August 26, 2013

A Look at Superheroes on TV (with special guest Les)

So the news came out last week, Ben Affleck the new Batman? Now I was one of the many back in 1988 who thought Michael Keaton would suck as Batman. I, and everyone else, was wrong. But this time....I don't know, I just can't see it. But the real question is, where is the freaking Justice League movie?? I don't get why this is so hard! With all the adaptations of superheroes out there, is this really so impossible? 



Ok, forget the movie. How about a decent TV series? For petes sake S.H.I.E.L.D. got a series before the JLA? Why? It's not as if decent superhero shows haven't done well over the years. In fact there have been many series over the years which did a fantastic job adapting various characters well, supporting character and villains included, in some cases even redefining them. These shows worked but a JLA show is impossible?



Since I already looked back at superheroes in movies, today let's look back at the various superheroes who had TV shows in the last sixty years, and imagine that in some universe they are all together as the Justice League I have always wanted to see. Since I did not really watch many of these, and others I have talked about to death, I asked my good friend Les to help. Welcome to my corner of the blog my friend.


LES: You know me, my friend.  I'm always eager to do a crossover LOL


RichB:Great to have you along. Let's start with one of the first and strangest superhero shows of them all!


Batman & Robin (Adam West & Bert Ward)
 

RichB:The show was campy, but Adam West really did a great job selling Batman. I already talked about this in depth so will not go into to much detail. But this show got many people interested in the character, who was fading at the time,  and I think that's cool. It also took the villains and made them all house hold names.



LES:  Well, I first saw it in reruns as a kid, where I loved it!  As an adult, I can look back on it as the brilliant satire it is and appreciate it for the camp masterpiece it is.  As a superhero show, however, I'd say Batman has been done a lot better over the years.  It was, however, undeniably fun to watch, and still is years later, my friend.


RichB:True Batman has been done better but what I admire about the show is that it got people excited about the character and that is awesome!



The Green Hornet (Britt Reid)
 


RichB:What the heck is the Green Hornet? Actually it was a successful radio show back in the old days. They tried to make it a TV series, but it didn't take. The only experience I had with the character was the crossover with the Batman series.  He was a masked vigilante who had a really cool car, and of course a kid sidekick named Kato. Did you ever watch Les?


LES:  Absolutely!  That was Bruce Lee's breakthrough role in show business LOL!  The Green Hornet was a really blatant rip off of Batman in almost every way except the way his "hero" was purported to be a criminal in order to learn the secrets of the underworld to battle the other criminals.  Otherwise....Billionaire/Orphan protagonist....secret identity....sidekick....cool tech and bitching car...CHECK!...In his favor, Kato was miles better than Robin which kind of floored me when I saw the crossover episode, since script or no script, Kato would've wiped the floor up with Robin....but I digress...


RichB:Well you can't have Robin defeated in his own show! LOL!


Captain Marvel (Jackson Bostwick)
 


RichB:Yes, this happened. This series was called Shazam! and later The Shazam!/Isis Hour. It was a live action series geared to kids...but you know it looked like it was pretty decent. From what I can see it didn't talk down to kids or anything. It treated them seriously, and the show lasted for a few years.


Since I was sort of being born when this was on I kind of missed it, did you see it Les?



LES:  Indeed I did, and I was a big fan of this show.  Now fans of the comics Captain Marvel will have nitpicks with it and the way it changed his origin story and paired him with an elderly man simply called "Mentor," but the spirit of the show was intact.  Imagine a boy called Billy Batson who is granted the powers of 6 immortals when he utters the magic word "SHAZAM!" Solomon, Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Achiles, Mercury(It's an acronym, right?) He's transformed by a magic lightning bolt into the world's mightiest mortal:  Captain Marvel!  As superheroes go, he's fantastic!  Like Superman, he can fly, is super strong and impervious to conventional weapons.  Also, I liked the heroic music they used in it.



RichB:I think I would have liked that show, sad that it's forgotten today.



Wonder Woman  (Lynda Carter)

 

Rich:Yes! I loved this show! Well, to be honest I haven't seen to much of it. Sucks I was so young in the 70's. But let's be honest, Lynda Carter was born to play this character. She was great and the show was really decent. It was a very honest portrayal of Wonder Woman. It ran for four years (which seems to be the average for most of these shows) and was great it remains the only live action version of what is a very popular character!


LES:  Wonder Woman was awesome.  I remember the TV show fondly and am aghast that nobody has been willing or able to bring her to the big screen where she belongs!  Lynda Carter was perfectly cast to bring the Amazonian to life as well as her alter ego, Diana Prince. 



RichB:It is weird, Linkara pointed out himself that the character is pretty easy. Maybe finding the right lead is hard? Or maybe this show just did such a good job that people aren't able to find a new spin on the character that works. Just look at that awful NBC pilot from years ago!




The Hulk (Bill Bixby/Lou Ferrigno)
 


RichB:I really loved what they did with this series even though, again, I was never a serious fan. But I was sure aware of it and unlike Wonder Woman have seen it (and the TV movies). Ok, they took some liberties like with David Banner rather than Bruce and changing the origin. And the slow motion stuff was annoying. But this was a very strong series, and I loved every time David Banner turned into Lou Ferrigno, er I mean The Hulk! What made it work was that it was more adult oriented than kid friendly, proving that you can have a serious show about a superhero aimed at adults as well kids.


LES:  The Incredible Hulk was an exceptional show, and I never missed an episode of it.  Bill Bixby was an extremely talented actor and infused so much pure humanity and passion into David Banner so that when the bad guys were hurting him, you really rooted for him to hulk out and give 'em what for.  The transformation sequences were handled really well, and Lou Ferigno was awesome as the Hulk.  Let's face it....no CGI, so you really needed to find a world-class bodybuilder who was 6 feet tall to pull off that hero.




RichB:No question, Bill Bixby OWNED that role. He was a fantastic actor and his character always felt genuine. That's probably why people kept coming back to what were, to be fair, predictable plots in every episode (David gets mad, turns into Hulk, Hulk smashes, David walks down the road while piano music plays...rinse and repeat). People loved it and the show lasted four years!




Now let's discuss a show that was a little different.



The Greatest American Hero

 

RichB:Yes this is cheating a tad but I put this on here to prove a point. This show takes an entirely new character and mythology, and did a respectable job with it! Of course it had its silly moments but for the most part the series was treated seriously. Premise is simple, guy gets super suit from aliens but doesn't know how to use it. Hijinks ensue. One thing i do love about this show-THE THEME SONG! I do remember watching it, barely, but I really don't recall the show that well.



Les, did you ever watch it?



LES:  Yep, in fact, I remember how his name was Ralph Hinkley right up to the real life assassination attempt on Ronald Regan by John Hinckley, and they changed his name to Ralph Headley.  "Believe it or not" was an instant hit and still gets requested at the piano bar decades later.  The show was a lot of fun, and was pulled off by great performances by William Katt and Robert Culp.



RichB:One of my favorite themes, it's even on my IPOD! For some some reason there wasn't much in the 80's, the superhero genre kind of quieted down. That was until a little movie came out in 1989 called "Batman"! We got a cool new show that did not get the attention it deserved:



The Flash (John Wesley Shipp)
 


RichB:ok folks, go out and buy the DVD for the 1990 Flash series or go and check the episodes out on YouTube. I promise it is worth it. If CBS had given this show a decent time slot, it could have been better. It was darker than Lois & Clark would later be but not to dark. It respected the character and blended the Flash mythos nicely. John Wesley Shipp was Barry Allen, the main character. He had a brother Jay named after Jay Garrick (the original Flash). And the female lead was Tina McGee, a character from the Wally West era. The villains were cool to, putting new spins on the classic rogue's gallery with Mark Hammill as The Trickster in two episodes and another episode with Captain Cold in which they really put a twist on that character. They  made a psychotic killer for hire and for once he was  interesting! This series was underrated and should be seen!



Did you catch this one?


LES:  Yes, I did, and I loved The Flash.  I couldn't agree with you more that it was underrated and mis-aired in the wrong time slot.  Given a chance, it could've gone 6 seasons, easily.





Superman (George Reeves/Dean Cain)
 

RichB:This one is tough because there has been more than one TV version. For many George Reeves was the definitive TV Superman on The Adventures of Superman. I respect that series but I was never a fan and it. For me, it was Dean Cain on the 90's show Lois & Clark:The New Adventures of Superman. I love the way this show was done, and I don't just mean the romantic stuff between Clark and Lois. The way Superman was played was really cool, he was a little more reserved but all the mythos and angst of the character were there and done pretty well. Unlike that horrible Man of Steel movie, we get a Superman who knows how to have fun and smile once in awhile! Oh, and doesn't kill! And the way Clark was played worked for me to. In the old days Clark Kent never did anything for me as a character, but this series made him a real person who just dresses up as Superman to operate in public and not lose his private life.


Les, I sense disagreement coming, and I know you were unable to watch L&C (SeaQuest? You poor soul) so why don't you fill us in on the classic Superman that pretty much started all of this


LES:  LMAO...actually, I have caught up on Lois and Clark in preparation for the Super-collaboration I'm going to do with Fusionater to rate all the actors who've played Superman like we did with all the actors to play Batman.....


I like the show a lot.  In many ways, it has the light-hearted charm of Smallville with the full cast of the Daily Planet and Superman in it.  My only real problem with it is in the way Clark(Cain) doesn't have a look that can really change much with a pair of glasses.  He looks like Superman even when he's Clark, but it's a small complaint since he does play both roles as individuals.  My other nitpick is that his adopted father, Jonathan Kent, is still alive in this show, where losing him really affected his character in every other incarnation of the superman mythos.


George Reeves, on the other hand, really nailed both roles down well, and that show was just pure, unadulterated '50s TV fun.  I also like the cast of Noel Neil as Lois Lane, Jack Larson as Jimmy Olsen and John Hamilton as Perry White.  Those were solid characters that supported the stories perfectly.  Plus, the music was really heroic in this show.


 

RichB:Sounds like I should give that show a chance sometime. And yes I overlooked Superboy and Smallville to avoid being here all day, but Superboy was decent and Smallville deserves its own article to get into that. One of the the reasons I loved it is because of just how much respect they had for the DC canon, bringing in heroes and villains I never would have thought I would see on TV! In fact not only did Smallville hint at the JLA but they did an episode with the Justice Society of America and it wasn't half bad.



LES:  Agreed, I particularly liked the rivalry between Hawkman and Green Arrow....but I digress...and Absolutely Christopher Reeve did Clark/Superman better than just about everyone(Still waiting to see if Henry Cavil can do Daily Planet Clark Kent different from Superman....)


Now let's briefly discuss the more recent superhero shows :


Birds of Prey

 
RichB:We have The Huntress, Oracle, and Black Canary's daughter--why didn't this show work?? I am not sure but I liked it and wish it had at least had a full season of episodes. The show was to much like Smallville in tone, but Smallville was about teenagers so it was ok making them the target audience. It just didn't work here. Also they took to many liberties. Killing Catwoman? Batman in hiding? No Commisioner Gordon? What??  This show serves as a lesson, you can tweek things but your adaptation has to be faithful to the source material or your gonna piss people off. If they had lost all the Batman stuff I bet this show would have done better. Ok so there were problems though it was nice to see the three main characters in real life action.


Did you ever get to watch this one Les? I thought it had potential.


LES:Didn't see it, unfortunately....I also missed the cult hit "The Tick" from the Fox Network, but I've heard only great things about it.




Green Arrow
 
RichB: I frowned when I heard Arrow was coming, and I never really watched a full episode. However, it is still on and some of the clips I saw are decent. So maybe it isn't so bad. Green Arrow was a character on Smallville but this is wisely not a spin-off but a re imagining. It is a darker show but since Green Arrow was always a darker hero it works (ever read The Longbow Hunters?)



LES:  Arrow....yep, haven't seen it, but I do agree with you that as a spin off, the character is a harder sell to pull off without looking like a Batman clone.



RichB:Sadly that's the only heroes that have made it to TV, and Spider-Man doesn't count (or the Captain America and Dr.Strange movies). Of course there have been attempts that always failed. Wonder Woman and Aquaman had horrible pilots, THE Wonder Woman was especially painful, and of course there was that god awful Justice League unsold pilot. You know, the one where Martian Manhunter became a stalker and a kidnapper while the other heroes became whiny idiots? Nah I think I will forget that one.

    


But that awful pilot is the only time they ever did a show where the whole Justice League got together. It's weird you'd think with the Superfriends being popular they would have done something, but then again it was popular in the 70's and knowing the TV execs of the time they would probably have done a corny as hell variety show, even going so far as getting Adam West and Burt Ward to reprise their roles as Batman and Robin. I mean, could you imagine something that silly actually being made? Thank goodness it never did! 



LES:  Actually, they DID attempt the show you just described with "LEGEND OF THE SUPERHEROES!!!!!!!" 
  (yes, this happened!)

Batman(West) hosted this show which was done like a panel gameshow with each hero standing behind his/her lecturn and getting a solo moment to face/defeat a villain(Captain Marvel faces Dr. Sivana...who most viewers didn't know, but the comic book fans geeked out a bit at LOL!).  Attempting to do a "Justice League" panel, they left out some important heroes like....

Superman

Wonder Woman

Green Arrow

Aquaman


But they did keep, Batman, Robin, The Flash and some peripheral DC heroes like The Atom, Captain Marvel, Black Canary, Green Lantern and a few others.


It was over-the-top cheesy, just plain silly, and ultimately, best left on the cutting room floor.  As I recall, it didn't get too many episodes before being cancelled.




RichB:You're kidding! Wait, let me check YouTube......Hey there are some clips...let me see...WTF??? Why is Ed McMahon the MC? Is this supposed to be taken seriously?? They are honoring Retired Man, WTH?? captain Marvel needs a psychiatrist? The second episode was a roast, are you kidding me? Did Batman just butt bump some guy named Ghetto Man? What am I looking at?  This is crazy, surreal, and just bizarre. I mean the Superfriends cartoon at least took the heroes seriously, that's why they needed Zan and Jayna for laughs, but this is....horrible!

   


Wow! I could do a whole review on this but I am not that big a masochist. But Les, let me ask you the big question, why is it so hard to do a good version of the Justice League on film? I love the JLA, they were the first super team I loved even before I read about them. Just seeing the team picture was enough to give me the chills. The World's Greatest Superheroes! And yet we can't get a movie and the TV attempts were laughable at best. Why is it so hard to take such a basic idea and make it work? And it's not as if it's the creators don't understand the heroes and can't do decent adaptations. Even Smallville, silly as it was, respected the DC mythos heroes and villains. So. why do you think a JLA TV series or movie is so impossible?



LES:  Beats the hell out of me TBH.  DC scored box office gold with Man of Steel and the Nolan Batman films, and even if Green Lantern didn't do well at the box office and pissed of some fanboys, I thought the potential was there and the hero was well realized in the execution of the film.  You already mentioned Smallville for bringing most of the Justice League together in the series(Minus Batman and Wonder Woman since Clark wasn't yet Superman in that show) and I thought they did a great job with Aquaman, The Flash, Cyborg, Hawkman and Green Arrow.





HEY DC!  Take a lesson from MARVEL!  They laid out the blueprint for successfully doing it with the 5 lead up films and then the Avengers.  How hard would it be to start building the Justice League with Man of Steel II?  You're already bringing Batman into it....



RichB:Amen to that my friend! I don't get it either, and not only did Marvel do it but they did fantastic! The Avengers was everything I always wanted to see in a JLA movie!  but maybe someday it will happen. Though with our luck it will be the DCNew version and all the characters will hate each other and be emo.




Les thanks for joining me today to take a look back at some of these wonderful characters!!




LES:  It's been a pleasure to collaborate with you again, my friend.  I hope DC gets its shit together soon, and gives the fans a great JLA film with all the lead up films to establish the core characters like Wonder Woman, Aquaman, The Flash and Green Lantern(That one soooo needs to be done right....)

Anyways, I'd be interested in hearing what our readers think about all of this too.  Thanks for giving us some of your time, my friends.  Peace.



RichB:I would be interested too, to the comment section Robin!  Nah, that was cheesy.  :)


By the way there were tons of cartoons with these heroes, someday I may have to dig into them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment