August 10, 2015

Top 15 Favorite Muppet’s (plus a few I Hate!)


 



In the past I have done several Muppet articles, but all have been about the various TV shows and Movies the characters have been in. I have never really go into the characters I liked, and why i like them. Ok a few times one or two would pop up in another list, but it didn’t cover every Muppet and it didn’t go into detail. So today, I wanted to rectify that. I present to you my favorite characters out of all the amazing creations that have come out of Jim Henson Productions.



Not every Jim Henson production involves Muppets. For instance the 90’s show Dinosaurs was Jim Henson but those weren’t Muppets. Though I loved Baby Sinclair. And while Fragile Rock does count, I never watched the show so sadly none of them will appear. And no animated stuff like The Muppet Babies, live action only. So this list includes The Muppet Show, Sesame Street, and all Muppet movies.



Why 15? Did you really think I could limit this to 10? It went up to 12 and then 14.





#15.Robin
Robin_the_Frog
This is one of the sweetest characters ever. He is just adorable and innocent, how can you not love him? Honestly I almost put Rizzo here, but while Rizzo is funny he doesn’t have the legacy behind him that Robin does. Though he has kind of faded, in fact both Rizzo and Robin appear in Muppet’s Most Wanted to call out there lack of a role in “The Muppets”. Robin is Kermit’s nephew, and I love the relationship between the two. His best role may have been in the John Denver Holiday Special, which I reviewed already, or as Tiny Tim in The Muppet Christmas Carol.







14.Walter
"THE MUPPETS" Ph: John E. Barrett ©Disney Enterprises, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
The only character on this list to strictly come from the movies. This one surprised the hell out of me. High on the list since he is new, but who would have ever thought this character would be so well done? To look at him he seems as bland as a Muppet can be! There was just something about him I really related to, and I love the message about finding who you really are. He was so well performed, so enthusiastic and willing to please. I love that he found where he belonged at the end!






13.Statler and Waldorf
TMS-Statler&Waldorf-BalconyBox
This isn’t a tie these two are pair. These guys a guaranteed laugh. They were usually the best part of The Muppet Show with their quips and one liners. And while it’s often hard to insert them into other Muppet productions, they are usually there at some point commenting and cracking jokes. And do I need to mention their cameo in Muppet Christmas Carol?







12.Slimey The Worm
be150bd5f127bf45c229af9a3da73698
Yeah, I know. A worm??? What is so great about a worm? Well, he happens to a very smart worm. And he is so….cute I guess. And he can do some amazing stuff, he even wen into space once!! I love the friendship between him and Oscar. Slimey is mot his pet, there is actual respect and friendship there!






11.Prairie Dawn
prairie
I thought for sure I had discussed her before (aside from brief mentions in my Special TV articles) but can’t find where I did. I think I meant to but for whatever reason the article was changed. I don’t know, after 550 articles and four years it’s kind of hard to remember. So, why do I love her? Because she kicks ass! She is a female (obviously) but she’s a take charge female. She is also sweet and caring. She usually runs plays or other productions, and is just freaking cool!  Oh sure once in awhile she may panic when a production looks like it is going to run into trouble, but her level headedness always wins in the end.







10.Scooter
Scooter
I admire this guys origination skills. He is always there, trying to keep the show running. He’s also a loyal servant to Kermit, always calling him boss, but of course Kermit isn’t a jerk he treats Scooter like an equal. His character was kind of pompous when he first appeared, but has since softened and become a really fun character. People forget that he gets involved in the show at times, even sitting in with the band. And I always loved he opened every single episode of the Muppet Show by knocking on the star’s door and announcing it was almost show time!






9.Grover
grover
Hello there! How could you not resist this cute little monster? He was timid and not the brightest…but man did he try! He tried so hard that he even became a supehero. Who doesn’t love Super Grover? He sort of acts like a kid who is trying hard to be an adult but isn’t. Some of the cutest segments on the show come with Grover and his charming innocence. One of my favorite Sesame Street segments ever was Madeline Khan singing with Grover. It’s adorable.







8.Rowlf
Rowlf+yamaha
Rowlf is is a great dog, and  just a great character. He has so much heart, and plays a hell of a piano. He’s also pretty funny, the sketches he used to do on The Muppet Show still make me laugh out loud. The funny think is that Rowlf was around for ages, even predating Kermit. It’s true, Rowlf was a big name and even introduced Kermit way back when. He has fades a bit since Henson died, but I adore him. He is so calm and cool which may be his most charming trait. It’s a nice change from the others who always seem to be, well, nuts.






7.Animal
AN_004
What can I say? HE’S ANIMAL!! He always gets a laugh, every time he is on screen. But the truth is, he does have a good heart. He was the first to realize Kermit wasn’t Kermit in The Muppet Most Wanted, and was not amused. He saved the day in The Muppet Movie in hilarious fashion. And man, can he bang on those drums!!






6.Oscar The Grouch
Oscar-the-Grouch-with-Flowers
What the hell can I say about this grouch? I think what I love about this character, and Sesame Street, ks they they don’t hold back on it. He really is a grouch! He can be mean, nasty, even sadistic (see Christmas Eve on Sesame Street if you don’t believe me). Why do we love him? Well it’s nice to have a miserable character to contract the blissful happiness that prevails on Sesame Street. It’s also fun to watch him thoroughly enjoy being miserable. But more than that, he has a good heart. I mentioned Slimey, and they really were friends. Oscar is probably the most quotable character, and always a tom of fun.







5.Big Bird
Electric-Mayhem-Muppets-band
Played by the same actor as Oscar, Big Bird is happy and positive, always looking on the bright side. Oscar is negative and cranky. He’s only happy when others are miserable! Carol Spinney always joked about what a contrast his two characters were. Big Bird hugely successful because kids could relate to him. He was around 3 when the show began, though at some point he aged to six. And so he didn’t understand many things. Very often he would need to be explained things by the human characters, especially when he started to get upset or worried. I mean, what else can I say? He’s Big Bird!!!







4.Bert and Ernie
_68792356_lead-body
This isn’t a tie, they belong together (and no not that way, stop that!!). These are the two I remember loving first, before any other character. There is just something in the way they balance each other out. Ernie is innocence and childlike, while Bert is more uptight. He’s the perfect straight man, tolerating the nonsense Ernie throws at him. They both help to make the other better. Ernie needs Bert’s guidance while Bert needs Ernie’s mroe care free nature. They’re early bits are some of the best stuff in Sesame Street. I have no idea what the characters are up to these days, but that classic stuff is just gold.





#3.Fozzie Bear
muppets4





#2.Miss Piggy
Miss-Piggy



I wanted to discuss Fozzie and Piggy together, so here we are. These are two characters which The Muppets just couldn’t work without. Unlike Gonzo, who’s role always changes depending on the project, Piggy and Fozzie are always there as the loyal companions. Piggy loves him with all her heart, and Fozzie is his loyal friend who would do anything for him. When Fozzie lets Kermit down, he is ashamed. He is a comedian though not nearly as funny as he thinks he is. I think Kermit gets annoys with Fozzie at times but knows that he has a good heart and really means well. Kermit also gets annoyed with Piggy, but for different reasons. I adore Piggy and have watched things just because she is in it. She is tough, no-nonsense and doesn’t let anything get the netter of her. But she also has her sweet side too. Kermit is lucky to have these two around him.






1.Kermit (duh)

Kermit isn’t just a great Muppet, he is a fantastic character which is why we love him even after we’ve stopped being kids. When I was a kid, he wasn’t really my favorite. I remember his “News Flashes” on Sesame Street were only Ok. There were Muppets I loved more. But the older I got the more I loved him. How could you not love this guy…er, frog. One of my favorite movies which is not popular is the Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie. Because that one shows very clearly how important Kermit is. He is a nice frog and has no ego, but his drive to fulfill his dream is so strong it drives his friends right along with him! Every time they do separate they eventually find each other again. He needs them as much as they need him. Watch “Pictures in my Head” and not tear up. I dare ya! He is a born leader and has no ego. He doesn’t want to better than anyone, he just wants to entertain and make people happy.  What’s wrong with that? And yes Rainbow Connection is on my Ipod.





Would you believe I thought this would be easy? Nope. But considering the cast of characters I had to sort through, that’s not bad. I left off some great one’s like Sam the Eagle (he can be funny), Swedish Chef, Cookie Monster (how did he not get a slot!! Actually it’s because he has no real personality outside loving cookies), Beaker, Telly Monster, and way to many more to name.



But I don’t love all of them, so here real quick are a few I really can’t stand.




Bobo The Bear
Character.bobo
Is he supposed to be a good guy? Is he a bad guy? Why does he look like they messed up his design and went with anyway? This guy bugs me.
Pepe
Pepe-thumbs-up
Again, are we supposed to like or hate him? His role seems to flip depending on what the show or movie is. I can’t stand this…what is he again? it doesn’t matter he’s annoying and the worst part is they keep trying to advance his character to the level of Kermit and Fozzie. NOOO!!!!!





Clifford
Clifford+no+glasses
In case you couldn’t guess, I hated Muppets Tonight. Clifford does nothing for me. Yeah i guess he’s kind of cool, but I don’t like him.’





Two Headed Monster
Tumblr-Two-HeadedMonster
I never like him (them?). Just annoyed me.







Lew Zealand
LewZealand_Large
I get that the whole idea was that he was kind of obnoxious, but I never found it charming. Just obnoxious.







Yip Yips
The-Yip-Yips-Martians
These guys DROVE ME CRAZY when I was a kid! I just hated them! They are aliens who appear on Earth and say “yip” “yip” over and over while exploring some Earth technology. They annoyed the heck out of me! I put on a clip on YouTube and it was all I could do to sit through it. Why won’t they stop making that sound!!!! Argh!!!

Um, sorry did I overreact?




Anyway, have I missed any? What about…..

Elmo ???
Elmo
As I’ve talked about, Elmo just doesn’t have that place in mu heart. Yeah I just never learned to love Elmo. I don’t hate him either, he can be cute and fun. But the way Sesame Street has overused and commercialized this character has really hurt him. It really was a good character, mirroring three year old’s perfectly! But When you get sick of a character because he’s around all the time, that’s just not good. But I do like him so he deserves at least a mention.





And finally before everyone goes nuts I also left off…
Gonzo
Gonzo2011
Gonzo is as loyal a friend as you can get. He also is a thrill seeker and always puts himself in danger. Problem is his character is kind of all over the place. When he is being sincere and kind I like him, but when he is being more, well, weido-ish I don’t like him as much. It seems very often the creators just don’t know what to do with the poor guy, he mooned over Miss Piggy in the show for some reason. In The Muppets he was a plumbing magnate? What??? And Muppet’s Most Wanted we saw him do nothing to rescue his friend Kermit, being pushes aside by Walter. Ok, he was good in A Muppet Christmas Carol, you got me there. But the one time was the sole focus of a project was Muppets in Space and, well, we don’t discuss Muppets in Space.







Well my friends, I think I’ve covered it all. This is my 550th Blog so I wanted to do something a little special. I hope you liked it, and please comment and let me know if I missed your favorite. Until next time, be good to yourselves.

1 comment:

  1. The chef what was his name and what was some of his favorite phrase that he would say






    ReplyDelete