January 21, 2018

A Look at Clothes That Reminds Me of TV and Movies

We talk a lot about things that remind us of movies and TV shows, from a theme song to a familiar prop or vehicle to even actors with expressive faces! But one other thing that often doesn’t get mentioned is wardrobe. Now, I don’t mean costumes or clothing intentionally meant to emulate a movie or TV show. I mean everyday clothes, which for one reason or another always makes us think of a character we love. Like how Hawaiian shirts remind us of Magnum P.I., or those colorful suits worn by Don Johnson on Miami Vice, or when a Fedora and leather jacket remind us instantly of Indiana Jones.


 




I realized while working on this most of these examples involve the introduction of the character. Funny how a small detail like that can make the character that much more memorable. Here are some examples :



Sunglasses

I always love our introduction to Marty McFly in Back to the Future. He is trying to rock out on Doc’s sound system, but a small overload sends him flying backwards. When he looks up he has those cool sunglasses on, and I always think of that scene when I do the move Marty does as he examines the mess he made. Whoa indeed.







Gloves

This is a weird one, but I bet anyone who has seen Star Trek II has taken off their gloves the way Khan does when we first meet him. It’s a subtle action but even with that simple motion, we know our heroes are in trouble.







Hood

This one may just be me, but everytime I an wearing a hood and take it off I think of that first time we meet Obi Wan in A New Hope. He sees R2D2 and takes his hood off, revealing himself. I don’t know why, just something about that reveal always stuck with me.






Dress Shirt

There was a time when I was planning on throwing out a dress shirt, and before I took it off for the last time I couldn’t resist an urge. Since I knew I was throwing it out there was no harm in this one time imitating the classic ripping open the shirt from Superman.







Shoes

This is sort of a two-fer, assuming you’re familiar with the opening the PBS show Mr.Rogers Neighborhood. Every episode would start with him taking off his business jackey for a nice sweater. And then he would kicks off his dress shoes for sneakers. And it’s kind of hard not to do either of those, even as adults, and not hear “It’s a Beautiful Day in This Neighborhood” in my head while swinging a shoe from one hand to the other.






Leather Jacket’s

Do I really need to explain this one? AAYYY!!!





Ok let’s end with a few female examples which I obviously don’t have personal experience with :


Shorts

Now of course I don’t and never have worn these but I felt I couldn’t not mention this example. Ah Catherine Bach. Damn she was hot. And she set a clothing trend which is still around today. What was that? Short shorts, or Daisy Duke’s as they’re affectionately called.





Umbrella

Mary Poppin’s trademark was an umbrella she carred around with her for no apparent reason. Well ok it did help her fly. And it does talk to her in the end.






Hairstyles

The “Carol Brady’ and The “Rachel” are two examples of this, when a hairstyle resembles a character we love. Course Men aren’t exempt from this, after all is there anyone even years later who can wear a Mohawk and not be called Mr.T?






And finally I know I’ll never be able to wear a red tie again without thinking of a certain internet critic…






I’m sure there are more, but those are my examples. Let me know what clothing or wardrobe reminds you of a movie or TV show.

No comments:

Post a Comment