September 6, 2014

My Favoite "Hell Yeah" Pick Me Up Songs

This article has been a long time coming. The last few weeks have seen a lot of bad news, so I decided it was time to discuss something to get us all into a good mood. And nothing does that faster than the right song.

I have already discussed this in relation to TV themes, but what about normal songs? Music amazes me because of how it ties right into our moods and our lives. The right song can make you remember good times gone  by. Or it can make you depressed and cry your eyes out. Of course not every song will resonate with every person, but music is a very personal thing for all of us.

Today I want to discuss a few songs which always pick me up and put me in a good mood. These aren’t just songs I like, they’re songs that make me smile and feel good whenever I hear them. These are arranged by artist but are in no particular order, and this is just me so feel free to disagree or toss out your own favorites.


Circle of Life/I’m Still Standing by Elton John

The version we get in the cartoon is really good, don’t get me wrong, but I adore the Elton John version. I really don’t know what it is, but I think it’s a combination of a very strong melody and lyrics which are very powerful. I love the way the music builds and builds to that chorus, which we only hear twice! Fantastic song which always puts me in a good mood. A close second would be “I’m Still Standing” which I have loved since a very young age. The whole song is about not giving up and if that isn’t a pick me up song nothing is
Circle of Life HERE
I’m Still Standing  HERE




Downtown Train/Rhythm of my Heart by Rod Stewart

Honestly I could make this whole list just Rod Stewart. I love his music that much. Downtown Train is an especially good one, with a soft melody which builds and is really good. But Rhythm of My Heart manages to rise above that one. The first time I heard it on the radio, I just adored it. There really isn’t a whole lot to say, just a well done song that always makes me feel good.

Rhythm of my Heart  HERE
Downtown Train  HERE


The Greatest Love of All by Whitney Houston

I said I wanted to be uplifting here so rather then discuss the tragedy of Whitney Houston’s final years, let’s talk about this song. It’s a fantastic tune which I love hearing. It’s a very simple message which is clearly stated, loving yourself is the greatest love of all. It’s a message that may seem insignificant but in reality it’s very important to love yourself before others can love  you back.
One of her best! HERE


Oh Sherrie by Steve Perry

This one has been a favorite of mine for a LONG TIME. The strange part is that I loved the song even though I didn’t have the slightest idea what he was singing about. I have learned that it’s basically a love song (for a girlfriend he later broke up with). There is just something about the way he sings it that the energy level goes crazy. By the way, this is also one of my favorite music videos because of the clever framing device they use. I won’t try to describe it just check it out.
HERE



Walk Away by Kelly Clarkson
I love Kelly Clarkson, she is one of my favorite female performers these days. But when I first heard this song, I was hooked! The way she sings it with so much passion. Plus the message which I think anyone can relate to. Haven’t we all had those relationships were wondered if the other personr eally wanted to be with you? And if not, say so and leave already! Love the song and the video (which is basically people listening to the song and getting pumped!).
watch it HERE


As Long as We Got Each Other by B.J.Thomas

“Wait, what?? That theme song from the silly 80’s sitcom Growing Pains? You said you weren’t discussing theme songs!” Ok this could be cheating, but I am actually talking about the full length version that was released. And I absolutely love it. Yeah it’s the same song just drawn out for three and a half minutes, but the music and the vocals make this one of my favorite songs ever. If you’ve never heard it, check it out HERE



Coming Back to me Now by Celine Dion

Want a rock ballad? I have one for you! This is right up there with Meatloaf’s “I Would Do Anything for Love”, though I prefer this song more. This song was a huge deal, until her song for a little film called “Titanic” kind of stole its thunder. But I still remember it. It’s powerful, full of emotion, and one of my favorite songs ever. Check it out HERE



Walkin’ On The Sun by Smash Mouth

Just so you guys don’t think all I listen to his sappy love songs, I give you this song which always puts me in a good mood. Smash Mouth is one of the few hard rock bands (with Aeorsmith) that I actually like. This song is one of my favorites, what else can I say? Watch it HERE




Tessie by Dropkick Murphies
I’m not going to sugarcoat this, I love this song because I’m a Red Sox fan..and that what this song is all about. Would I love this song if I were not a Red Sox fan? Hard to say, but there is nothing quite like the experience of leaving Fenway Park after an exciting win and hearing this song blasting away behind you. It gets me in a good mood each and every time I hear it. I just wish the Sox had done better this year…but I digress. Listen to the song (no video sorry) HERE




What, no Bohemian Rhapsody? Nope. Footloose  just barely made it. Hungry Heart by Bruce Springsteen should be here also. That song really gets me pumped up when it starts, but kind of quiets down after that. And I considered a few others until I listened to them and realized that while they were nice songs they weren’t really the feel good songs I wanted to discuss. Maybe I will get into those on another list.


Truth is I could probably throw ten more on here. While I am not a major music fan it is still an important part of my life. However I am already long so I think that’s it for now my friends.  I will leave you with one of the best up tempo songs ever from a really overrated movie. I give you “Man in Motion”

No comments:

Post a Comment