November 21, 2011

Top 5 Thanksgiving Special’s I Watch Every Year



This is a two part article, the second being about my favorite Thanksgiving sitcom episodes. Here, I want to talk about specials. Unlike Christmas and Halloween, there really aren’t that many Thanksgiving specials around. I guess when you think about it, Thanksgiving isn’t that exciting a holiday. There are no costumes or scary decoration. There are no presents, no stress and aggravation trying to find the perfect gift. No legendary characters to make dozens of stories about. I mean, how many times can you tell the story of the 1st Thanksgiving? However, over the years there are a few specials which have made it onto TV and I wanted to share them with you. It would not be Thanksgiving without these shows.


#5. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.


Yes, I know this is a movie, but I had to add it. I gotta own up, I hadn’t seen this movie in years until recently. I always thought I hated it, and so I avoided it. Then I put it on, and not only was it actually funny and well written, it was also a pretty decent Thanksgiving movie. The whole plot is about Steve Martin trying to get home for the holiday, except that John Candy complicates things. As things keep happening both guys learn some lessons about themselves, and become friends. I enjoy this movie now, and figure I must have been too young when I first saw it.



#4. A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving.
This classic is about Charlie Brown being forced to cook a dinner for his friends Pepperment Patty and Marcy. Snoopy thankfully helps out but all they serve is popcorn and toast. Charlie Brown’s grandma then saves he day by inviting his friends over with his family for dinner. I will be honest, this is not my favorite Charlie Brown special. It seems like they didn’t have enough story, several minutes is just music while Snoopy does silly things. On top of that, I don’t like the story very much. It’s Patty’s personality to be bossy but she really gets pushy in this one. Not only does she force Charlie Brown to have them over, she gets mad when the dinner does not meet expectations. I love her in the Easter special, here she is just a bitch. Is that why Lucy disappears, because Patty is being pushy enough for both? Anyway, this is still a Thanksgiving special and I do watch it every year. I just don’t enjoy it as much as others. Though it is cute to see Snoopy dressed a Pilgrim.



#3. A Winnie The Pooh Thanksgiving.
This was a really good special, as we get another story about how much of a control freak Rabbit is. Why are there so many Winnie the Pooh stories centered around him? Anyway, Rabbit has planned a typical Thanksgiving feast, and when his friends bring odd items like acorns he sends them to get traditional food because it just can’t be Thanksgiving without things like turkey. Winnie the Pooh and Piglet go to get a turkey, Tigger and Eeyore collect cranberries, and Gopher works on the pies. This all works out as you can imagine, with everything getting destroyed. Rabbit is disappointed and says the holiday is ruined. However his friends put a meal together based on what they have and invite Rabbit, because it wouldn’t be a holiday without him. Rabbit learns you don’t need decorations or a turkey to have Thanksgiving; you just need friends around you.



#2.Garfield’s Thanksgiving.

Yeah, this is what I call a Thanksgiving special! I loved it for a couple of reasons. The beginning is basically a typical Garfield story. Jon takes Garfield to the vet, Liz, where Jon hits on her. Liz puts Garfield on a diet, and of course he is not happy about. He moans and gripes, while Jon gets ready to have Liz come over for Thanksgiving dinner. When she does come over, Liz changes her mind about the diet. However, Jon is a horrible cook and Garfield spoiled the food he had prepared. Now there is a no dinner, what do they do? Call grandma, of course! While Jon keeps Liz entertained (or bored) grandma comes in and saves the day. This is my favorite Garfield special, it feels like it came right off the comics page. There are classic Garfield gags and very little music, which I think spoil a lot of the other specials. My favorite part is when Garfield explains to Odie that Thanksgiving is the day people celebrate food by eating as much of it as possible. Gotta love a cartoon that doesn’t force education down your throat, it’s just good fun.


#1.Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade
What can I say? 85 years and still going strong. Seriously, can you imagine Thanksgiving without this on in the morning? I know I couldn’t. I have been watching this as long as I can remember. It’s hard to remember the parade when I was a kid, but some memories stick out. In 1984 they had a Master of the Universe float which was really cool. Then around 1989 Alf co-hosted. I always remember how excited he got at the Garfield balloon. There is always a sesame street float, all kinds of celebrities, and great music acts. The Rockette’s of course, and the balloons! Kermit, Superman, Bart Simpson, Snoopy, Mickey Mouse…and that barely scratches the surface! The two most famous have to be Woody Woodpecker and Underdog. These two balloons have been the subject of more Thanksgiving related jokes than I can imagine.

Maybe someday I will actually see this parade live, but I have no problem watching it from home. It is a true tradition, and the best part is always the end when Santa Claus makes his appearance. You always felt then that the holiday’s had officially started, and what a great way to kick them off indeed!

Finally, what about the Bugs Bunny specials? Never saw them, and they were really just excuses to show old clips.  

Next time we will dive into my favorite sitcom episodes. There may not be a whole lot of specials, but sitcom episodes are another story. Sitcoms are a natural for Thanksgiving shows, but we’ll talk more about that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment