January 21, 2012

My Top 10 Personal Favorite Disney Movie Moments




For some reasons, I have a lot of problems with Disney movies. Especially the old ones. Take Lady and the Tramp. In this movie the parents go away, leaving an aunt to watch the Darling's baby. However this aunt hates dogs and after Lady has a scuffle with the aunt's Siamese cats, the aunt proceeds to muzzle Lady! I saw this movie a few years ago, and as a pet owner I was incensed. If someone who was watching my pet did that....well, of course I understand that this drives the rest of the movie. And to be fair, the aunt does apologize in the end. However it just seems like Disney films are filled with moments like that, moments which piss me off for some reason.
However, that doesn't mean there aren't moments that I love. These are timeless moments that bring a smile to my face (or tear to my eye) each and every time I see them, and I decided to share them with you today. Some are songs, others are lines of dialogue, but they are my personal favorite Disney moments.


This list is from the direct release animated movies, and for the sake of this list that also includes the Pixar animated films.


#10. Cinderella, The Work Song-I love this song! Is it the best Disney ever has, no not at all. Not only is such a cute little tune, and a very nice part of the movie, but it even in its small way adds some details to her character and the crap she has to put up with every day.


#9 Lady & the Tramp, Bella Notte-I know I trashed this movie a bit, but who can resist this scene? It has been copied over and over again, and with good reason. It is such a simple, sweet scene. This really isn't a bad movie, it just doesn’t have the lasting appear some others do. I don't usually care for the mushy stuff in these movies, but this scene is real hard to resist.


#8.Monsters, Inc, Boo-This is cheating a little, But, hey, it's my list. What can I say about this little character? She was so cute, so adorable! I loved her in this movie. The best is when she tries to say Mike Wazowski's name, and his reaction to it.  She It's such a cute little moment, Makes me laugh every time. Of course, the whole movie is really good. Sully and Mike are great character, and the villains were good too.


#7. Little Mermaid, Under the Sea-I guess if I had to pick my favorite song that was actually a song, this would be it. Samuel E.Wright just does such a great job, this song really makes you want to get up and dance (well, tap your feet and sing along anyway). I debated either this or "Be Our Guest", but honestly that song is a tad over-rated. It is kind of poorly written, but the finale is so great that we forget that. Every time I see Beauty & The Beast I think, why did I like that song? Under the Sea is different, this song is just great and really makes you feel the like that world under the sea could really be there somewhere. I know many like Ariel’s song "Part of Your World", that’s fine to but this one is my favorite.

#6.Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Poisoned Apple-Of course Disney movies are not all happy moments, there are dark moments too when the villain seems to have won. This is one of the best examples. It's Funny how the first Disney movie may have the most evil of villains. The witch pretends to be an old lady, and tricks Snow White into eating a poisoned apple. Great scene, and to be honest the only one in the movie which really jumps out at me. The rest are silly, and the happy ending is a little to convenient. How many Disney movies come this close to killing the main character?


#5.Dumbo, The Crows-Dumbo is a hard movie to get through. First, Dumbo is harassed and ridiculed. Then, his mother gets locked up when she tries to defend him. Then we get that sad scene when Dumbo visits her. That is followed by the bizarre pink elephants scene which is, well, weird. Finally, after all those just as I was about to give up on this movie-the crows arrive! I love the crows, and yes I know they are controversial, but I really don't think they were intended to be a racial stereotype. This is the part of the movie where the movie actually starts to get fun, too bad it’s also the end of the film. Ah well, love it anyway.


#4.Toy Story,You are a toy!!-It is hard to pick a moment from the Pixar films. I loved them, well the one's I saw anyway, but there aren't too many moments that just jump out at me. With one exception. I just LOVED this scene. Can I emphasize that enough? Tom Hanks delivered what has to be one of my favorite Disney lines of all time. This is as close to a perfect movie as you can get, even if the animation is not quite to the same standard we have today. But the voice casting was so perfect, and the story very well done. This line is followed by Tim Allen's, which over the years has become a classic line in its own right.


#3.The Lion King, Hakuna Matata-Yeah, the song is lame. Why is it here then, when I could have picked many other scenes from this film? I will be honest; my reasons for including this are strictly personal. Without explaining why, let's just say this moment brings back some fond memories of a special time in my life. This song struck me as a way for Disney to make a ton of exposition less boring. If you really listen to it, that's all the song is. Exposition. It's no wonder that this is the only song Elton John didn't re-record. Then we grow Simba up as fast as we can so we can move on to the rest of the film. By the way, I loved "I Can't Wait to be King", so sue me.


#2.Bambi, Bambi on Ice-This is the film's charming scene. With all the tragedy in this movie, it needed one upbeat moment. By the way, in case I haven't mentioned it, Thumper is my favorite Disney character! I don't know why, I just always loved him. Of course, Bambi is such a bland character the film needs a real energetic one (the same reason Timon and Pumba need to be around adult Simba). Since it involved ice skating, Disney has tended to drag this clip out at Christmas. I still don't understand why Disney does that, but the scene is really great. It’s cute, it’s charming…what else could you ask for?

#1
Cinderella, climax-I know, I already talked about Cinderella. There have been lots of great climaxes in Disney films. I was amazed at how good the final battle in Sleeping Beauty is. And what happens to Scar at the end of Lion King is very well done. This one though, always makes me smile. After the stepmother has done everything to keep Cinderella away, her last resort is to break the glass slipper! Oh no, what will they do? Cinderella simply smiles and says, "You see, I have the other slipper right here." Hah! Suck on that you evil witch! I love that moment, it is so simple and yet effective.



Well, those are my 10 favorite moments. Now, here are a few honorable mentions:
Beauty and the Beast-I love this movie, but I couldn't think of a real stand out scene. I guess this is a consistent movie start to finish; the best scene is the whole thing!
Peter Pan-No scene strikes me as memorable, but one of my favorite quotes comes from here. How do you get to Neverland? "second star to the right, and straight on till morning." And you thought Captain Kirk said that!
The Emperor's New Groove-The gags and jokes in this film left me in stitches, especially from Yzma and Kronk, finding my one favorite would have been impossible.
Lilo & Stitch-I liked this movie, but couldn’t think of a scene which I could add here.
A Bug's Life-Hopper is one of the best villains in any Disney movie, and I always loved the ironic way he finally gets killed. This moment just missed being on here.
Oliver & Company-I loved Billy Joel’s main song in this otherwise forgettable movie.
Aladdin-You may be wondering how I could leave the Genie off the list, or “A Whole New World”. Well, truth is that this movie never resonated with me. It was good, but it was never one of my real favorites. Not sure why, I think that it was too much action and not enough heart.
Finally,
Pocahontas-I love the song "Color of the Wind", it was one of my absolute favorites, but I never really saw the movie so I felt including it in the formal list was cheating.


I hope you enjoyed sharing these great Disney moments with me. I am sure I missed many others, and if I missed yours don’t hesitate to comment and let me know. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment