August 27, 2015

Ten Things I Love From Marvel

I’m a DC Comics Fan
Duh


But it occurs to me that I’ve written a bunch of blogs regarding DC Comics, but have entirely ignored Marvel. Except for mentioning how cool Spider-Man’s rogues gallery was that is. The truth is there are things that Marvel in one way or another produced that I did really like. So, in the interest of fairness I present these things. They can be anything from comics to TV shows to movies…as long as it has something to do with a Marvel property.



This list is in no particular order.





10.Video Games

I swear I remember playing a Marvel video game, but I looked it up and couldn’t remember which one it was. But these games were usually pretty cool, and who didn’t want to be Captain America of Spider-Man? Not much else to say but I had Sega Genesis and loved Game Boy so there had to a be a few Spider-Man games in there somewhere.











9.X-Men cartoon theme song

Yeah I have no great love for the X-Men. And I never watched the cartoon growing up. But man was that opening intro awesome! Really got nothing else to say, this made you excited to see the show and what more could you want?









8.Secret Wars Figures

Ok, this one may be hard to explain. When the event comic Secret Wars was a big hit, Marvel did a tie in of action figures under that name. I’m sure it had nothing to do with DC’ Super Powers action figures that were out then. These figures came with shields which were lame but the figures themselves were awesome! I loved Doctor Doom, he just seemed like the biggest badass villain just by the action figure. I know it sounds odd but these toys were my intro to most of these characters. I had most of them, including some I don’t even know the comic counterparts like Baron Zemo and Kang. Wolverine was pretty kick ass too. But who was my absolute favorite? Come with me to #8.







7.Iron Man

Just…Iron Man! I love this guy! I already mentioned the action figures, my favorite being Iron Man. But it was more than that, this just seemed like the coolest character ever when I was. I didn’t know Tony Stark or the backstory but it didn’t matter. I loved it so much I even picked up an Iron Man comic. I put it back down again, but still. There was just something about the guy in the iron suit which I thought was awesome. And the movies? I saw the first and third and thought they were both really good. Robert Downy Jr was perfectly cast. Iron Man rules!!!









6.Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends

I have gone on and on about this show. Yeah it was kind of corny 80’s fare, but I loved it. It simply wasn’t Saturday Morning without that awesome intro. The amazing friends were Ice Man and Firestar, and this show even featured the X-Men in a few episodes. I just loved this cartoon! My first real intro to Spider-Man was in The Electric Company but I barely remember that. This is the one that I remember! Unlike Superfriends they didn’t dumb down heroes for the cartoon, it was a pretty good adaptation of the comics at the time.  Sure not as good as the 90’s show that would come later, but for what it was it was really decent!










5.Spider-Man Movies (Sam Raimi)

Yeah these movies were kind of goofy I guess but I enjoyed them. I thought the actors were good, the effects decent, and the villains were certainly memorable. Yeah OK Venom wasn’t used enough in the third movie but whatever. And I like Molina’s Dr.Octopus he really did a good job (and I hate Molina). Yes, I am saying I enjoyed Spider-Man 3. Though it wasn’t perfect. What about the Garfield movies? Eh……









4.The Incredible Hulk TV Show

This is one of those shows I know I watched but don’t remember well. But I love Bill Bixby in this, perfect casting. I didn’t like his other stuff (Courtship of Eddie’s Father was soooooo bad). Lou Ferrigno? What can I say, he was perfect and really sold the character. I know how hard is it to see the Hulk? But he did a good job making it clear there was humanity in there. I still remember seeing his make-up being applied on an episode of Mr.Roger Neighborhood. I do remember the reunion movies, The Return was boring. The Trial was disappointing. And finally there was The Death of The Incredible Hulk which I really need to talk more about at another time. This character never interested me in comics, but the TV show rocked. Oh and one other cool thing was the kickass opening, which set the mood perfectly!









3.The Amazing Spider-Man:The Saga of the Alien Costume

One of the very, very few Marvel trade’s I ever picked  up and read. And enjoyed it! I wish I still had it so I could flip through it. Truth is I don’t remember it well, maybe someday I will get it again. But this trade is why I was very excited to see Spider-Man 3, when I saw that it was going to be Venom I was thrilled! Then I saw the movie, but that’s another story………









2.DC Comics Crossovers

Ok this could be a cheat, but I love the company wide crossover’s between Marvel and DC. Well, most of them anyway. Even I have to appreciate seeing these heroes interacting with one another. The first was Superman vs Spider-Man and is a very big story. But worth the read. The next Superman/Spider-Man was not that good, to convoluted. Then came Batman vs. The Hulk. How could that work? Well, it does! Thought it’s definitely more of a Batman story. Then The New Teen Titans teamed up with the X-Men in one of he few X-Men stories I ever read. There were later team-ups including Batman and Spider-Man, and JLA vs Avengers which was decent, but the coolest has to be the DC VS Marvel book which actually had these two world’s competing once and for all. I know Marvel won..but that’s OK.










1.Avengers Movie

I simply loved this movie. It just came together so well! And I am no Avengers fan, but the fact that there were other movies to flesh out the characters was brilliant. And the fact this is was not a depressing, mopey movie was a nice change of pace. It felt like a superhero movie, at least the kind I always wanted to see. I’m sorry to say I did miss out on the sequel, but the first movie did not disappoint! I could go on and on but already did a whole blog on it. Fantastic movie!









Alright guys what do you think, have I made up for snubbing Marvel so much lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment