November 13, 2015

Ten Commercials I Can Never, Ever Forget

I talked awhile back about commercials with mascots which became so famous that they ae almost household names. (Don’t remember it? Here it is)


However, a good commercial doesn’t have to have a silly cartoon character to be remembered. A catchy jingle and/or catchphrase is enough to make people remember it. In some cases, you never forget it.


Here are ten ads that I never forgot, in no particular order.



10.Verizon
Give Verizon some credit, they took a small ad and made a catchphrase out of it. I still think of this ad when I am having trouble with a cell phone and asking the caller if they “Can hear me now”.





9.Old Navy
These commercials were so stupid, so inane, so nonsensical….that I loved them and still remember them. They are cheezy, goofy, and just fun.






8.Taco Bell
Ok, not gonna lie. This is (probably) just me. In the 90’s Taco Bell had a slogan “Cross the Border” and their ads were pretty clever. This one was produced for March Madness and just stuck with me. Heck, it took me some time to figure just who Vic Viatle was. But his personality in this ad got my attention.





7.Listerine
Listerine is not my favorite product. It’s a little to strong and I never liked it. However, when they came up with their cool mind in the 90’s even I had to love this ad. It’s a Tarzan take off, but it does its job well. I think everyone remembers this one.




6.Colgate Pump
I had forgotten this little gem, until I came across it online. Not only did I remember it instantly, but it was stuck in my head for about a week after. It’s a very memorable ad for a product that doesn’t exist anymore. But the song and pace is so well done there is no way you are getting this out of your head anytime soon.





5.Six Flags
How do you sell an amusement park anyway? I mean, what can you say to not only make people remember the ad but make them pumped enough to want to go? Well this ad manages to do a great job. It’s an old guy dancing. What, doesn’t sound memorable? Watch it, I promise anyone who has seen this remembers it. This ad works because first it surprises you, and then the fast paced music and visuals pumps you up. Fantastic.





4.Coca-Cola
Most people think of the classic “I’d Like to Teach the World to Sing” spot from the 70’s. Which I think is a lousy holiday ad, but I digress. It’s a sweet and memorable spot which everyone knows. But I love the follow up. Some twenty years later they recreated the ad but included the 80’s tune being used to create a pretty good mash up. I love this ad

Oh ok, if you prefer the classic here it is :





3.Hershey
This commercial is just perfect. It’s the perfect song, the perfect visuals, the perfect slogan. You will never forget it and always think of this song when you think of Hershey bars.





2.Life Cereal
What does it say when as a kid, in the 80’s, I remember seeing this ad which has been around since before I was born? I’m not sure what it is, the kids? The simple dialogue? The fact that the other kid i genuinely shocked Mikey likes the cereal? It’s one of the simplest and yet most effective ads ever.




1.Tootsie Pops
You want old? You want classic? Is there anyone who has never seen this ad?


But honestly, I like this one better:








I’m sure I could have come up with more, did I miss your favorite? Comment and let me know what you thought. And no, I didn’t mention Christmas ads. I covered that awhile ago but may do another. I also go to thinking about fantastic ads for awful products….Hmmmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment