August 24, 2014

Random Thoughts-Muppet Most Wanted

Wait….didn’t this movie come out months ago? Um…..let’s pretend that I am re posting this because of the new site and that I didn’t wait nearly six months to watch it on pay per view. Yeah…that works for me.

So, I finally got to see the long awaited sequel to The Muppets. Honestly, I have a lot of pressure on me here. As some may remember when The Muppet’s came out, I roasted it and the article got much deserved hatred. So I want to do this latest movie justice and give an honest impression of it. I have to stress, this all opinion! Oh and there may be spoilers if you’ve never seen it. What did I think?


Eh, it was ok. Honestly this movie makes me want to apologize to The Muppets for being so hard on it. Because while I hated the love story in that movie it really was a decent Muppet film. This one….had it’s moments. But for the most part, to be honest, I was bored. It really is just like The Great Muppet Caper, a decent Muppet film with nothing that really stood out or made it great. The gags were funny, and some even made me laugh.  The stuff with Kermit in the Gulag was good but went on to long. Constantine was actually a decent villain believe it or not, even though the idea that none of the Muppets could figure out it was Kermit was a stretch. I ordinarily hate Ricky Gervais but I liked him here. And the plot was actually kind of well thought out and clever, for a Muppet movie anyway. The stuff with Walter was well done especially the way and Fozzie worked off each other. And that final fight and helicopter scene was pretty decent even if Piggy never did her classic Hi-Yah!!



What about the songs? The song at the beginning was good even if it did shatter the fourth wall a bit. But the fourth wall gags were ok especially one gag referring to how the first movie ignored certain Muppets in favor of Walter. That made me laugh out loud. The songs went from awful to really good.There was a Chorus Line bit which I just groaned at but I loved the Interrogation song. I really can’t explain why but if I ever update my list of favorite Muppet movie moments that scene will definitely be on there. That may have been the scene where it most felt like a Muppet movie. The villain song was good to (both of them I guess). But Piggy’s big song was kind of dull.


Some stuff just didn’t work for me. Like a lot of the Russian stuff. Yeah that one bit with Kermit trying to escape was cute but for the most part I just didn’t care. I just couldn’t bring myself to care about these guys, except for Kermit and Tina Fey’s character (who thankfully was given a backstory sort of). The whole talent show (or whatever it was) story was lame and cliche (it reminded me of Sister Act. SISTER ACT!) I would have rather seen less Gulag and more Kermit escaping. The gag where Jean Pierre suddenly went on vacation was soooo stupid. The ending song was also crap. Well let me rephrase that. “Together Again” is a great song but the rendition did nothing for me. It was stupid and the awful CGI cameos on the wall thing was just painful. And why was Constantine singing with Kermit at the end? I don’t know but the ending failed for me.


I’m glad that the sequel carried on the story from the first, more or less, but it wasn’t anything spectacular. Bottom line,  it was good and I’m glad I finally got to see it. But to be honest I am writing this twenty four hours later and having trouble remembering anything from it (except the Interrogation song). I guess that kind of says it all.


That’s it my friends, a few thoughts I had on this movie. I hope I was more fair this time.   :)

No comments:

Post a Comment