March 27, 2016

Ten Great Superman/Batman Comic Book Stories



Batman-v-Superman-Dawn-of-Justice1
So I heard Batman V Superman:Dawn of Justice finally came out. How were the reviews?


Oh.


Yeah….I may end up seeing this but I don’t know. I know I was positive about the trailer back in January but I was really just being real optimistic. But it feels like they tried to do much and accomplished nothing. Yeah the scene with Wonder Woman is badass but from what I hear it doesn’t last long. Also, I spoiled the ending for myself. I like doing that, it got me to see Into Darkness because I just had to see that stupid ending, and without giving anything away and based strictly on what I read (and heard from others)…it sounds really, really stupid. And what an opportunity too, having Superman and Batman together in one movie. Why is DC so determined to kill its own movie franchise?? Sigh……..



You know what, I need to take my mind off this movie. Even Angry Joe didn’t like it and after the way he praised Man of Steel that is a very bad thing! I think instead I will focus on good stories featuring Batman and Superman. After all, they were the World’s Finest long before this movie was ever conceived. They were a team way back in the silver age right though modern times. Oh sure, sometimes they’re friends and sometimes they’re not, but when these two are in the same story it’s always good (well, almost always anyway. Superman/Batman:Generations was awful). In the comic books at least. And sure the animated movies too but I haven’t seen those.


batman_superman


And it makes sense, Superman and Batman are polar opposites. Superman is the symbols of hope, bright and shining. Batman is the symbol of justice, dark and brooding. When they are together it just works beautifully. Now of course there are dozens of these, picking just ten is like picking the proverbial needle in a haystack. But here we go. Also I am trying to pick only stories where Superman and Batman are the focus, not just happen to be there. If I did that the entire run of JLA would be on this list.

210041superman76JLA_v.1_66b1_103116_0_WorldsFinestVol1283PrologueBrave_and_the_Bold_v.1_150Superman_Annual_Vol_1_9



I am starting in the 80’s because as hard as I tried I couldn’t remember a good issue from before that. It seemed like in the 60’s and 70’s the duo were limited to World’s Finest and Justice League of America. It’s almost like for some reason DC didn’t let them do any crossover’s outside those titles (there was an issue of Brave and the Bold which was only OK, that’s the odd cover above Superman is in that story. And that issue of Superman Annual #9 looks OK may have to hunt that one down). Of course Superman and Batman had been appearing in World’s Finest since the silver age. And those stories were pretty silly, at least the few I have read, and they usually had Batman and Superman trying to trick Jimmy Olsen and Robin for some reason.



But it seemed only fair to begin with that title so here is a good issue from that run to start off our list.



World’s Finest Comics #300
s-l1000
This is an interesting anniversary issue because it doesn’t really read like an anniversary issue. After looking at these I think I found the common thread, Superman and Batman battle something apart and then come together for the final act. And that’s what happens here as the two battle an alien demi god with some help from The Outsider and the JLA. And this takes place after Batman abruotly quit the league so there is plot thread of the two not being very happy with each other that gets resolved. But these books weren’t that great. Even in the bronze age those stories were kind of, silly. It seems like back then creators figured it was enough just to have the two in the same issue together. That may have flew back then back not so much in the 80’s and beyond.The one exception may have been that mag’s final issue….




World’s Finest Comics #323
227631
So after the events on Crisis on Infinite Earths it was decided to revamp the Superman backstory. One of those changes was that he and Batman did not get along. So that meant that World’s Finest had to be cancelled to make way for the Byrne era version,. So how did this series end? Actually it surprisingly ended with Batman and Superman at odds, and dissolving their partnership. I wonder if since the creators knew that was the direction things were going, they would kind of plant the seeds. It’s a simple but poignant ending. So how did the Byrne era handle things? Funny you should ask………..




Man of Steel #3
05-Man-of-Steel-3
This was and in many ways still is the quintessential Superman meets Batman story. For once they weren’t best buds in some sort of bromance (though that would return years later, on a cruise ship????). They were at odds, and even got annoyed with how the other operated. John Byrne wrote and drew this and it’s a great story of their first meeting. Superman considers Batman an outlaw and Batman has to convince him his methods are necessary. This gets proven when they must defeat a villain named Magpie. Byrne would also write  their team up in Action Comics Annual #1 that year which isn’t on this list because it isn’t that good.
Man-of-Steel-3





Dark Knight Over Metropolis
dc-superman-654
It’s funny, all of the lists that I saw of Superman/Batman stories this one never seemed to make the cut. Heck one even had Superman’s appearance in the Batman story “A Death in the Family” which to me hardly counts, it’s basically a cameo. I love this story and it is available in a trade. Batman is in Metropolis investigating a  mysterious radiation death, and ends up helping Superman fought Intergang. The best part is that while this story is very much part of the story line going on in the Superman books, the three issues go out of their way ti catch you up. This final panel is the infamous scene where Superman gives Batman the kryptonite ring to hold on to just in case he ever needs to be stopped. The two are at odds here but at least willing to help each other.
1990-Dark-knight-over-metropolis-e-695x1024





Superman Annual #3
Superman_Annual__3
Speaking of that ring. I once said that while DC Comics botched the Armageddon 2001 event back in 1991, some of the annual’s were still worth reading. This is one of them. The premise is simple, what happens to Superman if Metropolis were to be nuked and everyone he loved was killed. Apparently he turns into a obsessive vigilance who will do anything to impose what he believes his right. Batman has to step in and stop it.





Action Comics #719
Action_Comics_719
This is quite an issue and is another hat seems fly under mosy people’s radar. It invlves Superman being pushed to the brink, and Batman has to keep him from freaking out and killing someone. Who does he want to kill? The Joker of course, who has poisoned Lois Lane and the only way to cure her is to kill Joker. It’s a pretty intense issue and it’s nice to see Batman be the peace maker for a change.
joker55a






Batman and Superman:World’s Finest #7
948348-p00007
I came across this one in a trade called Superman/Batman:The Greatest Stories Ever Told. This one issue is part of an eight part series basically covering the two’s career. In this issue we see Batman and Superman dealing with fallout from events in their own books at the time the story is placed. It’s quite a story as we see these two heal as friends. And I may have to seek out the rest of this series. True it doesn’t quite fit in with the continuity of those earlier stories, but the dialogue the two have is really touching. By the way there have been many one shots with the “World’s Finest” title and the one’s I read were…mostly Ok.




Batman #612
Batman_612
This one showed up in many lists so I decided to check it out. The plot involves Superman being taken over by Poison Ivy. Yikes. So Batman has to stop him, and thanks to that piece of krytonite I mentioned before he does a pretty good job of it. It’s memorable for two reasons, the fantastic Jim Lee art and the fact that Batman has to beat up on  Superman. This is one of the only times in normal continuity this happened, and it works. You may have noticed no Frank Miller on this list. Yeah….no.
Batman 612 - Hush





Superman/Batman #1-7 (Public Enemies)
60957-10938-93952-1-superman--batman
I’m as surprised as anyone else that I read this since it’s more modern. I actually stumbled onto it online. Whats surprised me even more was how much I enjoyed the opening story line. So much so I bough the trade. Yeah the series continued on but the opening arc was really good. The funny thing is that it was 2003 when this came around. Almost twenty years after Worlds’ Finest ended, DC finally gave them a title again. The premise is good, when Superman is accused of crimes he didn’t commit then President Luthor sends out a team of heroes to bring him in. Fortunately Batman is on Superman’s side and has his own team ready to help Superman defeat Luthor. I did read past issue #7 but  I didn’t like it as much. The first story arc however was really good.




Superman and Batman vs. Vampires and Werewolves
1125727
And finally…one I still haven’t read yet. But the Longbox of the damned episode makes me want to! I have come close to picking it up a few times but still haven’t. It’s pretty much what the title says. And yes I know Superman doesn’t even show up until part three, but I’ve heard good things about this one and will get around to it one of these days. By the way I know they also did an Aliens/Predator crossover and I probably should look into that sometime.







Before I go, a look at their latest title. Yeah that artwork is horrendous and the rendering of Superman still pisses me off. But it’s nice to see they are still a team.
BMSM_Cv1B_SM_var

And to say the least, there are lots more stories out there. This was just a drop in the bucket, and if I missed your favorite comment and let me know.


Superman Batman Greatest Stories





As for the new movie, I guess I gotta see it sooner or later. If I do I will share my thoughts with you guys. Though I may hold out until I find out what my friend Les thought. He’s a bigger Superman fan than I am!

Batman-V-Superman-Trailer-Wonder-Woman-Trinity

No comments:

Post a Comment