December 7, 2011

Eight Great Christmas Songs From Not So Great Christmas Movies


Eight Great Songs from Not so Great Christmas Movies (revised article)
Sometimes the most memorable thing about a movie is the soundtrack. There will be a fantastic song that makes you forget you hated the movie. For example, I was bored through Narnia: Price Caspian but at the end a lovely song played titled "The Call". I loved this song, even though I hated the movie. This is even more so at Christmas. Some songs are standards, but the spin on them makes them classics. Others are new songs but the song is so great and becomes so well known people almost forget it came from a movie.  So here is my list of great Christmas songs that came from not so great Christmas movies (not bad, just not great). By the way, the order is determined by the song, not the movie.


#8. “Believe” from The Polar Express
What a great song! Josh Groban sings this pretty little tune about believing and having faith. Too bad the movie is sub-par. I know it is hard to take a children's book and make a movie out of it, but there are so many annoying things in this movie. I always watch it my remote so I can fast forward stuff like the Moose scene. Fortunately, the music is just right.


#7. “Hark the Herald Angels Sing” from A Christmas Carol (2009)
It's ironic, I hated this movie. I mean, I really hated it. However, the music is just amazing. Alan Silvestri, need I say more? Literally the only thing I enjoyed was the amazing music, and this one was my favorite. It just blew me away


#6. “Silver Bells” from Lemon drop Kid
Never heard of this movie? Well, this is one of Bob Hope’s better films and for years I swore this was not a true Christmas movie. However, it is set at Christmas time and Bob Hope dresses as Santa, so what else do I want? The best part is that Bob Hope introduced a song which became a classic. It’s a great tune, one of my personal favorites. For you trivia fans out there, Bing Crosby did the first recorded version which came out after this movie.


#5.”Put a Little Love in Your Heart” from Scrooged
This modernized Christmas Carol is kind of dark, and yet it contains this peppy little tune. It really isn't a Christmas song (exactly) but since radio stations like to play it around the holidays I'm going to include it. The funny thing is that this version has Annie Lennox doing the vocals. Guess she really needed the paycheck; this doesn't really seem like her thing. She does seem to be enjoying herself in the video with Al Green.


#4. “Where Are You Christmas?” from The Grinch
Yes, I know I've already talked about this. We all know this movie sucks, in fact it appears next week we are due for an official NC review which I am looking forward to. However, this song is so beautiful and, for me, personally relatable. I think it's this song which pushes the movie into my must see list every year.


#3. “Christmas Vacation” from National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Before you yell at me, I like this move as much as the next guy. It's funny and lots of fun, and I watch it every year. However, let's be honest it's not the greatest Christmas movie ever made. The plot is thin and some of the jokes aren't funny. The best part though is the opening with that awesome song. It really puts you in the mood for the movie.


#2. “White Christmas” from Holiday Inn
Of course, everyone forgets that the most popular Christmas song at all time came from a movie. No, not White Christmas this song actually originated in the film Holiday Inn. I finally saw this a few years ago, and I hated it to be honest. However, the song is a treasure and it always will be.


#1.”Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” from Meet Me in St Louis
This is one of my all time favorites. This film is only partly a Christmas movie but the song Judy Garland sings still touches me. Her version is also the best; no one else could sing this the way she does. The scene is amazing, even if you've never seen the movie it is worth watching.


This was a lot of fun, hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. I promise, that's my last Christmas music article.

No comments:

Post a Comment