June 29, 2019

A Look at “Rapid Aging Syndrome” in Sitcoms

One thing that soap opera’s own is that habit of taking a baby or young child and rapidly aging them, sometimes over an episode! I guess it is easier to deal with a child who can read and understand how to act rather than trying to work with babies (and the strict limitations around them). Soap Opera Digest is the first to give the the name Rapid Aging Syndrome, as it’s also known on Tv Tropes. But the truth is this isn’t limited to soap opera’s. Sitcoms also do this, with mixed results.





So let’s run down ten examples of a baby cast member being aged over a season, and see if the decision was for the best… or the worst. Of course, all opinion here.






Family Ties

This is one I remember because it was the first time I had ever heard of this happening on any show. When Brian Bonsall first appeared as Andy, I was very confused. Did the toddler really age that fast? Or did the whole series jump five years between seasons? But I guess I was just overthinking it. And while Bonsall was not the greatest actor, the character did add something to the show which helped it as the series went into its final years. He never took over as others did.







Full House

This one did not work as well, in my opinion. I think the creators wanted another “Michelle” in there. Of course as she hit age 6 Mary Kate and Ashley weren’t cute anymore. So they aged Nicky and Alex to compensate. The problem is that Blake and Dylan Tuomy-Wilhoit were two of the worst kid actors ever. You can almost see them reading there lines off screen. So the result was a change that we didn’t need and added very little.








Growing Pains

I didn’t know of this one, so was quite surprised when 5 yeaar old Ashley Johnson walked out in her first scene. What happened to the baby? But I have to admit, Johnson was a good addition. With the three leads being to old the show needed a little cuteness. And they were smart enough to give Chrissy a real character, so she became interesting to watch and even got some decent episodes.







Fresh Prince

I thought Independence Day came first, but I checked and I was wrong. Anyway, getting ahead of myself. In the final season of this show it was decided to age baby Nicky. And I guess it was ok, the baby was basically ignored. In fact the only episode he really got any focus in was one where we flash forwarded to see him older. Ross Bagley was a good actor and you can’t deny his chemistry with Will Smith. Oh and you gotta love the way they introduced this change. They had Nicky walk in and when Jazz asks who that is, Will explains it’s baby Nicky. Jazz shakes and head and leaves, confused.







Murphy Brown

In Season 11 it was decided to give Murphy breast cancer, for some reason. In order for her to be able to have conversations with her son about it, he was aged a bit. And played by 9-year-old Haley Joel Osment, how cool is that? I guess that explains why the kid was a decent actor and I really can’t fault there reasoning for advancing his age a few years.








Boy Meets World

Does this one count? Let’s discuss it anyway. Morgan was the younger sister of Cory and Eric. She was around for the first two seasons, before vanishing for some unexplained reason. She would be brought back in season three, played by a different actress and aged a bit. How? Why? No one asked. I can’t say if this change was for the best, I never watched, but while I did think Lily was adorable it seems they gave Morgan more to do and more character when she was older. By the way I do love the way Girl Meets World handled this in their final episode. They simply had the actresses who played her, Lily Nicksay and Lindsay Ridgeway, swap playing Morgan….in the same scene!! What fourth wall??








Step By Step

So Boy Meets World got away with it, not so much for Step By Step. There was just something about the change to age 5 for poor Lily that was jarring. I think the problem was that the show tried to ficus around her. In these other examples, the characters were there but they didn’t take over. Not so much with Lily. The whole dynamic of the shoe changed. Or maybe the show was just bad by then, either way. No offense to Emily Mae Young.








Family Matters

I forgot this one entirely. In season one baby Richie was, well, a baby. In season two he was age advanced a few years. And while they could have waited until the baby grew up, Bryton McClure was so great at the role I don’t think anyone is complaining. McClure would go on to have a very strong career by the way.








Last Man Standing

Just in case you were wondering if this still happened. Yep. Boyd was two in the first season and was five in the second. The change helped to make Boyd an actual character on the show, and you’d have to ask someone who watched to find out how that went.








Home Improvement

And since we’re talking about Tim Allen, let’s have one more from his other show. In the final scene the creators brought in Tim’s niece’s Claire and Gracie as regulars. Clearly aged a few years, they were there..to be there. I have no idea why, and they added nothing but give the writers excuses to come with girlie story lines. And they have been forgotten since the show ended.








And that was all I came up with, so if I missed an example you think I should have mentioned feel free to comment and let me know. It’s always funny the little things us viewers will ignore when we watch our favorite shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment