February 9, 2012

Top 5 Favorite Animated Cats




I am going to admit something to everyone. I am a cat lover. It’s true, I love the little fuzzballs. Actually I wasn’t so much until I had one. If you’ve owned a pet, you understand. So, I have a special affinity for cats on TV and movies. Cartoons also, and I've noticed that cats don't get the respect dogs do. Sure, Snoopy and Scooby are great but what about the great cats that have been around? So, just for fun today I thought I’d take a look at my top 5 favorite animated cats. The only rule for this list is that the character has to be a house cat, not lions or tigers for example.

#5. Oliver









Oliver & Company is one of the more forgettable Disney movies. I loved the characters though. We had Dodger played by Billy Joel, and Georgette played by Bette Midler. However, for my money my favorite character was the title one, the kitty named Oliver. He is a tough little kitty, and shows lots of spunk and personality. We first see him surviving the streets of New York alone, and then when Dodger scams him he proceeds to follow him home! Probably why Dodger decided to befriend him and bring the little guy into their group.


#4. Sylvester
Suffering Succotash! What can you say about this kitty and his obsessive attempts to capture Tweety Bird? Of course, his main character trait was the lisp he had when he talked. He was also determined, nothing made him quit. Personally, I was always more a fan of Tweety Bird, but without Sylvester Tweety would have been nothing. Sylvester was a bit over confident at times, and he did have a soft side. I believe there was at least one time when he actually caught Tweety, and let him go. The chase was the fun part. Sylvester was seen in other roles, including a parent, but it is his qwest for Tweety that his most remembered for.  I tawt I taw a putty tat!




#3. Puss ‘n Boots












This cat is just so cool! Does this count as an animated cat? Sure, why not. He certainly isn’t a real cat. Puss ‘n Boots was an adorable addition to the Shrek universe when he was introduced to us in Shrek 2. He is full of all kinds of confidence and valor, and yet deep down he is just a soft hearted pussy cat. I did not see the new movie that came out, but I loved him in the Christmas special. As he sits telling a story, he is suddenly mesmerized by a Christmas tree ornament (just like a cat!). He then proceeds to start batting it around, before realizing that everyone is watching him. Puss simply notes he has shamed himself and walks away. Love that moment!


#2. Tom












You have to give this guy credit. I mean, how much abuse can a cat take from one little mouse? Jerry always wins in their struggles, and yet Tom keeps coming back for more. Tom & Jerry was never my favorite cartoon, I preferred Road Runner and Coyote, but they were fun and in a lot of ways set the standard many other have tried to copy over the years. The great thing about Tom and Jerry is that while they fight, you know deep down they are friends. Their fighting is probably more instinctive, and no real harm is ever intended. It is amazing how violent some of those cartoons got, and the blood curdling scream Tom gave out at times was quite realistic. You felt the pain. Yes, I know about the horrible movie and after seeing the NC review I have no intention of seeing it. I would like to see Tom & Jerry revived in some manner though. Anyone remember the little bird that appeared in the cartoons who thought Tom was his mother, even though Tom was working on eating him?






#1. Garfield!!!!  (surprised?)



What can I say about Garfield that hasn’t already been said? Garfield is basically a human in a cat suit, at least that’s how his creator describes him. The big thing about Garfield, aside from the laziness and voracious appetite, is his confidence. Garfield has one of the strongest self esteem’s ever, and at the same time it never blows up into a full blown ego trip. True, Garfield has his flaws. He is selfish, and tends to be mean especially to poor Odie. However, there is enough kindness underneath it all and you knew deep down he loves Odie and Jon, he just preferred not to show it. I loved him in the comics, I loved him in the cartoon series, and I loved him in the movie…….well, maybe not. The movies just didn’t do justice to the character. I have seen the new animated series that’s ok, and it’s just ok. As I’ve noted I watch the holiday specials every year, and I still read the comic when I get the chance. Garfield himself has actually changed a lot over the years, when he first premiered he was drawn much larger. As the years went on Jim Davis made him small and made other changes such as making the eyes bigger and allowing him to walk on two legs. I still can’t believe the way he was drawn in the old days.



Alright, some honorable mentions. Of course there was Felix. And for those screaming “What about Heathcliff?” he is not on here for one simple reason. I HATED HIM!! To me, Heathcliff was just Garfield without the charm. He was mean and pushy, and I never liked him. Finally, there was one cat I always adored, but I just couldn’t see him making the top 5. Which cat is that?


Figaro
I loved this little kitty! I loved him in Pinocchio, and I loved him when he became Minnie Mouse’s pet cat. He was sort of meant to be to Minnie what Pluto was to Mickey. A companion in good times and bad. What some may not know is that Figaro was the star of his very own short features in the old days, playing Minnie’s cat. I think I like him because he is such a normal cat, like Pluto Figaro doesn’t talk or walk on two legs. For two Disney characters, Pluto and Figaro are both unique for this, they are a dog and cat who act the way a dog and cat are supposed to act.


Some other I will talk about other kinds of cats, including real life cats in TV. For now, let the bashing begin about me not including Heathcliff!  I'm sorry, I just hate him.....Well, Ok to be fair I will ad a clip from the show. On the one hand, this clip exemplifies everything I hate about this character. On the other hand, it is a good little song.

No comments:

Post a Comment