November 13, 2011

Top 5 Movies Which Scared Me As a Kid



This is a companion to the blog I just posted about sitcoms that scared the crap out of me. I want to talk about movies that scared me. Some of these were supposed to be scary, others weren't really but I saw them at too young an age. Again, this is a personal list and just my opinion.
#5. Gremlins-This movie about little monsters just scared the crap out of me. It starts out fine; a guy buys a cute little gizmo and is told three simple rules. Don't feed them after midnight (when is it safe to feed them?), never get them wet, and avoid direct sunlight. Long story short, the kid doesn't listen and little Gizmo becomes a horrible green monster. Then he becomes several monsters who terrorize a town on Christmas Eve. I don't know what it was; maybe it was the sheer numbers of them. The microwave scene was certainly gross. This was one of the first movies I remember regretting seeing,

#4. RoboCop-Man, what a mistake this movie was. My brother and I had heard the ads, a superhuman cyborg that fights crime. This sounded awesome! We begged out father to take us, and while he knew we were too young he caved and took us. What unfolded before my eyes was a gore fest like I had never seen before. The topper was when one criminal played by Paul McCrane gets dumped by acid or whatever it was and mutates, or whatever happened to him I just know the movie unfolded like a nightmare. To be fair, it is a good movie and I loved the ending. That doesn’t change that fact I should have waited to see it. I think it's because of this movie to this day I research any movie I plan to see, to make sure there isn't anything in it I won't like.

#3. Poltergeist-Well, I had to have one legitimately scary movie on here. You know the story, family moves into a house built over a cemetery, and all sorts of fun stuff happens. This movie was intended to be scary, and it sure was. I was stuck watching it when my older cousin had it on during a birthday party. The only scene I clearly remember is the clown scene, but I know I saw more. Took me two weeks to get this movie out of my head, and is a large reason why I avoid horror movies today.

#2.Summer School-If you’re wondering what the heck movie this was I don't blame you. This Mark Harmon dud was about a summer school teacher and his uninterested class. Two students, who were Bill & Ted knock off's, were huge horror movie fans (Texas chainsaw to be specific) and loved to act out horrific scenarios like one scene they pretend rabbits were attacking them with blood and everything. Toward the end there is a big scene where they want to scare off the new teacher, long story, and they do it by pretending the whole class had been slaughtered. Everyone is bloody and sliced up, blood all over the place, and these two appear with chainsaws running. Can I just say, this scene scared me to death. I know, it was supposed to be funny but it wasn't. The fact the movie sucked didn’t help. Funny story, a few years later this was on cable and my brother and I, being older, decided to rewatch this scene from a more mature perspective. We told our younger sister to leave, which she of course didn't and the scene played out she started to get all freaked out. My father then yelled at us to turn the TV off and go outside. Terrible, terrible, terrible movie (this would be my vote for a nostalgia critic episode!)

#1.Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure. I made this movie #1 because of one very notable reason. This was the first, and only, movie I ever walked out on. I just couldn’t take the disturbing images I was seeing, and asked my father to get me the heck out of there. I like Paul Reuben’s character and even enjoyed the Saturday morning cartoon, but this movie just wasn’t for me. The movie was just weird and made no sense. However I think the worst scene that sealed the deal for me was the Large Marge scene. In the scene Pee-Wee is in a truck being driven by a strange old lady telling a strange story. Then at one point she looks at Pee-Wee, and makes the scary-ass face which comes right out of nowhere. Well, that was it for me. Now I know this movie is well liked, and maybe someday I will sit through it. I just know when I first saw I was way too young. I always wondered though, did Pee-Wee ever get that bike back?

That’s my list, hope you enjoyed this little glimpse into my childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment