November 30, 2015

Top 10 Favorite Animated Christmas Specials-#10

Last Year I did my favorite Christmas TV episodes, This year, I present my top 10 favorite animated Christmas specials. In the past I have done run downs of all the specials, and singled out a few that I hated, but these are the ten that are the cream of the crop. Ten specials that I just can’t imagine Christmas without. I wasn’t originally going to limit these to animation but the list kind of ended up that way. But it makes sense, from The Smurfs to Inspector Gadget to Pac-Man to The Flintstones the amount of animated Christmas specials is staggering. And yes I am including CGI and stop-motion animation. Sadly this does leave off The Muppets, maybe I will discuss them a in a separate article if I have the time.


So since these are pretty much familiar to everyone, all I will probably do is go over the special briefly and give my two cents worth on why I think it’s so great…and maybe a few gripes thrown in. I am spreading this out over the month of December, so let’s start with my #10 choice….




the-grinch-cartoon 


This may shock some, #10??? But it took me a looong time to get into this. I never really watched it a as kid and did not grow up with it like so many did. When I did finally see it…yeah it’s really really good. The message is so simple and sweet that it’s just impossible to not get drawn in.


The story is a simple one really, I think we’re all familiar with it. All the who’s in Whoville loved Christmas a lot. Except The Grinch, who did not! I am not really a Dr.Seuss fan. I am one of the few people in the world who can say I did not grow up with these stories when I was a child. But this one is really good and it’s no surprise that it has endured and last as long as it as. The Grinch is a fantastic character, one children will be enjoying for decades I imagine.



What about that Jim Carey movie? you may be wondering. It has good things about it but overall it’s a miss. I do watch it as but as a guilty pleasure not because I think it’s so wonderful or amazing. I think that parts that stayed faithful to the original story did it very well.


So what else can I say about this special? Chuck Jones did the animation, hell yes! Boris Karloff did the voice of the narrator and The Grinch, hell yes! The song “You’re a Mean One” is a classic (well I don’t like it as much as others out there do. I get sick of hearing it on the radio every ten minutes).


I noted that I would nitpick these a bit, but honestly there’s nothing here to nitpick. It’s one of those things that just works perfectly and doesn’t have a flaw within it.

1210-grinch_full_600


So that’s my #10 favorite. Come back in a few days for my next choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment