August 13, 2015

Top 10 Favorite DC Comics Superheroes

Yeah here’s another list I really should have done already. I loved DC comics as a kid, and continue to be a fan to this day. So I decided to list my favorite superheroes. I’ve already done rogue’s galleries and supporting characters, so this one is long overdue. This list is the characters I loved to read about in the comics. If we were talking animated shows and movies, this list would be very different. And the big thing here is this is based mostly on the comic books I loved as a kid, so some characters may have changed but I am going what I grew up with.



While some of these aren’t going to be a shocker if you read my stuff I think I may have one or two things on this list which will surprise you. The only rule is no groups, that’s another list my friends.




#10.
Martian Manhunter

This is one of those characters I had to really learn to like. But this guy has a sadder back story than Superman. He lost his planet and his family. But he found a surrogate one on Earth with the Justice League. Which version? All of them. He is a very gentle soul who only fights because he has to. But when he kicks ass he really kicks ass. He’s even respect by Batman as someone who has been around longer and really knows his stuff.





#9.
Black Canary

The only woman to make the list (sorry Wonder Woman), Black Canary just rocks! Yeah Green Arrow is kind of cool but there is something awesome about Canary. And before anyone asks, no I never read “Birds of Prey”. I know Gail Simone is awesome and I really should check that out one of these days. Canary has had different costumes and even back stories over the years, but no matter what she is always awesome. Kind, compassionate, and can kick your in a second! Did I mention she was also kind of hot?





#8.
Booster Gold

I had no interest in this guy when he came around. It wasn’t until he joined the Justice League in the 90’s that I started to realize he even existed. As time went I started to become a real fan. The thing with Booster is that he isn’t in it for just altruistic motives. That doesn’t mean he isn’t a jerk, but the guy wants to be famous. He has a pretty neat back story. I didn’t start reading his old series until it was almost done, but have since read them all thanks to Showcase. I also picked up a trade collecting his newer series and really liked it.




#7.Nightwing


I Like Dick Grayson, he may be one of the best characters I ever read.  Grayson could have become like Batman, a loner who lives in the shadows and has no life outside his work. But Grayson saw how Lonely that made Batman and decided he didn’t want that life. He wanted friends, he wanted companions, and he need to be part of something more than just prowling the streets of Gotham night after night. Now I never read his solo series set in Bludhaven so I have no idea how his character changed then. But as the leader of the Titans, he was awesome. And when he worked alongside Batman he was even more awesome.





#6.The Flash (Wally West)

I was one of the many I guess who didn’t care much about Barry Allen. I kind of agreed with the consensus that he was boring and bland. But when Wally West took over, the character got much more interesting. This was a Flash with real problems like money and wanting to know why he lost his powers. When he fell in love with Linda Park it was awesome. As I was done reading comics in the 90’s this is one I still kept an eye on. And I think we all know my feelings on the old and new TV series based on Flash.





#5.BATMAN

Wait, what? Batman is only #5??? The truth is, there are more things I don’t like about Batman than things I like. I hate the dark stories, I hate the depressing mythos, and I can’t get into a lot of the villains. Ok HATE is a very strong word, just say I prefer lighter stuff. You already guessed my #1 right? I like Batman, don’t get me wrong, but sometimes the stories get to dark and I just don’t have that love so many others do. I do like the detective stuff (why do the movies always forget he is supposed to the greatest detective??. The only time we saw examples of that was in Batman Forever and the original Batman). Anyway, a lot of people like Batman because he has no amazing powers, so it’s possible anyone can be Batman. And that doesn’t work for me as well. Now don’t get me wrong he does have to be a little grim and dark. Those early 70’s stories where he is casually hanging out the commissioner in broad daylight are ridiculous. Batman is a great character, incredibly smart and cunning, and I get why he is so popular.





#4.BLUE BEETLE

SpecificallyI an referring to the Ted Kord version. I had no idea who this character was until he popped in an issue of Secret Origins in the 80’s. I ended up loving his short lived series, which thankfully has finally been collected in a Showcase volume. There is just something about this guy which is likeable. He is a lot like Batman in that he doesn’t have powers so he does what he can with technology. But unlike Batman, Beetle is a happy person who likes to joke around. He can be serious at times, and always kicks ass. After his solo series tanked he continued on in the pages on the Justice League. He comes off a joke, but he’s really awesome and loyal. I have heard good things about the third Beetle but the Ted Kord one will always be my favorite.






#3.FIRESTORM

Again I am referring to the Ron Raymond/Martin Stein version that was around in the 80’s. I actually got familiar with this character in the Super Powers cartoon which ran in the late 80’s. Eventually that led me to the comics, and this character was great! Maybe because I was roughly the same as the character, so I could relate to him. He series in the 80’s was a lot of fun..until they ruined it but that’s another story. He was also a member of the JLA and was cool there too. They have killed him and brought him back, I think he is gone these days, but I love those old issues of his old series. And the fact he was in The Flash TV series? Hell yeah!







#2.GREEN LANTERN

Some ask why Hal Jordan is considered the greatest GL of all time when Kyle Rainer is a pretty awesome character. Well, yes Rainer is a good character. But Jordan is the greatest because he deserves to called the greatest. He truly has no fear (that was a big thing before it was changed) and is also the nicest guy around. I first encountered him on Superfriends which led me to his comic series. Green Lantern has a lot of crap on him, from his girlfriend turning into a super villain to his bosses he Guardians being jerks whenever the mood strikes. But no matter what he does his duty and does it well. And yes, I am one of the few who kind of liked the movie despite it having problems. And while I am not a huge Green Arrow fan, when he and Hal teamed up it was always a fun read.






#1.SUPERMAN


What haven’t I said about The Man of Steel? The truth is, I dont like his comic books stories before the John Byrne era. Those stories tend to make Superman a bit of a jerk. Byrne made him into a nice guy (among other changes), and I learned to love reading his stories. I talked about the reasons I didn’t like Batman, and basically it’s the opposite reasons I love Superman. He has all these powers, and uses them to help people. That’s awesome! I would love to be able to fly or zap people with heat beams. And his stories tend to be more upbeat and positive. Yeah Superman escaped the loss of his home planet but he doesn’t brood about it like Batman, he uses that  to remind of why he does what he does. And since he was raised by two good people he has a real heart and truly cares for people.








So, why no Wonder Woman?

I liked her in the cartoons but this list is based solely on the comics. And Wonder Woman never did anything for me. Yeah she kicked ass as part of the JLA, but on her own her stories never really interested me. I did try reading the 80’s George Perez run, but it didn’t last very long before I dropped it. I also read some of the John Byrne run and that was Ok too. But I read that because I like Byrne’s writing. I admire the character and like her when she works with others (especially Superman), but on her own she’s kinda boring.





Well my friends I guess it’s only fair to do my top 10 Superhero teams now. Look for that coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment