April 14, 2018

Random Thoughts-Channel Awesome (sigh)


I didn’t want to talk about this. I really, really didn’t. When it all began I tried to ignore it, since it was mostly on twitter that wasn’t hard all it meant was ignoring the people talking about it (or even blocking them). FYI if you don’t know what I am referring to well it’s all over the place so no need to rehash it here. Anyway, I tried to ignore it. Why is that? Because that site and contributors has come to mean a lot to me. I’ve talked about the how and why in other articles and will not bore everyone by repeating it. Suffice to say, I loved the glory days of ThatGuyWithTheGlasses.com and without them I would not be doing this at all.



However after while we couldn’t ignore this stuff anymore, specially when that doc was produced and producers started leaving left and right. They tried two apologies, one was HORRIBLY worded you’ll get no argument from me on that. The second was a defense, which is fine they have that right. Problem is they stopped there, without admitting the mistakes that are true and not coming out and apologizing for them. And since then has been nothing at all which is, weird. And this has been really hard for me to read, it’s almost as if a relative had died. Not lying.

Now there are some truth’s. Truth is I watch most of the producers on YouTube now. Truth is aside from seeing the Nostalgia Critic on Tuesday I stopped going to the site a long while back. It was never the same after To Boldly Flee.  Truth is I never look at the blogs (no disrespect to people who post there) or the forums. And truth is no matter what happens there are ten years of videos that I can re-watch and re-watch over and over. So why was this upsetting me so?

Ok this is just my opinion I want to make that clear, and I am not defending or shaming anyone or anything. But I always hate to see things like this happen to people. I didn’t want to believe the Bill Cosby stuff was true, I grew up with him and it just seemed impossible. Now this is not that same league of course, but it’s the same feeling. To see them rise so  high and then come crashing down. So yeah, I feel bad for Doug and Rob Walker. I wonder how much pain they are in as their friends (legitimately) turn on them and everything they’ve built crumbles. Just because they made mistakes doesn’t mean they aren’t human and suffering. I can’t just say “well it’s there own fault” and leave it at that. It’s just me, I can’t help it. I’m not saying they did nothing wrong or anything either. And I can’t help but feel some (not all) of this is former producers just being spiteful and trying to hurt them which I never like.

So before everyone yells at me, no I am not blaming the victims. I don’t agree with everything they said, the biggest one is the contract stuff regarding the anniversaries. Sorry, if you read it and signed it then you can’t turn around years later and yell “No fair”. As much as I respect Linkara I think he’s dead wrong on that one. Other things I don’t agree with include the Mike Ellis thing, they realized he was a scumbag and fired him. What are we blaming them for? For hiring him in the first place? Sometime you hire the wrong people, at least they dealt with it. But the fact is that 96 page doc can’t all be lies or incorrect, there has be truth in there and I understand that. Mike Michaud has no idea how to run a business, that’s obvious, and there are things I really get like the ignoring producer’s concerns and horrible lack of communication. One producer left because he said he was ignored, period. I tend to agree that some things were handled badly especially a few notable firing’s. And that scene in To Boldly Flee should have been scrapped, for the life of me I ‘ll never know what Doug was thinking with that one. Especially when everyone told him it wouldn’t work. No I did not read that whole 96 page document I did skim it.

I am not sure what the final fate of the site will be, whether they will just limit their stuff to videos or walk away all together. I do know that no matter what happens Doug Walker will always be a hero to me, this coming from someone who has very few heroes. He picked me up at a time when I was really low and someday I would like to shake his hand and thank him. That being said, the thing bugging me the most is that he has said nothing. And yeah, I said above he must be hurting and I get that. At the same time I really need to hear what he has to say about this, as I am sure all of you do too, and then we can move past this. I hope CA goes on in some form, but only time will tell on that one.


So I don’t want to have people hating this is all just how I feel. If I  am wrong or misinformed, please comment and tell me. It’s just the last few weeks it’s felt like watching a small but important part of my life suddenly die and it made me very sad. All Good Things Must Come to an End they always say, but did it have to end this way?


And on a lighter not I am holding that DS9 article off for another day since I wanted to get this out, so that’ll be out tomorrow and on Wednesday there’s a big anniversary which I want to acknowledge which I makes me happy. And folks, these days I need a reason to smile and be happy.
Recommend

1 comment:

  1. I know how you feel. I even felt a little depressed about the whole thing. It was just weird to watch and read about. It was so weird I even said something about it on my blog. Also, right now the document sits at 73 pages unless you're counting that fan document (I don't know how long that was). Happy Anniversary to whatever's coming up!

    ReplyDelete