November 29, 2011

Random Thoughts - The Muppets (film)



*****SPOILERS!!!*******
Well, I finally went to see The Muppets today. When news of this movie came out was I was very worried, but then all the praise and critical acclaim started to pour in and I figured the movie would be fantastic. I was wrong.
Am I the only person in the world who didn’t think this movie was great? Now don’t get me wrong, it was good. Better than Muppets in Space, that’s for sure. However, for everything I liked about the movie there was something else I hated. So, I thought I would run through a list of those things. By the way, I wasn’t kidding about there being spoilers here. If you’ve seen the movie, or don’t care, keep on reading.
What I didn’t like:
The first ten minutes. First of all, the scenes at the start of Walter and Gary were just weird. I understand in this world Muppets are accepted along with humans, but how can a human person and a Muppet be brothers? I kept waiting for someone to say Walter was adopted. Their relationship was weird, even having two beds closer together than Bert and Ernie. If these were two humans it would be been odd, making one a Muppet didn’t help. Then, we get a wonderful music number which was great, if the movie was The Music Man. What was this scene doing here anyway?
The Romance Sub-Plot. Gotta say, I couldn’t have cared less if Gary and Mary hooked up. That song Mary has about being by herself, I mean who cares really? The worst thing was that they had to shoehorn that into the ending. It’s a MUPPET movie, who cares if these two hook up? They could have kept this story the exact same if they lost the romantic crap, and maybe given another Muppet something to do. I would have rather seen the whole Muppet gang singing together.
Where are the Muppets? Follow me on this. Yeah, I know Kermit and Piggy got a lot of screen time but where was everyone else? Gonzo practically disappeared by the end, Rizzo wasn’t even in it, even Pepe who I hate deserved more than the quick cameo he got. What about Robin?  We got teased with Muppet Show references, but none of them appeared. Why not a quick Pigs in Space moment, or a classic music number like the show had? The one they did was ruined because they had Jack Black kidnapped and tied up (what was the point of that? Would it have really spoiled the movie to have a celebrity host happy to be there?) They did let Gary and Mary blend into the background a lot, but not enough for me.
The Villain. Talk about a cartoon character. Someone else pointed out that we never get any motivation for why he hates the Muppets so much, which would have been nice. In the original movie Doc Hopper’s motivations are crystal clear. You also felt true dread from him, he wasn’t fooling around. Did anyone really care about the villain in this movie? And his song was SO ANNOYINGLY BAD! The evil Muppets were underdeveloped, and what is with that stupid bear that pops in every movie?
A few more notes. The 4th wall jokes were annoying, how can we take the movie seriously if they are not?  Jack Black was in it way too much and was annoying, the payoff with Animal was disappointing, and a lot of the songs didn’t work. I didn’t like how they used the montage to speed through reuniting the Muppets, I want to see that not Amy Adams dancing down the street!
Ok, let’s change the tune. Although I do have one more comment but I will save it for a moment.
Things I liked :
Walter. I hated Gary, but Walter was a very good character. Why did we need Gary and Mary? Oops, sorry. Walter’s story really struck a chord with me, I know what it feels like to have no idea who you are or where you belong. It was nice to see him to realize what he was, and find a family dynamic he could belong and be a part of. I was worried about this character, but he totally worked.
Kermit and Piggy. These are the only two Muppets who didn’t get shafted. I loved how they explored their relationship the way they did. Kermit is always shy about his feelings, and it was about time it came up in a movie. Why can’t Kermit tell Piggy how he really feels? Just very well done. And the scene where Piggy sees Kermit again after so many years brought a smile to my face.
The Nostalgia. The song Kermit sings in his house “Pictures in my Head” was so beautiful, it really was. It was a great scene. The old pictures, the mayhem band bus, and then later they recreate the opening to The Muppet Show. It was just great, and brought back some good memories. It was also nice of them to acknowledge that time has passed the Muppets have faded, unlike some reboots they didn’t ignore their history just to get a fresh start (like Star Trek and  DC Comics did).
The Rainbow Connection. What can I say? This was the best scene, ever. The song alone is enough to make one a little misty, but the way they did it here was so great. If I buy the DVD someday, it will be for this scene.
The celebrity cameos were ok. Jim Parson’s appearance was, odd, but it worked too. I didn’t care for that song when it started but it grew on me by the time it was finished. But because of Walter’s story, I didn’t care about Gary’s. I think they made a big mistake making the two characters brothers; friends would have been more believable.
Finally, if you watched Doug’s review you know he talked about the cop out ending. Without giving it a way, I have to say I totally agree with him. The reason I agree with him is because of how they did it, almost like an afterthought. Instead of having a big scene and a satisfying climax, it is squeezed into the closing credits. Oh, but they made sure to show that Gary and Mary got engaged. Thanks goodness, I was so interested in them!
Basically, the movie wasn’t bad but Jason Segal and Amy Adams kind of spoiled it for me. I want to see the Muppets, not them. I won't say I was disappointed because there were some great moments, but it sure wasn't perfect. I’m gonna say something which will shock some, but it’s true. Given a choice, I would rather see A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie. It has essentially the same plot, and it treats The Muppet Show with more respect I think.
One last thing, I enjoyed the Toy Story short even if the ending was a bit rushed. Still, it was cute. One last thing I really loved about this movie, it wasn’t in 3-D!! Thank heavens!

No comments:

Post a Comment