November 17, 2018

Top 10 Friends Thanksgiving Episodes



Normally for Thanksgiving I like to go over sitcom Thanksgiving episodes. Except for the two years I did nothing that is. In the past I've either reviewed one episode for a series, or an overview of an entire series worth of episodes. But so far I haven't talked about one sitcom that was almost synonymous with Thanksgiving. Which show?








Yep, Friends did a memorable and clever Thanksgiving episode ever year. Well, nearly every year. And I decided it was finally time to decide which was the best, and the worst. From the looks of it I am not the first to do this. By any means. Oh well, every list is different so there's that. Here's my list anyway. Here are my top 10 Friends Thanksgiving episodes, from worst to best.












#10."The One With the List" (Season 2)

When I said they did great Thanksgiving episodes every year, meet the exception. Season two gave us no real Thanksgiving episode unless you count the B story here which I really don't. But I needed 10 episodes, so....









#9."The One with the Late Thanksgiving" (Season 10)

Why why why? If the whole reason these episodes worked was because it was the six friends in a room, then why do the opposite for the final one?? I was really disappointed with this when I first saw it, and years later I still can't say I am to fond of it. Yes yes the ending is sweet and all, but the Friends apart for the first half and then fighting for the second half does not a great episode make. Not bad for a regular episode, but not as good as a Thanksgiving episode.











#8."The One with the Rumor" (Season 8)

I don't want to say this in the whole article but, if you read my episode guide you know I hated this episode because it's all about what Ross and Rachel were like in high school. And really, who cares? a lot of people like this because Brad Pitt is the guest star. Yeah, as cool as that is it's not enough for me. Add the fact that the titular rumor is a big, stupid retcon is also a turn off for me. How could Rachel have been that pipular with that awful rumor? To be fair the episode tries to acknowledge this but...no. And Joey's subplot leaves him off stage for half the episode.











#7."The One Where Chandler Doesn't Like Dogs" (Season 7)

Ah these Thanksgiving episode do like their retcon's don't they? In this one, we find out Chandler doesn't like dogs. For no real reason. And then we have Rachel and her new assistant, which is ok but not great. Ross trying to solve Chandler's state quiz is just stupid, I can't believe that in the whole time the episode takes place in that he couldn't have finally figured them all out.









#6."The One with the Football" (Season 3)

I've seen people hate this episode and some love it. I guess for me it took awhile to grow on me. It's a change of pace since the whole episode is outside and away from the apartment. But even so it's still all six together. Chandler's story is addressing his recent break up but unlike the next episode it doesn't overwhelm the episode. It's fun to see the gang competitive, though you'd be better off watching the DVD version over the edited syndicated one.










#5."The One with Chandler in a Box" (Season 4)

The thing that hurts this one is that this episode is also the final episode of a story arc that had been going on about Chandler and Joey. And not only does that kind of hurt the Thanksgiving part of this episode, but often it causes the story arc to be incomplete when re-runs skip it. Putting that aside it isn't a bad episode at all. The B story of Monica dating Richard's son is...ewww. But it gets addressed so we're cool. The best part is the ending, Joey is just to sweet a guy to stay mad at Chandler and that shines right through.











#4."The One with Rachel's Other Sister" (Season 9)

Honestly this episode would have been perfect if not for that idiotic plate subplot. Chandler decides to use their wedding China and Monica is obsessed about not getting a scratch on them. Why?? Why have them if they're not to be used? Anther useless story is Joey missing a work function, which goes absolutely nowhere. However despite my gripes this feels like a traditional Friends Thanksgiving episode, in fact I'm always surprised it's from Season 9. The tension between Rachel and her sister is really well done and I like the talk Monica and Chandler have about his doubts as a father.











#3."The One Where Underdog Gets Away" (Season 1)

The biggest drawback with this one is that, ironically, it's a Season One episode. In Season One the series was doing what many series do in their first year, finding their voice. And so while a great episode when it first aired, it feels out of step with the others years later. Does it make it bad? No it's a classic in my opinion. From Joey's unfortunate ad campaign to Monica's breakdown in the hallway. Even Ross's subplot is pretty good. It's the first Thanksgiving, and it feels like it!











#2."The One Where Ross Got High" (Season 6)

The reason I love this one is because all of the stories click here. Even Phoebe's even though it's a tad silly. But we have Joey and Ross wanting to leave, Rachel making a horrible dessert, and Chandler wanting Monica's parent to like him. All of these plot threads get equal time and some laughs before being tied up by Judy in one her best moments of the series. Unlike other episode where the stories are either rushed or just plain stupid. And let's be honest, that whole nonsense with the Trifle is just to funny to overlook.












#1."The One with All the Thanksgivings" (Season 5)

This was a hard call, in my episode guide I said the previous episode was my favorite one ever. But in thinking about it, this one is just a classic. Ignoring the retcon's and woeful underuse of half the cast, this is a really good episode. I guess it works because we know the characters so well by know that we don't need to be force fed the jokes. Like seeing the return of love sick Ross in the flashback scene. Chandler's flashback compliments his story from he first episode about why he hates Thanksgiving. Phoebe's story is..Phoebe. And while the bit with Joey and the turkey on his head is silly it serves two purposes. It gives Phoebe and Joey a little time in an episode where they don't have a lot to do. And of course it sets up that callback where Chandler first tells Monica that he loves her. Maybe that's why his episode is so good, it isn't three stories fighting for time it's just six friends reminiscence about the past. It's a nice change of pace and a classic.















There you have it my friends. Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment