October 26, 2021

More “WTF??” Scary Scenes from Non-Scary Movies

When Halloween rolls around we like to talk about scary movies that we love. But what often gets overlooked are scary scenes from movies that were never meant to be scary. It can be a comedy or scifi or whatever else, but the movie is perfectly pleasant until one scene gives us 60 seconds of terror. Here are ten that scared me, and in the interest of full disclosure I did do a list similar to this nine years ago. However, that article omitted a lot of examples and had no video clips. And of course these are my choices, if you don't think these scenes were particularly scary than that's no problem. 




Superman III-Robo Woman

So here you have a movie which goes out of its way to say that it is a light comedy. It has goofy opening credit and of course Richard Pyor. Then as the last act finally gets going, tou get this out of nowhere moment where a woman is grabbed by the super computer and turned into a robot right in front of our eyes. I think it's the women's cries which make it scary, especially when she goes from begging for help to being subservient in the span of a millisecond. And those eyes!!






Ghostbusters-Zoul Dogs

You could argue this is cheating, but Ghostbusters was a comedy movie and while the effects and scares were decent none were truly terrifying. With one serious exception, the scene where Dana is taken by the Zoul dogs was scare 35 years ago and still is today. 






Star Trek II-Ceti Slugs

You knew this one was coming. The Ceti eel scene comes out of nowhere and manages to terrify. People still remember this one. What is that makes it work? It could be Khan building up what the eels will do. It could be the close ups of the things getting into the ear (not hard to imagine what that might feel like). And of course the screams of agony by Chekov and Terell seal the deal. I love how they go quiet aside from moaning, we don't see their faces and somehow we don't have to. 






Pee-Wee's Big Adventure-Large Marge

Ok I've been over this before so short and sweet. The Large Marge scene comes out of nowhere and gives a scare no one sees coming. To be fair it does look silly today, but at the time it was jaw dropping. So much so it literally made me walk out of the theatre seconds later.





Indiana Jones-Kali-Ma

I was thinking about putting the face melting scene from Raiders here, but I've talked about that before and how my father shielded me from it originally. So instead, let's talk Temple of Doom. Say what you want about the movie, but no one who saw this film can forget the scene where our villain removes a persons heart and the burns them to death. 





Spider-Man 2-Doc Occ

I'm surprised this doesn't show up on more lists. The Sam Raimi movies are fairly light, bordering on camp. Then this moment comes where Doc Oc's arms attack and kill the doctors in a very horror movie-esque scene. 





The Dark Knight-Why so serious?

A lot of people point to the scene where Joker sends a video along of a person in a bat suit being killed as a scary as hell moment. And it is, but for me it was this one that had me on edge. You knew however that story was going to end, it wasn't going to be pleasant. 






Who Framed Roger Rabbit-Judge Doom

For a movie clearly aimed at kids there is plenty of scary moments in it. There isn't much to say about this one, except that Christopher Lloyd clearly mugged his heart out selling the scene.





Willow-You're all Pigs

I considered the scene in Neverending Story where the horse drowns, but that's more tragic than scary. I kind of remember Willow, the Ron Howard/George Lucas fantasy was supposed to be a big deal but it kind of just faded away. It was just another generic fantasy quest movie with nothing amazing or different to make it stand out. Aside from Warwick Davis being awesome in it. I don't even remember much about it, save for this one scene which snuck up on and scared the crap out of me. 







Willy Wonka-Tunnel of Terror



This movie is so light and cheerful...and then the tunnel scene arrives. I have no idea why it's here but everyone remembers so I guess it worked. Gene Wilder is what sells it of course.


You know, I really haven't talked about this movie enough. And with this being a significant anniversary for the film, I think it may be time to give it some love...






So I was wondering why so many of these were from when I was a kid. Putting aside that movies are made differently today (ah, the 80's) it's probably because things scare you easier as a child. Even watching some of these as an adult I realize they weren't so bad. Sometimes they do stay with you, and since I decided  not to include any animation it seemed only fair to leave one last clip from a classic animated movie which still scares me to death. In fact I hate this movie because of its dark tones (I wouldn't dare read the book). What movie? Check it out:






Did I miss one you think should be on here? Comment and let me know. And of course, HAPPY HALLOWEEN.

1 comment:

  1. "Roger Rabbit" sure is darker than some people give it credit for.
    Just think about that poor shoe!

    I'm very glad that I never saw the Large Marge scene in a theater.
    Yikes!

    I would say that that scene from "Willy Wonka" is weird to me rather than scary.
    Even so, I'm not a fan of Roald Dahl.

    ReplyDelete