September 18, 2018

Random Thoughts-70th Emmy Awards

Almost eight years ago to the day one of my earliest blog's was a short piece on the Emmy's. And really it just sounds like me doing Linkara's Superboy prime voice saying "Everything was better in my day!!". I even make a crack about HBO asking how many people really watch stuff on there. Uh, quite a few! Game of Thrones anyone? The simple fact is that times change and while I love nostalgia (duh) that doesn't mean I can't accept that things are different. With HBO, Netflix, Amazon, and whatever else it's just a different world today.




So I watched the 70th Emmy's last night and was disappointed. There was hardly any real "celebrating". Maybe anniversaries were a bigger deal in my day (there I go again) but I would have liked more of a celebration of what has come before. All we got was Betty White (which was awesome) and a short montage which lasted about three minutes. No clips or callbacks? What did we get instead? All sorts of diversity stuff which I am soooo sick of. Can we stop being upset that there "weren't enough" of a certain race or gender nominated for something? It's one thing to say they should have opportunities. Of course they should! Everyone no matter their race, gender, or sexual preference should have the same opportunities as everyone else. No brainer. But The Emmy's, and all awards shows, are meant to reflect the best in something. If actor Bill Smith is the better actor he should win! If he's a white guy, hey that's how it goes. I get so tired of this idea that if it's anyone but a white person it's "racist" or "offensive". How?  The topic went on forever, with the opening number (which just plain sucked) and then the monologue. The one sketch we got was more on black people not getting their just deserves. Ok it was nice to see those old TV stars again, that was literally it for that in the show, but by then it was like WE GOT IT!



So anyway that's my speal. Aside from that the awards were pretty dull. No tributes, to anything, aside from the IN MEMORIAM which I thought was nicely done. Nice to see new winners even if I never heard of them or their shows. Most of the speeches were good. The marriage proposal was a nice surprise (seriously look it up it was awesome)  as was Henry Winkler winning, at last! I had no idea he was the Susan Lucci of prime time.  The hosts were awful, why they were even picked I'll never know. I find them bearable on Weekend Update but here they were playing it so safe they seemed nervous to say a word.  Oh I just loved the Boston joke Michael Che, real nice of you.  And again, that opening song was just plain stupid. I've seen some amazing openings where they homaged every show and star they could, this was painful. Someone said it was a jab at the Oscar's and, ok, that's fine but this is the 70th Emmy's, and we get no respect for shows past or present? No big musical number to get the night going? Just a stupid sketch that wouldn't have made it on SNL? And what was up with the announcer reading off the nominees rather than the presenters, did someone decide that was boring?  Oh yeah there was another bit, that uninspired Maya Rudolph and Fred Armisen gag which was just terrible.


I don't know most of these show to comment on "who deserved to win" vs "who did win", so I'll leave that to others. Truth is me watching the Emmy's is a lot like my father watching the Grammy's. Since he's not gonna know any of the music or artists it's not gonna mean much. But I watched anyway and it was ok. Though being on a Monday night kind of sucked. While I understand you can't go home again as far as the state of TV is concerned, I wish that the way it is today wasn't so rigid or, for lack of a better word, politically correct!



Ok ok no more soap boxes. I'll be back next time with something silly or nonsensical I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment