December 14, 2011

Top 5 Annoying Things ABC Family's 25 Days of Christmas Does Every Year

25 Days of Christmas is a fantastic concept. A whole month of Christmas specials and shows, how can this possibly miss? However, as great as this is it seems like ABC Family does do some very annoying things. I am not saying this spoils what they are trying to do, but it does make me wonder. Here is a look at them:
Top 5 Annoying Things the 25 Days of Christmas does ever year


#5.November Preview-I love Christmas specials, but before Thanksgiving? Every year they decide to roll stuff out before we've even carved the turkey. Does anyone watch this stuff early? Then again, it’s better than showing this stuff in July, which just infuriates me! Christmas in July????? Don’t get me started on that!

#4.Non-Christmas Movies-I loved the Pixar films, Willy Wonka, and the first Harry Potter film. However, I am pretty sure that these movies are not Christmas movies. So why do they show up on this schedule every year? I understand that they are trying to be family friendly, of course, but there aren’t other Christmas shows they can put on instead? I can imagine people may argue with me on this, but I can watch Toy Story any day. I want something Christmas-related now.

#3. The same things over and over-I love the old Rankin/Bass cartoons as much as the next guy. However, how many times are we supposed to watch them? I swear every time I look at the program guide, Mickey's Christmas Carol has popped up a half dozen times by now!  Then other things hardly appear, they play it during the day to almost no promotion. If you don’t keep a sharp on the schedule you’ll miss it. Speaking of that.....

#2. Where are....?-How many movies and specials could this network air, but they don't? For example, they show virtually every Rankin/Bass special but "The Little Drummer Boy". Why? They show Nestor, the Long Eared Donkey and The First Christmas Snow which are very religious. Even if we just limit to Disney stuff, there is still a ton of stuff they never show. Why is Mickey’s Christmas Carol on a million times but Winnie The Pooh and Christmas Too is hardly shown?

#1. Original Corny movies-It amazes me they keep coming out with these every single year. This year its "12 dates of Christmas" which is another Groundhog Day rip off. We've had Santa Baby with Jenny McCarthy, Three Days about a woman getting run over on Christmas Eve, and a few Christmas Carol knock offs. They are all so sappy and contrived, with basically the same story. There is a girl dating someone or just out of a relationship, who meets a new guy and by the end of the movie they are in love.  Or the main character is an angry, career driven type who turns around into a warm loving person by the end. These sappy stories will give you a cavity. The plot for Christmas in Boston was four friends meet up in Boston on Christmas Eve. Wow, riveting! Ok, there is a little more to it but, still! These movies are silly, far fetched, and I watch some of them every year.

Of course, this is all for fun. I am just being nitpicky; the truth is I totally respect ABC Family. I love that there is a station around which shows something Christmas every day. In this day and age of political correctness where people are afraid to even say the word Christmas in public, that's a pretty remarkable thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment