is plenty. Bruce’s transformation works better knowing that he had to build all of it himself. Thank goodness this story was swept away after the Crisis an we didn’t see a canon Thomas Wayne again until Flashpoint. And, to be fair, they did a much better job with him there. Though I think they may have overused him since.










You may have noticed that most of these are silver age. That’s because I couldn’t come up with one more recent. You gotta hand it to the creators for creating new characters, like Cassandra Cain, and reinventing old, like Jason Todd, and making them all compelling and interesting in their own ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment