June 12, 2021

Star Trek TOS Overview (Where No Man..)



Back in the summer of 1991 I was bored and looking for a way to entertain myself. It was huge newd that year that it was the 25th Anniversary of Star Trek. My mother had the whole collection of VHS, and I realized there were lots of episodes I had hardly scene or never scene or only seen the syndicated version. So, I watched one episode a day until I made my way through all 79. My one regret is that I had no way to record my thoughts on those episodes.




Well 30 years have amazingly passed. And as we celebrate the 55th anniversary this year, it feels like the time to revisit this idea. Especially since there are episodes I haven't seen since that summer in 1991. Of course I will stream the episodes and I now have a forum to share my thoughts. The real question was, what format should the articles take? Course the fact I've done Underrated Trek's for these doesn't help. What if I did something less formal? Last year when I did my Batman overview I ended up summarizing the episode in my "final thought". So I will mimic that format, no "analysis" or trivia that can be looked up anywhere. Just run through the episode and see how I like it. So let's start with the pilot. No, not the Cage we'll cover that as part of "The Menagerie". This is... 











Plot:A trip the galactic barrier has unusual effects on two crewmen 


Guest Stars:Gary Lockwood as Gary Mitchell and Sally Kellerman as Dr.Dehner


Nitpick:I always loved how the four experts, including Sulu and Scotty, just stand on the Bridge doing nothing. Gary's transformation happens to fast I think, we never really get to know him before he changes. 


Summary:


Teaser-We first meet Kirk and Spock playing chess. It's funny, who would have known how icoic these two would become? I should mention that I am not a fan of this episode because the look and designed is so removed from the actual series. In fact the whole start of the episode is slow, as the Enterprise is searching for an old Earth ship. Kirk wins the chess game which would be a running gag on the show. 



Act 1-We meet Kirk's best friend, and first officer, Gary Mitchell. Yes Spock is just science officer here. The Enterprise is approaching the galactic barrier trying to figure out what destroyed the old ship. They discover that something caused the crew of that old ship to be concerned with ESP. The Enterprise tries to enter the barrier which causes Mitchell and Dehner to be zapped by something.



Act 2-The trip to the barrier wrecks the ship, which heads to Delta Vega to get some much needed dilithium crystals. Spock has discovered Mitchell and Dehner rate high for ESP. Dehner insists that Mitchell will not be dangerous now, for some reason. In Sick-Bay Mitchell keeps acting weird, demonstrating strange abilities. Mitchell's behavior begins to alarm the crew, again except Dehner. Kirk begins to wonder if he should abandon Mitchell to save themselves, or kill him before he becomes to strong.




Act 3-While and Engineering crew work on saving the ship, Kirk continues to struggle with the choice he must make. Kirk and Spock and barely get Mitchell off the ship with his power growing. On the planet Mitchell is locked up while Kirk considers how to kill his friend. 



Act 4-As the Enterprise starts getting ready to leave, the question remains of what to do with Mitchell. Mitchell kills his friend who is at the destruct button. He then attacked Kirk and Spock, and leaves with Dehner whose eyes are now also glowing. Dr.Piper revives Kirk who tells him to get back to the ship with Spock. Kirk then goes after Mitchell with a laser rifle. After a struggles, Kirk blows a mountain up on top of Mitchell. 





Final Thoughts:Pilot's are always kind of weird when compared to how the series turned out and this one is no exception. Except for Kirk, none of the characters feel on point. McCoy is absent too. It's not a bad episode, just doesn't feel like the Trek I know and love. 




No comments:

Post a Comment