November 8, 2020

My Tribute-Alex Trebek on Sitcoms

 I've commented before that Jeopardy was never my favorite game show. For reasons I have explained elsewhere. But if there was one thing I loved on that show, it was its host. Alex Trebek was coolness personified. He wasn't the first host of Jeopardy and he hosted other game shows, my favorite being Classic Concentration, but he will always be known as THE host of Jeopardy.





He passed away today and as a tribute I wanted to go over five time's Alex Trebek appeared on sitcoms. Usually as himself, hosting Jeopardy. There are more than these, including an appearance on Blossom that even IMDB has forgotten, but here are a few examples.



Mama's Family



I don't recall the setup, but long story short Mama ends up on Jeopardy. And since she has no real class...hijinks ensue.




Cheers



The idea made sense to have Cliff Clavin on Jeopardy, but the episode failed by having him do well in the game. It's the whole point of his character that he only thinks he knows everything. But so what, it's still Alex Trebek on Cheers.






The Golden Girls


For some reason they made this a dream sequence, probably because Dorothy would never lose especially to Rose. Which happens here. It's a cute scene to with Dorothy trying to prove her smarts and failing. We even get David Leisure from Empty Nest and an appearance from Merv Griffin himself.




The Simpsons





It comes to no surprise that Trebek appeared on here, I mean who hasn't. I don't know the episode or the plot but we do see what happens when a player who doesn't understand the rules of the game tries to play.





The Nanny 



I found this clip, sort of. For whatever reason it's chopped up but I decided to share it anyway. CC makes a bet that she can't get Fran onto Jeopardy. Not only does Fran get on it, she wins. But not without aggravating Trebek along the way. And unlike most of these shows, our main character wins! Sort of. 




Hot in Cleveland



This is not a show I watched a lot. Usually if I did it was because of the stunt casting. And brother did they stunt cast. Trebek appears on a live show first trying to horn in on the action, and then showing as a character..sort of. 



I missed others including a bizarre X-Files appearance, but these were the clips I could find. Before I go, I have to mention SNL. One of there better recurring sketches was Celebrity Jeopardy where celebrities were idiots, and a befuddled Trebek played by Will Ferrel struggled to get through it. And on Ferrell's last show, Trebek himself appeared. 







1 comment:

  1. We don't really know anything about Alex Trebek here in Sweden.
    But I remember the scenes from "Golden Girls" and "The Nanny".

    ReplyDelete