June 28, 2020

Five Star Trek TV/Movie Scores I Hate


A few weeks ago I discussed how amazing the music of Star Trek really is. But that doesn’t mean it’s all perfect of course. Just like anything else, there are some scores which are pretty awful to listen to. I did some digging and found a few scores from Star Trek which I don’t care for. Of course, as always, this is just my opinion.


TOS-Romantic Cues

I praised the action and suspense music on the Star Trek. But man was the “romantic” music stupid. It always sounded like it belonged on another show. Or was just plain annoying. Some even sounded insulting to women. That takes effort! And yes before you hate me, City on the Edge of Forever is an exception. The music there worked for sure. Not so much with others like This Side of Paradise and that endless drone that’s supposed to be romantic music. Ugh.



TNG-Up The Long Ladder
This is one of the really bad episodes of Next Gen. Using stereotypical Irish immigrants as characters. Yes, really.I get the feeling the great Ron Jones just threw up his hands and said “screw it” with this incredibly painful music.



DS9-Vic Fontaine
ok I am cheating but music is music. Don’t get me wrong, James Darren is a fine singer. But these awful songs on Deep Space Nine? No it never really woked for me. If you don’t know Vic Fontain was a hologram of a lounge singer but like Voyager’s Doctor, he was interactive and even got involved with the plot. While it’s true one of his episodes is easily one of my favorite DS9 episodes, it has nothing to do with that awful music.



Star Trek TMP-V’Ger
We all know that famous scene where the Enterprise arrives in V’Ger and looks at it. And looks at it. For what seems like an eternity, our crew just watches the pretty pictures. What doesn’t help this endless scene of nothing is the music. It tries to elevate the danger level, but ultimately fails making the whole experience utter boredom.



Star Trek Nemesis
While I never loved Star Trek III’s opening, it’s somber and boring, this one is deffinitely much worst. Even the worst movie theme’s make you think of Star Trek in some way. This sounds like it’s from a different franchise altogether.



Honorable Mention-Star Trek IV Hospital Chase
I am of two mind’s on this one. The scene where our heroes try to flee a hospital is a great one. And the music fits the scene beautifully. However, if you heard it alone would you ever consider it a Trek score? It’s a little to…whimsical



Are there any out there you think I missed? Comment and let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment