June 20, 2016

Five Things I Hated in Star Trek III-The Search for Spock

As I promised last week, let’s take a look at the third movie. Before Star Trek IV came along, this was my favorite Star Trek movie. I adored this movie. I can still remember seeing it in theaters, can still recall the places that got laughs and the audience loving it, still recall  talking to my mother about it afterward and excited at what the next would bring, and I think I saw it a million times on video (once right before a final exam, weird). This is the movie that got me to love Star Trek, and after came TNG, ST IV, and getting really caught up on the classic episodes. Yeah it’s not the greatest but I didn’t care.







MPW-17036
I think the primary difference between this one and TWOK is that it is more focused on the characters. TWOK is much bigger with some serious themes running through it. Except for Kirk the characters are just kind of, there. That’s not a criticism of course, in fact that is probably why this one is not regarded as highly since it does feel more like an episode than a huge movie. Star Trek III is a bit smaller which gives the characters a chance to shine a little more.But before this becomes a rant, here are five things I did not love in this movie. And no one of them will not be the plot holes, those have been covered elsewhere. Though why don’t more people comment that the title is a lie, there is never a “search” in the whole movie! I guess “The Rescue of Spock” wouldn’t have been nearly as suspenseful.




Microbes/Genesis Worms
Screen-Shot-2014-04-17-at-7.08.59-PM
I wonder if this was an attempt to duplicate the creepiness of the ear slugs in the previous movie. Because that’s the only reason I can see for this being here. We first see the microbes in a very basic state, almost single cell organisms. We’re informed that they must have been on the casket when it fired from Enterprise, and they were fruitful and multiplied. I guess the point of these was to demonstrate how the planet evolves things very rapidly because when we see them again, they are worms which slither over Kruge. He kills them and the Klingons are on their merry way. When I read what it took to accomplish this scene it’s quite fascinating. It seemed like a lot of work for what could have easily been a deleted scene. This scene was kind of creepy as a kid, now it’s just..pointless. I do love how the scene ends with Kruge calling the ship to tell them nothing is happening. I can imagine the officers on the ship shrugging their shoulders going “ah, thanks for that update sir?”









That Pon Farr Scene
SaavikSpockPonFarr
This is a very minor one but worth mentioning. This is a scene which is kind of, odd. In my defense when I first saw this movie I wasn’t very well versed in the original series so this is the first time I had heard of Pon Farr. So for me, this was weird. Now that I do know…I’m still not sure what to make of it. Maybe if they had followed up on it and made Saavik pregnant with Spock’s child (as they were originally going to). But as it is the scene is odd. I wont say it makes no sense, it’s just odd. It’s Saavik making out with a pre-teen Spock and….ah yeah, this scene is best left un-explored. By the way my lack of knowledge of the series meant I totally missed the auto destruct sequence was word for word from an episode, or Grace Lee Whitney’s cameo. I also didn’t get the great joke McCoy gives about Spock giving him the Katra as revenge for the arguments he lost, or the “A” in the registry number on the Enterprise at the end of the next one.






Pointless bar scene
0460091_31989_MC_Tx304
Ok, seriously would someone explain to me the point of this scene? It’s right after we see Kirk try and fail to get the Enterprise back. So he declares he is going to Genesis anyway, and Sulu and Chekov offer any and all assistance. Great, but rather than cut to that plan we take a detour with Dr.McCoy trying to charter a ship from a weird alien guy. What’s the point? We know what’s wrong with McCoy, we know where they have to go and what they have to do, and we know Kirk is going to do it no matter the cost. All this does is get McCoy into a security hold which he will need to be broken out of. I guess just having Kirk ring his doorbell and tell McCoy to get in his car or whatever wouldn’t be as interesting. But still, it seems like a line of dialogue could have accomplished what this three minute scene did.









Why Was Uhura Left Behind????
uhura_phaser_zps9ccc9a03_by_mad_man_with_a_pen-d7qcrxl
This is one that has baffled me ever since the first time I saw this movie. Kirk, McCoy, Sulu and Chekov beam to the Enterprise where Scotty is waiting for them to steal it. Where is Uhura? She beamed them to the Enterprise (which makes sense and is an awesome scene) but then she literally vanishes from a third of the movie! WTF?? I just don’t get it, why wouldn’t having Uhura on board be helpful? You can’t even say they didn’t need a communications officer…we see Chekov manning her station! No instead she vanishes until they finally arrive at Vulcan (though her reunion with Kirk was very well done, they hug and you know Uhura is up to speed. It was a split second but a very well executed one). I always felt like she tended to get the shaft in these movies and this one is no exception. To her credit I read Nichelle Nichols was upset at her minor role until she read the script, and enjoyed what she did get to do. She is a class act.








Everyone in Starfleet that isn’t James Kirk Sucks!
320x240
Ever heard the notion that some people have that everyone in Starfleet is incompetent except for James Kirk? I’ll tell you, if this movie wasn’t the first instance of it, it was sure one of the worst. Here is what we have in in this movie : Admiral Morrow is the commander of the starbase they are at. Not only does he very callously declare the Enterprise is to be decommissioned, but when Kirk approaches him about taking a ship (any ship) to Genesis the guy refuses to hear Kirk out. I’m not saying he was wrong to say no, I’m saying the way he does it as if Kirk is sounding like a crazy person (that stupid line about never understanding Vulcan mysticism never made any sense to me). Then we have Captain Styles, who is captain of the Excelsior and is simply a stuffed shirt and buffoon (though to be fair this was even worst on the comic versions I read). And of course there is Captain Esteban of the U.S.S. Grissom. The guy comes off like a wimp, scared to check out the unusual life readings on the planet. Marcus and Saavik have to practically beg him to let them go seek out and explore what the reading could be. This guy does know what the primary mission of Starfleet is, right? And Grissom is a science vessel! Before they are destroyed Saavik almost seems actively frustrated with Esteban’s hesitations. We also have the jerk guarding McCoy before he is broken out, when Sulu makes a comment he has to be a jerk about it. Which makes it more fitting when Sulu flips him two minutes later. Finally, there is “Mr.Adventure” who is working with Uhura in the transporter center. Granted he’s a kid, but man what a cockey ass. It makes it even sweeter when Uhura stuffs him (she called him “Mr.Adventure” because that’s what he’s looking for) into a closet. Finally, just a general observation on how well Starfleet is run. After the Excelsior is stopped from chasing the escaping Enterprise, who else does Stafleet send after them? No one of course! Though the Enterprise does intercept Starfleet warning Grissom (which had sadly already been destroyed) so that’s something. Even Kirk finds it odd that no one is after them!



As I said there are plot holes in this but that has been analyzed to death. I think this movie is really good, that Kruge made a decent villain, and as I noted I have seen way to many times.





Well next week I guess I gotta do Star Trek IV. And I’m not gonna lie, as I write this I’ve only come up with one thing. That’s what happens when you love a movie. Guess I’ve got some thinking to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment