November 12, 2021

Reconsidering "The Great Muppet Caper"

When it comes to the Muppet theatrical movies they are hit or miss for me.


The Muppet Movie-A little slow, relies way to much on cameos but the good moments make it worth it. Also, a good origin movie, to this day we still have never gotten another "how the Muppets met" story (Muppet Babies doesn't count).

Muppets Take Manhattan-I loved this movie as a kid it has charm and some sad moments too. The ending is pointless but ok.

Muppets in Space-Awful

Muppet Christmas Carol & Treasure Island-I have no major issues they are both fine

The Muppets-Yeah, I had issues when it came out but overall not bad.

Muppets Most Wanted-Winner of the "trying way to hard" award




But wait, I missed one! Which? Well....



Of course!! The one movie I can't seem to remember!


Yeah for sone reason the second movie is the one black hole for these movies for me. If I saw it, I don't remember it. Of course, I know what it's about and have seen scenes from it over the years, but it raises the question-- Why did it either leave no impact when I saw it or not interest ne enough to check it out? I can't believe I didn't see a Muppet movie at 7 years old! Since this is the 40th anniversary of the movie I decided to finally watch it and see if I could find out what the issue is.




Well the 4th wall gags start right off the gate. I am always a little warm about them. They do them a little to much I think, it annoys me. Here they basically riff the opening credits. This leads to the first big music number about how they're making another movie.  They then explain the plot and who they are playing, and already the movie starts to lose me. And to be fair the 4th wall stuff is dialed down a lot after the opening, so fair enough. Despite my snark the opening number is the best part of the film. 





While I love watching Kermit in his trench coat from his Sesame Street days, they're not playing themselves? I guess the they are a reporting team and true to cliche, they are fired two minutes into the movie. Why does every movie about a reporter have to have the reporter getting fired at the start? it's Ok the movie gives up on the reporter thing quickly anyway. After they arrive in London the gang goes to the Happiness Hotel. This of course is one of the more popular songs from the movie. And it's popular for a good reason, this is a nice Muppet number. And finally, the other Muppets all appear. Though the fact the Muppets are playing new characters who don't know who Kermit, Fozzie and Gonzo are is hard to buy. In something like "A Muppet Christmas Carol" the scenario is so different you can get it. Here, I don't buy it (and even the movie forgets it by the end). 










Piggy finally appears and is as adorable as ever. I miss Frank Oz playing her. He knew how to make her charming something current performers struggle with it seems. After setting up the plot, yes the call attention to it, our three leads confuse Piggy for Lady Holiday (and I wrote that before it happened that's how obvious it was). Don't worry, Piggy is still in love with Kermit even though they aren't playing themselves. 




After a lame cab gag Kermit gets ready for his date. This is our third music number, and it's ok. After a scene that goes on forever with Piggy and Kermit, I am getting board. I guess John Cleese isn't always funny. We get another song while Kermit and Piggy are dancing which is fine but the scene is soooo long and just goes on and on. Thankfully the plot finally shows up again. Jewels are stolen and Piggy runs out on Kermit. That's the short version this clichéd plot. The Peter Falk cameo feels 100% tacked on and then we get more Kermit and Piggy stuff. They make up, brak the fourth wall, and I am so bored. In fact, let's just wrap this up, Piggy is framed and the Muppets save her. And get the real jewel thieves. I know this takes another half hour but I am so bored. The "caper" doesn't work because the movie did a horrible job of setting it up or getting us to know our villains. I feel like apologizing to Muppet Most Wanted. It finally ends when Piggy saves the day in admittedly spectacular fashion. The villains are arrested and while it's nice to see all the Muppets together in the context of the movie it makes no sense. Then the credits finally roll as if the movie can't wait to end either. 





So, final conclusion? I hated it. It was boring and took forever. I just watched and can't remember parts of it. There were cute moments here and there (Charles Grodin was great, I loved Oscar's cameo it was the only one that worked) but overall, I now see why this movie never did much for me. Why weren't the Muppets interacting more as themselves? And why was almost everyone supporting characters? I get the idea is that The Muppets are making a movie as different characters but the plot drags and the normal Muppet charm just isn't here. At least the first and third remembered the Muppets work best as a group and the movie is about them. We do get them as a group toward the end, but it's not about them plus the movie still feels out of step for a Muppet movie. This is to convoluted and as I said, cliche'd. It reminds me of when a light sitcom like Facts of Life or Family Ties would go on vacation and get involved with political espionage...it just didn't fit! 


Of course if you like it that's cool, just my opinion of course. I love the Muppets even if the product isn't perfect, they are always fun to watch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment