March 11, 2016

Top 50 Episodes of Star Trek: Part Five (with Les)

Greetings, Manic Fans. Les here to finish our list of top 50 Star Trek episodes with my good friend RichB.

Hmm…again, he’s not here yet.  I wonder what amazing entrance he’ll make today…

*Without warning, and with a goofy sound effect, a geometric object and a device appear with a note. Les reads it*
images
LES: It says, hit the switch and aim the buckle at the object….alright.

*Les hits the switch, and with the same goofy sound effect, the object changes into RichB

LES: AW DAMN!…are the Kelvans back in town?…Better go reinforce my scotch supply….

RichB: I swear…it was nothing…I lost a bet…ahem! Ok, let’s get back to the list. I can’t wait I gotta see what our last twenty great episodes are!!

WARNING:  SOME SPOILERS AND ADVENTURES IN THE DELTA QUADRANT AND THE 22ND CENTURY AHEAD…

Let me start with an episode which is split down the middle….

#10.  ”Extreme Risk”
Unknown
This episode is right up my alley. Oddly it’s another Torres episode (I didn’t think I liked her that much). This takes place after she has been told that the members of the Marquis still in the Alpha Quadrant have been slaughtered. We see her trying to do all sort of dangerous stunts at, well, extreme risk. Why is she doing this? It’s very psychological as she is trying to feel pain because she feels nothing at all. This is a perfectly valid thing that can happen to people sort of like denial only deeper. It’ called self Harm and is a real thing that happens to depressed people especially women. So yeah the B story is kind of lame about a space race (and the introduction of The Delta Flyer) but I love the A story. And the scene where Chakotay forces Torres to confront her feelings is grade.

LES: Yeah, episodes like this are the reason why Torres is such a great character. This concept has been done on other shows(Commander Sinclair did something similar on season one of Babylon 5, for instance) but this story told it better. OK, last 10 eps, huh? ALRIGHT!


#10.  “Pathfinder”
images-1
Here’s the episode that gave a great story and purpose to Lt Cmdr Reginald Barclay(Dwight Shultz) as he strives to open communications with the Starship Voyager in the Delta Quadrant….yes, THAT Reg Barclay(The socially awkward crewmember of the USS Enterprise NCC-1701-D who had an unhealthy addiction to holodecks…). He’s a man obsessed with succeeding and has even created a holoprogram where he’s friends with the crew of the Voyager. I’m not going to spoil this one, but trust me….the suspense is fantastic in this one.

RichB:The best part is how little we see of the real Voyager crew in this one. It has a great cameo by Troi (yes THAT Troi) too. The show would keep using her even when it made no sense, but here it works. And the ending is a real bittersweet moment for all the characters……but as Les said you really gotta see it to appreciate this one.

#9.  “Blink of an Eye”
Unknown-1
This is an unusual episode in some ways. Voyager gets trapped in orbit over a planet that exist at a different rate of time than the rest of the universe. But the unusual part is that the episode spends a good deal of time showing the effects of Voyager’s arrival (they are causing seismic disruptions on the planet) is having on the people who live there. It’s a real change of pace to now have the episode squarely placed on Voyager’s crew. The episode needs a full recap to do it justice so let’s just say that it’s quirky but fun.

LES: Yeah, this one was very well written and realized in the production. ALRIGHT! my final episode of Voyager on this list is…

#9.  “Endgame”
Unknown-2
This one really gives ”All Good Things” a run for its money for great final episodes of a series-giving the win to TNG simply because their episode had Q in it…but Voyager had the Borg in theirs, so it’s still an awesome episode. Time travel…disregarding the prime directive…Janeway arguing with herself-literally…and an ending so suspenseful, you’ll be on the edge of your seat. THAT’S how you end a show, my friend.

RichB:Ah yes, I did a whole article trying to defend this as a good episode since many fans were displeased. Mostly because we didn’t see what happened when the crew returned to Earth, even though when the series began we barely got a glance at their lives before Voyager. No I think the ending was fitting and book ended things nicely. And yes that final scene where they return is one of my favorite moments EVER. Now before we leave Voyager, there is one more episode I need to discuss…

#8.  “Shattered”
Unknown-3
It was the final season and it seems pretty clear to me this episode was designed as an homage to the series. It was meant just for fun, and that’s exactly what it feels like. The ship is split into time zones and only Chakotay can travel through them. We see Voyager at all sorts of different points including just before the pilot, when Seven first joined, and even the future. We even get a re-appearance of badass villainess Seska. In fact, one of my favorite moments comes when a very borgified Seven comes in and kicks Seska’s ass. I love it! If you’re a fan of this show you will love this episode.

LES: YEP! I loved that episode too..and yeah, Seska bit off more than she could chew with her evil plan…GO SEVEN! WOOT! So….the franchise begged for another Trek show…what did they come up with?

“Enterprise”-The tale of the first Warp-5 capable Starfleet vessel, the NX-1 USS Enterprise and all the events leading up to the formation of the United Federation of Planets. Taking place about 100 years before TOS, this show had a lot of establishing to accomplish to show the direction history took to bring about the Federation Starship technology and Kirk’s Starfleet.

And so, I start my favorite Enterprise episodes with:

#8.  “Broken Bow”
Unknown-4
The premiere of the new series was a 2-parter…and a pretty damned good one too. All the characters are introduced and given backstory, and first Starship Captain, Jonathan Archer(Scott Bakula) leads his new crew on a dire mission to return a wounded Klingon to Q’onos…but have him kidnapped by a mysterious race called the Suliban who are waging a temporal ”Time” war with the Federation. With help from reluctant Vulcan officer T’Pol, they track him down and fight to get him back to save the mission…not to mention peace with the Klingons. This episode was interesting and whet my appetite to see more of this show.

RichB:  Yes, after three great TV series the hype was huge for Enterprise. It is so hard to give this show praise because it did so many thing badly. But fair is fair and some episodes were pretty decent, including the pilot as you mentioned. It was a good pilot, better than Voyager’s, but sadly the show seemed to not have any idea what to do afterwards. So I tried hard to come up with some good episodes, there have to be some right?

#7.  “Dear Doctor”
Unknown-5
The only Season One episode I could think of. This is another medical ethics episode and to be honest I don’t remember much about it. The reason it’s on here is because of that final speech by Archer. He talks about some day they will create document, a prime directive if you will, outlining what they can and can’t do out here. Until that day they have to remind themselves that they are explorers, and are not out here to play god. It’s an example of what a prequel can do, a nice moral dilemma which wouldn’t be in the other series where The Prime Directive is in force.

LES: That is one thing this show gets right…and that’s laying the foundation for things we know are coming(I particularly love the episode where the whole crew gets infected and becomes obsessive, and Lt. Reed creates the ”Reed” Alert(Red Alert). Alright, for my #7, I’m going with:

#7.  “Acquisition”
Unknown-6
This episode does break continuity a bit since TNG starts out with the ”first” contact with the Ferengi. However, this is a really fun episode where a band of Ferengi attempt to steal everything in the ship and Archer, Tucker and T’Pol have to outsmart them.
RichB: This episode isn’t so bad, and it makes sense that they ran into the Ferengi in some was before we met them in TNG. I mean they were familiar with them at least a little in the pilot. It was a good episode and at least the creators tried to respect continuity.

#6.  “Dead Stop”
Unknown-7
This episode should be stupid. It pulls the cliche of having a crewman killed only to find out he wasn’t really dead after all. Yeah that’s been done to death in all five series. The Enterprise docks at a strange space station for repairs. The station is run by a computer mind. Where does the station get the energy to run? It kidnaps people and uses their very neural energy. Now there’s a power source I’ve never heard from before. The way they beat the computer is pretty cool too and you gotta love the crew admiring the far off technology that is common in the TNG era. By the way, the voice of the computer and director of this episode? Roxanne Dawson, yep B’Elanna Torres herself. I think I really like her.

LES: Yeah, that one was really good, and are you kidding? LOVE B’Elanna, my friend LOL! #6 time?

#6.  “Stigma”
Unknown-8
Here’s Star Trek doing what they do the best: Addressing social injustice without specifically naming them by using an alien equivalent. T’Pol, having been violated by a Vulcan mind-melder a few episodes back has contracted a mind disease that gets her labeled a ”sinner” for partaking in the mind meld(which in this time is considered immoral) Dr. Phlox and Captain Archer both make appeals to the Vulcans to see how wrong it is. A great episode in any century.

RichB: I can’t lie….I have no memory of this episode. I probably never saw it. Sound interesting going to have to put it on my list of episodes to check out.

#5.  “Singularity”
Unknown-9
This is a disease episode, which I notice we kind of ignored here, but this one is a little better than most. Radiation form a black hole is making the crew obsess with trivial things, and ignore their actual jobs. There is also some commentary in the episode about how easy it is for people from different cultures to have misunderstandings. As you already alluded to I also like the foreshadowing of what would become the red alert in the other shows.

LES: YEP! I loved that one. Personally, I think they should’ve kept referring to it as the ”Reed” Alert LOL! For my #5, I’m going with…

#5.  “Canamar”
images-2
It’s a classic tale….Starfleet personnel in the wrong place at the wrong time are mistaken for criminals and put on a prison transport to carry out a sentence. Enter Archer and Trip. Pretty straightforward…THEN one of the other prisoners engineers a breakout and the Enterprise 2 have to try and survive the aftermath and try and save the rest of the prisoners. Think ”Con-Air” except done well….

RichB: That sounds awesome, again not sure if I saw that one. I think I was a more loyal DS9 fan. But my next episode was one I was worried since it seemed to be a huge mistake right from the start!

#4.  “Regeneration”
images-3
I can’t lie, when I heard about this episode I was worried. They got away with The Ferengi, but The Borg? In Enterprise? Violating every single thing ever established about them???? But, to be honest, it’s a good episode. Oh sure you could still nitpick how come there was no record of this, but I think it’s possible Picard took Q at his word in ”Q Who?” and never looked into it. And this was two hundred years earlier, it’s not as if it was fresh in people’s minds. Anyway, I am getting off track. This episode serves as a sequel to First Contact which makes sense really. Yes it’s The Borg and as much I wanted to hate it, I just couldn’t. Especially the end and the foreshadowing to the events of ”The Best of Both World’s”.

LES: Yeah, that’s pretty much it. I also like how Dr. Phlox manages to beat the nanoprobes he’s injected with. So, Episode 4? I’m going with…

#4.  “The Expanse”
Unknown-10
This is the episode that starts the Xindi story arc and, like the Dominion War in DS9, it’s hardcore intense. Enterprise is upgraded with better shields and weapons and an elite fighting force known as ”MAKOS” are dispatched to her for additional security and a fighting force on the ground. This episode represents a major shift in the show and it’s pretty cool.

RichB: This episode is really interesting, not only do you have the obvious 9/11 parallels but it was almost as if the creators just freely admitting the last year sucked, so they were changing the whole premise! It was a good episode.

#3.  “Similitude”
Unknown-11
This was one of the more interesting episodes to come from the Expanse arc. They kind of go the way of Voyager’s ”Tuvix” but without the controversial ending. Yeah we didn’t cover that episode, subject for another article. To save Tripp’s life a clone is created. What better person to get a transfer from than yourself? The clone ends up enjoying living and the episode basically gets into a right to life argument. Should the clone, called Sim, give up his life so Tripp can live? I am probably not doing the episode justice, but it truly is one of Enterprise’s stronger episodes. Very well written and acted.

LES: It really was an exceptional episode. Enterprise kept getting better and better….I wish they’d been given the chance to go 7 seasons like the other shows did. I really think they were getting their traction in the 3rd and 4th season…SIGH!….oh well….time for #3

#3.  “Twilight”
Unknown-12
When the Captain gets infected with temporal parasites….he wakes up ten years later having made no further long term memories as a result of the infection(Think 50 first dates….). The Xindi have annihilated Earth and only a handful of survivors have settled on Ceti Alpha 5(Yeah, the same one Khan ended up on….). T’Pol takes care of him while Trip readies the Enterprise for one more mission…to attempt to eliminate the parasites and put the timeline back on track. This one plays a lot like ”All good things,” in the way the climax is achieved. Great episode.

RichB:This is easily my favorite episode of the series. It takes a cliche concept, I hate that reset button!, but does a great job with it. Again, because it focuses on the characters especially Archer and T’Pol. And it has probably the best teaser in any episode except for maybe TNG’s Cause and Effect! I could talk about this one all day!

#2.  “Observer Effect”
Unknown-13 
Remember the Organians in ”Errand of Mercy”? Well before Kirk and Spock made contact with them, they were secretly observing the crew in this clever episode. As you know I am a sucker for bottle episodes and this is very much one. It also gives the actors a chance to go out of character as the aliens possess the crew to interact and converse with each other.

LES: Oh, definitely. I really love how that one gets solved too. Great pick. Hooo….last 2 episodes? OK.

#2.  “Doctor’s Orders”
Unknown-14
Borrowing a bit from the episode ”One” from Voyager, this one has the Enterprise going through a dangerous part of space that requires the crew to be sedated leaving the ship to be run by Doctor Phlox who develops paranoia and hallucinations. Like ”One” this episode is smartly shot and really well acted.

RichB:Stop me if you’ve heard this, I don’t remember this one. I think I should really go back and re watch these, as we have discussed there have been some good episodes. But my #1 episode is by far the coolest.

#1.  “Carpenter Street”
Unknown-15
Yeah I know this was Season Three but I had given up on Season 4, though the Brent Spiner episodes were good. This was a time travel episode that many don’t seem to like. I think it was cool though, the way Archer and T’Pol observed the culture and defeated the Xindi. I don’t know, I like this episode especially the end when the Detroit PD swarm in and arrest the sleazebag villain. I already talked about this at length so I don’t need to ramble on. Fact is I enjoyed this one and for Enterprise that is high praise!  Alright Les, what is your #1?

LES: I love your pick, and the whole foil the plot to ruin the foe by going back in time to make changes is a trite concept…but one they found a fresh way to tackle. Great choice. My #1 episode of Enterprise?…It couldn’t be anything else…

#1.  “In a mirror darkly”
Unknown-16
What makes this episode so great is the concept alone. In a show about the pre-history of the Federation….we get an episode about the pre-history of the mirror universe seen in ”Mirror Mirror”(TOS), and it’s so well done, I almost wanted them to do a 5th series based on this one episode going forward with more episodes. As I know RichB wants to elaborate on this further….I turn it over to him….

RichB: What a perfect way to end this discussion of favorite episodes by talking about the episode that directly ties back to the Original Series. This was a prequel to Mirror, Mirror and a sequel to The Tholian Web at the same time! We even see a Constitution ship, of course this is The Defiant but so what?  That first scene on the classic Bridge still takes my breath away! The smart writers knew they couldn’t do a mirror universe story where the two crews met, so this episode is fully contained in the mirror universe. And everything, from the characterizations right down to the awesome alternate opening credits, is fantastic! I really need a whole article to talk about all the awesomeness in his one!


Well Les, I think we’ve run out of slots. This has been a blast doing this with you!

LES: Agreed. It’s always a lot of fun to work with you, my friend. Let’s do this again soon.

And for those of you who’d like the full list….I’ll list our respective top 50 episodes. They’re listed chronologically, not worst to best.

No comments:

Post a Comment