June 29, 2018

Five Disappointing Villain Comeuppance’s

When you have a good villain there is always something satisfying in their defeat. Whether they be a super villain or some generic bully, we always love to see the bad guy get his. Sometimes however, the final punishment for the villain is not satisfying. It’s either because there is hardly any punishment, or it goes so far the other way and you almost feel sorry for the poor person rather then happy to see him get his just deserves.



Now sometimes the villain defeat will be kind of small, but it can still work. The best example is from The Wizard of Oz. The Wicked Witch just gets water thrown on her, accidentally! But Margaret Hamilton owns that death scene. Her screams of “I’m melting!” are almost iconic, everyone knows it and says it. Same for Superman II. While I have my issues with that movie, the scene where Superman out thinks Zod isn’t big but it is sooooo sweet!


Here are five examples of what I mean. When the villain defeat was unsatisfying. There are spoilers of course and, just my opinion.




The Dark Knight Rises
I loved what that did with Bane, especially after what they did to him in “Batman and Robin”. Tom Hardy was fantastic in the role and every scene he was he ruled…until that last one. What a let down, not only is it revealed Bane is really just a glorified henchman for Talia, but he is defeated soooo easily! It’s one thing everyone pretty much agrees with, that scene sucked!








Spider-Man 3
I was one of the many excited to see Venom in this movie. As I’ve noted, while never a big Marvel fan the one story I did like was the whole “Black Suit Saga”. So yeah, I was hyped..and disappointed by how it was done! Not only do we hardly get ant of Venom (yeah we want to see more Topher Grace!) but the way he is defeated is pretty weak. The battle could have been so much more.





Return of the Jedi
Yeah you all know this was coming. I am on the pro Jedi side of things, while not perfect I always kind of liked this one. But the way Bobba Fett is taken out is pretty lame. He is introduced in Empire as the supreme badass, the best bounty hunter in the galaxy. How is he defeated? Accidentally, by a blind Han Solo. Lucas tried to make his less lame in the remastered version, and of course we got the character’s father in “Clones” (which felt so forced that it backfired),







Superman
I mentioned how awesome Zod’s defeat was in Superman II, but not so much praise for how Lex Luthor is captured in the first film. As you probably know I had issues with that version of Lex Luthor. Not Hackman, he was great, but the way the character was written it could have been ANY crazy bad guy in there. And how he is defeated? Offscreen, mostly, and then Superman carts him to prison. I mean, really? He comes off more as a goofball than a clever criminal mastermind. Chances are this was changed because of the whole Richard Donner stuff, but it’s still weeaak. Check out the clip for a rare scene which is often not shown.







So, you ever have that one movie that just pisses you off, and you can’t explain why? Most of these were bad because they were underwhelming. Sometimes it goes the other way however. This last one is an old fashioned revenge on the villain scene, but it goes wwaaayyy to far. Sigh

Here we go…..



102 Dalmatians
This may seem odd, but I gotta get this one off my chest. True, Cruella does not die at the end but she may as well have. Let’s start with this, I hated this movie. I mean, really hated it. It was boring and stupid. And what happens to Cruella at the end is preposterous. I get that they wanted to one up the fist movie, as any sequel would, but what they do is ridiculous. It nauseates me, not even kidding. I am not sure why. Is it because it’s basically a glorified pie fight which I always hated?  Is it how far fetched it is? Is it because she would have died (or at least been horribly burned) if it was real? Is it just because it’s SOOO dumb? I’ve gone on for a full paragraph and still haven’t described it. And, I don’t want to. The scene is awful leading to the most predicable and obvious final line ever uttered in a movie. Watch the video and be your own judge. If you think its funny, more power to you. I did not!  Oh and the video is sped up at parts (did I mention the sequence is ungodly long?) sorry about that but you get the gist.





So comment and let me know what movie villain defeat you felt didn’t live up to expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment