November 29, 2011

Top 5 Favorite Santa's in Movies & TV (Non-Animation)


TOP 5 Favorite Santa'S in Movies & TV (Non-Animation)

It's safe to say Santa Claus has been portrayed several times. I think Dracula holds the record for most portryals, but Santa can't be to far on the list. Some people just put on a Santa costume and pretend, others actually play the real thing. I wanted to take a look at my personal favorite versions of Santa in movies and TV.


#5.Tom Hanks in Polar Express

Yes, this is cheating. It says right at the top this list is non-animation. However, Polar Express isn't really animation. Not in the traditional sense anyway, it's motion capture. Tom Hanks does a very good job as a kind of quiet Santa who isn't loud and annoying. There are so many stupid and annoying things in this movie, but Santa Claus was done just right.


#4.David Huddleston in Santa Claus:The Movie.
Yeah, I know I gave this movie a lot of crap and it deserves it. However, I have to be fair and say that this was a good Santa. In fact he was the only thing this movie did right. Santa here is a happy fellow but has a soul too. I neglected to mention before that the person who created this movie was Alexander Salkin, who did Superman. Boy, can you see the similarities. Sorry, Santa is not a superhero. Anyway, below is the one good scene in this movie. Enjoy.
#3.Peter Schrum in Family Ties.

What am I talking about? I will probably be bringing this episode up again, but the one I am referring to is the episode "Miracle in Columbus". This episode has Alex playing Santa in a mall where a lonely girl touches his heart, but that is not the Santa I am referring to. At one point Alex is visited by the "real" Santa, and for a TV show they did a great job. He is a fat, jolly old elf like he stepped out of that old poem. It's a short scene, but very well done. This is one of my favorite Christmas episodes ever (hint to where this show will appear again) and this portrayal of Santa has always been one of my absolute favorites.

#2.Tim Allen in The Santa Clause

When I first heard that Tim Allen was going to play Santa, I figured no way this would work. Then I saw a picture of him in full make-up, and couldn't believe it. However, it's not just the make-up that makes this performance work. Tim Allen does such a great and unappreciated acting job in this movie. He is warm, kind, and really cool. This is my favorite Christmas movie, because the portrayal of Santa and the Elves is so honest. It isn't corny or dark, it's happy and light. (sorry about the clip, it was the best I could do. The first movie is much better than the 2nd).


#1.Edmund Gwenn in Miracle on 34th St.
Could anyone else possibly play this role better? I have always loved this movie, and he was the reason. He is so convincing that you really do believe his story. His scenes with a very young Natalie Wood are very effective, and while one can pick the plot apart it doesn't take away from the fact that Gwenn was perfect Santa. The clip below was the best I could find.


There are a lot of others of course. I know people will say "What about Douglas Seale?" I never sat through Ernest Saves Christmas, though I did see the NC episode and he seemed fine. Edward Asner played the character in Elf, which I also never saw. Finally, the Santa in Muppet Letters to Santa was really good. If there were a #6 spot he may have made the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment