March 4, 2014

Five Small Star Trek Moments THAT ROCK!!



Star Trek is full of big moments. You know the one's, moments like a classic Kirk speech or a fantasic space battle. Scenes which we love that people always remember. But what about the smaller moments? Those little scenes which only last a few minutes or even seconds, maybe just a line of dialogue, but leave as big an impact as any big moment.

Here are five of my favorite little moments from various TOS and TNG episodes. Some of these moments come from less than memorable episodes, but these are fantastic moments anyway. And I am sure this I will find more, but here is a good place to start!


#5. Mirror Mirror (TOS)

I love this! Mirror Mirror is a fantastic episode, starting with that opening scene! It may be THE best teaser in any episode, it does everything perfect. It sets up the situation and makes us realize things are not what they should be. Beautiful. The best part is the shot of the ship as the crew beam up, I LOVE the way the image switches around. I have been known and rewind and rewatch that a few times. Beautiful! Especially for the time period, this opening is why ahead of its time IMHO.





#4.Hero Worship (TNG)


Data is awesome! Want proof? Check out this awesome scene from a flat episode. "Hero Worship" is about a boy who just lost his family, who emulates Data. The episode is only so-so. Not the worst ever but not the best. There is nothing very memorable, except this one moment when Data tells Picard to drop the shields. That sounds like madness, until Picard looks at Data's face and realizes the android aint kidding around!








#3.Violations (TNG)

I really can't explain why I love this moment so much. It lasts maybe ten seconds, but it's one of my favorite moments in any episode. Ok, the set up is that a telepath has been mind raping the crew. At the end of the episode, Troi has to deal with this guy head on. This time she fights back, and as they do Worf walks in and knocks the guy on his butt with one motion of his hand. I love it! Maybe because of how cool Worf is taking this guy down with NO effort, maybe it's nice to see Troi fight back, or maybe because I hated this villain by the end. You have to watch because it's fast, but I love it! (this was the best video I could not responsible for the contents)








#2.Masks (TNG)

I have noted, as have othes, how Season 7 was really bad for this show. I am not sure what happened, though I think the creators were more worried about DS9 and the movie. This episode is weird and flat boring. I am not sure what the idea was but it fails. This scene is the exception. It is early in the episode when Data feels he is losing his mind. The following is such a dark moment that Linkara recently homaged it on AT4W. I could only find the line but the scene itself is really good.








#1.Plato's Stepchildren (TOS)

I have talked about this before, I think, but I will do it again anyway. This is a scene with Kirk, Spock, and McCoy and despite the awful episode this a strong scene. I love this scene for two reasons. One, the fact that there is a scene I love in this god awful piece of s*** episode is remarkable. It makes me nauseous, it's that bad, But second, it is played soooo well. After the aliens force Spock to do embarrassing things, we cut to the scene of the three. And we see Spock is not doing so well. Spock is a Vulcan, but he still needs to get the anger and rage he feels out somehow. And the moment he does is just beautiful. Nimoy is perfect here. Check it out, fantastic moment in a HORRIBLE episode.



I will come up with more and share even more awesome moments another time. So what are your favorites?

1 comment:

  1. tin8tor
    1:22 AM on March 5, 2014
    Gotta agree with Les, Kirk's decision to blow up the ship is pretty badass. And very tense.

    Off the top of my head I'd add the scene in Star Trek V where Kirk touches the brass plate that says 'Where No Man Has Gone Before' after crossing the barrier around the galaxy. Just because it reflects the pioneering spirit so well.

    That and the DS9 episode 'In The Pale Moonlight'. It's a fantastic episode, but that little bit at the end where Sisko says he can live with it always sticks with me as one of the finest moments in Star Trek history.

    And the end of "Enterprise" which shows three generations of captains saying the famous speech. It's a nice ending since it reflects the Star Trek series as a whole.

    Oh and Spock's smile when he realises he didn't kill Jim Kirk. The only time we see Spock genuinely happy, it always makes me smile in turn.

    Reply alexthed
    10:30 PM on March 4, 2014
    I actually really liked Hero Worship (as I like most episodes about Data), but my favorite is when he stumbles at hearing the kid misses his family.

    Reply Les
    7:11 PM on March 4, 2014
    Hi richb. Good picks, my friend. I'd add a few....

    Kirk activates the ship's self-destruct to force Commissioner Bele to relinquish control of the helm in the episode "Let that be your last battlefield." The use of closeups on their eyes to convey the tension is reminiscent of the last gunfight in The Good The Bad and The Ugly. It's brilliantly shot, edited and acted.

    Picard communicates with the Tamarians after learning about them through his experience with their commander, Dathon(Paul Winfield), fighting to survive on planet El-Adrel. "Shaka, and the skies fell." And Picard mourned the courageous alien who died to open up relations with his people and Starfleet. ST TNG episode "Darmok."

    Worf cannot be killed by the Jem Haddar Commander, who learns to respect his tenacity and will to win in the DS-9 episode, "By Inferno's Light." Peace.

    Reply T-kun Unusual Wordsmith III
    5:56 PM on March 4, 2014
    With so much passion this blog, I am surprise you didn't pass out from the sheer awesomeness of it. Nice work on this.

    ReplyDelete