November 26, 2020

My Favorite Macy's Thanksgiving Parade Balloons

 When the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade began in 1927, called a Christmas parade then, one of the features was a big Felix the Cat balloon. In the old days, the balloons would be released into the air at the end of the parade. Since the 80's the balloons have taken the form we know today, featuring all kinds of popular characters. Awhile back I mentioned a few reasons I love the parade and of course there was no way I could cover every balloon. And while I still can't mention them all, here are the ten best that I love to see every year.






And we'll overlook the disaster these balloons have caused over the years, let's just look back at the good stuff.



Underdog

What is it about this one that makes it so iconic? It seems like when any show wants to mention the balloon's it's either Woody or this one. Even though Underdog is hardly a massively popular characters. And yet shows from Friends to Will & Grace bring it up.






Woody Woodpecker


Another iconic one, especially since it was mentioned in a certain Seinfeld episode. One of the longest running balloon character in the history of the parade. 






Garfield

Of course I'd like anything that has Garfield. This balloon was a lot better than the 80's version which didn't capture the character as well. 






Sonic


Always love hoe into the trends this parade can be. This Sonic balloon is a great example. 






Bart Simpson
Speaking of trends we have this really quite well designed balloon. 







Quick Bunny

I picked on Underdog but this one is even more random. I mean I love Quick but is the beverage and/or the bunny really popular enough for this nice balloon?
'





Mickey Mouse

It's Mickey, what else do I need to say?





Spider-Man

The Superman balloon has been around for ages but it was never really impressive. The Spider-Man one is different, with the well designed Balloon fitting in nicely to the backdrop of the city behind him. 






Spongebob 
You don't see to many square balloons but this one is well deserved. 






Kermit 

You have to have Kermit!  And of course he is being followed by a certain blockhead holding a football. 





Missed many many including Ronald McDonald, Popeye, Grover, and dozens more. Did I miss your favorite? Comment and let me know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment