March 2, 2016

Five Comic Book Artists I DO Like

A year ago I discussed five comic book artist who’s work I have never been impressed with. For whatever reason, I never followed that up with a look at those artists I do enjoy. Let’s remedy that shall we.  I have never cared that much about artwork with comic books, so for me to love an artist says a lot. Here are five comic book artists who’s work goes above and beyond the norm, for me anyway.






Alex Ross
alex ross - 11
Ross is the kind of artist where even if you’ve never read a comic in your life, you’ve probably head this guys name. His style makes the characters ro realistic that it’s downright chilling. Ever wonder what Batman really looked liked? Ross has got it nailed down. I have never read anything he has drawn, but have seen enough of his work to know it is simply amazing.







Brian Bolland
81eb4247149ddf5b965ea93f11f7b8a3
Anyone know a good cover artist? Somewhere close to Alex Ross is where this guy comes in. I have a bunch of TPB’s that he did the cover for, and of course there was his most famous work in The Killing Joke. In fact for me his was the quintessential Joker, I have never seen another version top it. He did other great work including, inside the pages like in Camelot 3000 which I have enjoyed, and Wonder Woman







John Byrne
byrnesuperman
He always seems to pop up in my comic book articles. I love Byrne’s writing but his pencils are pretty darn good too. He has a real way of making people look more like people and less like cartoon characters. Of course I am referring to his Superman work, which remains my favorite version to this day. Though his X-Men and Fantastic Four stuff was good too. A lot of people say Curt Swan did the perfect Superman, but I always like Byrne’s.








Jim Aparo
12312233387755
I wanted a Batman artist, and there are several to choose from. From Frank Miller to Neal Adams! But I couldn’t come up with one..and then I remembered that I did have favorite. Jim Aparo was the best Batman artist ever in my humble opinion. There was just something about the way he was drawn, moody and grim but you could also tell that there was a human being in there. Some artists tend to forget that he is a man after all. I absolutely adored his Batman.









George Perez
george_perez-1
This guy is just awesome, there is nothing he can do wrong. Well, ok maybe not nothing. But this guy is just fantastic, and the best thing about him is the way he can draw like fifty superheroes on a single page and detail then perfectly! He also had runs on Wonder Woman and of course New Teen Titans and they all drawn well. By the way he wasn’t a bad storyteller either relaunching Wonder Woman in the 80’s. Click on the picture above, and you can see what I mean. The guy is amazing.








Ummm…no women? We’ll have to look into that and come back with another list.

No comments:

Post a Comment