November 25, 2011

Top 5 Christmas Movies I Hate


I thought I would start what is sure to be a few articles over the next month regarding Christmas. There are so many movies, TV shows, specials, and songs that I can get into that I am sure I will not have time to cover everything. That's cool, gotta save some stuff for next year. Let's talk today about five Christmas movies I hated. Not saying that these are the worst, I am sure there are worst out there. Also there are probably people who love them and that's fine. I just hate them. I am limiting this to theatrical releases.

#5. A Christmas Story. Hey, stop throwing things at me! I know, this movie is a cult classic and has a very loyal following. It shows on Christmas Day for 24 hours straight, and I have never met anyone who had anything bad to say about it. Well, except my father maybe. I'm sorry, but I hated this movie. Some of the scenes are weird and being very anti-gun, I don't feel sorry because Ralph can't get his gun. I have seen it over the years and will admit it does have some charming stuff in it. But it is ruined by that stupid scene with Santa Claus in the mall, and will never be a favorite. However, to be fair I put it high on this list. I know what's going to happen, I'm going to probably get ten comments telling me to watch it again. Don't hate me.  ;)


 
#4.Disney's A Christmas Carol-I mean the one that just came out a year or two ago. Man, I was all excited to see this. Jim Carey as the star? The most faithful adaptation ever? 3-D? Ok, I didn't care about the 3-D but the rest sounded cool. Boy was I disappointed. The only one thing about this movie I liked was the soundtrack. To be fair, the music was great. The rest was so annoying. Jim Carey didn't deliver, the animation was nice enough but the 3-D was so-so. This was not the most faithful adaption; I don't care what the creators believed. The part that really killed me was the crazy scene in the Ghost of Christmas Future segment where Scrooge is miniaturized (?) and then chased around the streets for several minutes. What the heck did this have to do with anything? I have loved A Christmas Carol for as long as I can remember (which I will explore more in another article) and this wasn't true to the book at all. I was just really disappointed with this film, and will never watch it again.

#3.The Santa Clause 3-What a disappointment this thing was. I want to make clear; The Santa Clause is my favorite Christmas movie. I think it does everything right, and Tim Allen is surprisingly good. More than good, he does an amazing job in that movie turning into Santa clause. This sequel was just lousy. I am also a fan of movies which look at events from a different perspective, which is kind of what this movie does by revisiting the 1st movie. So I had high hopes. First of all, the whole movie is setting up this plot by Jack Frost. When we finally get to it the whole thing takes about ten minutes, then everything is reset and the movie is over. Too much beginning and not enough ending. I also can't believe how bad Alan Arkin and Ann-Margaret are in this film. They were truly phoning this in. Santa Claus comes off as a jerk and an idiot, and his top elf Curtis is just useless. Why would Santa make the laziest elf top elf? I could go on and on nitpicking this film.

#2. Once Upon A Christmas.zzzzzzzz. Oh, sorry. Just thinking about this movie puts me into a coma. Mary Steenburgen is a fine actress, but boy does she bring this movie down. She is a depressed woman named Ginny and she does a great job. Such a great job she makes you want to shoot yourself. Even when she is happy at the end, it's still depressing. Of course the script is also bad. An angel is sent to cheer this lady up. First, he introduces himself to Ginny's daughter, for no reason. Then they visit Santa, for no reason. Finally the angel stops time or reverses it or something so she can see what happens if she doesn't lighten up. What happens is her husband gets killed and the children almost drown in a river. I can deal with dark elements in a Christmas movie but they just seem so unnecessary in this movie. Poor plot, poor pacing, poor story. This movie just sucked.

#1. Santa Clause: The Movie-I have nothing against Dudley Moore or John Lithgow, but wow this movie stunk. It actually starts out pretty good as we see how Santa Clause came to be. Then the plot finally takes over, and the story just gets stupid. Dudley Moore's character Patch tries to revolutionize the way the elves make toys but the sped up process is a disaster. What does he do? He runs away, and ends up in New York where he runs into a ruthless and greedy toy executive. John Lithgow can be good when he does over the top, but here it is too much. He gets Patch to help create a second Christmas holiday which includes a lollipop which will be delivered to every child. These lollipops make children fly. At first it is so successful Santa feels unwanted. Um, really? Kids would rather have lollipops than toys? Anyways the story just gets sillier and sillier. It's revealed the lollipops are dangerous (no!) and Santa has to save the day. The movie ends with a reindeer stunt they spend the whole movie building up, but it gets a big yawn from me. Patch is reunited with the elves and John Lithgow's character winds up floating right up into space. This isn't half the dumb things in this movie, but I made my point. I just hated this movie, it was real stupid.

Well, that's my list of five Christmas movies I don't liked. Jingle all the Way and Deck the Halls would probably be on here but I have avoided them, I know how bad they are. I liked Christmas with the Kranks, but I can understand why so many people have problems with it. I know people will disagree with me and that's cool. Which Christmas movies did you find disappointing?

No comments:

Post a Comment