March 1, 2018

My Top 10 Saddest Trek Moments

I’ve talked a lot about Star Trek (no, really?) but today I wanted to focus on an area I hadn’t mentioned before. Trek can be smart, dramatic, exciting, and even funny at times. But another thing it excels at is the water works. Man can this show be sad, and it’s no coincidence that the saddest moments are often the most praised episodes (or films).
 
 





At first I thought I would pass on this idea since there are plenty of other lists out there on this subject. Until I looked at them, and with a few exceptions people posted different examples. And some of them are one’s I would have never considered, while leaving off some I immediately think of! So here are the ten moments from Star Trek which have, and even still does, makes me the most teary eyed. And yes picking only ten is not easy, there are dozens of examples to pick from.








Before I begin I wanted to talk about “The Paradise Syndrome” from the classic series. This episode is about Kirk having amnesia and being lost on a primitive alien planet. The episode is…only ok, but it has the saddest ending ever! Since I can’t find any clips I decided to leave it off the official list and not spoil it. Check the episode out for yourself if you’ve never seen it.








Here are my ten saddest Trek moments :

10.This Side of Paradise
Stop making me cry Jill Ireland!! I did a whole review of this episode so I will keep it brief. This is the one where Spock is infected with spores and allowed to fall in love. In the end, when the spores are gone, with get this sweet scene between him and his girl played by Ireland. I don’t know it’s the writing, the haunting music, or the knockout performances but I always choke up here.






9.Drone
It was hard to find one for Voyager. Not that they didn’t have sad scene they sure did. Like when Neelix left the ship (or was that happy?) or when they returned home at the end of the show. But this is the one that resonated with me. Long story short, this drone is created by accident and basically Seven treats him like her child. When the drone realizes its existence puts the ship in jeopardy, it terminates itself. Seven doesn’t take it well.





8.Skin of Evil

Say what you want about the awfulness of TNG’s season one, and the unceremonious way that Tasha Yar was killed off that season, but the scene of her funeral is still one of the saddest things ever.


(this was the best I could find, sadly)




7.Tears of the Prophets
Finding a sad clip from DS9 is pretty easy to be honest with you. The series began with Sisko getting over the death of his wife! Why isn’t that on here? And if you’re going to do a war arc you’re going to have some rather unhappy scenes. So I picked just two examples, one below and this one. The scene is just wonderfully written and is everything Tasha’s death was NOT on TNG.  But the best part is the Sisko speech at the end, man could that guy give speeches.





6.Star Trek III
This one is pretty self explanatory. Honestly I considered leaving the films off since there are PLENTY of choices from the five series (and sorry Enterprise is indeed omitted) but at the same it wouldn’t be right to not mention them. Shatner is fantastic in this moment.





5.The Visitor
As I said DS9 had plenty of sad moments but you can’t beat this one. This isn’t just a great moment it’s one the finest EPISODES of the series. This is the episode where Jake loses Sisko in an accident, and spends his life trying to help him. At the end he realizes what he has to do to save his father and himself. Just watch…







4.Generations
As far as the Next Gen movies go there weren’t to many sad moments that stand out. Picard’s freak out in First Contact was over the top, and I can hardly remember the other two movies anymore. But this one is worth a mention, mostly for how it was acted. Yeah we didn’t care enough of Picard’s family to really be invested in them being killed off. But man it’s easy to forget that watching this wonderful performance by Patrick Stewart. Heavy stuff.







3.Star Trek II
I had a hard time deciding if this should go before or after my next choice. I finally decided to put it here mostly to break up the monotony, it doesn’t really matter. No sad moment in trek eclipses this one. Spock giving up his life for his crew, Kirk finally having to really face death…I mean the scene is so great that it’s iconic. Why else would Star Trek:Into Darkness rip it off? Cheap shot, I know.





2.The Inner Light
I talked about how wonderfully written this episode is, even if it did take me a few viewings to get that. I decided not to make this the funeral blog so rather than show the scene where Picard’s wife dies (ah, long story if you don’t know the episode) here is the ending which is so simple, so quiet..and so beautiful.






1.City on the Edge of Forever
This isn’t first because it’s the saddest moment, you could argue that others here are, but because of how perfect the scene is. I mean it’s just beautifully well done! And the best part? William Shatner takes heat because of his overacting but here, he owns these scenes and is pitch perfect. That last scene where Kirk says nothing, but man is it written all over his face! The scene where Kirk stops McCoy and Spock says “he knows doctor, he knows” still gives me chills. Fantastically written and fantastically performed. It’s no wonder this episode is considered the best there is. “Let’s get the hell out of here” which by the way is one of the few times you will hear a swear word on Trek.







Did I leave any off? Are you kidding! I could come back and do ten more easily. Tons more that I left off from Spock in “Naked Time” to Picard during the entire Borg arc (His breakdown in “Family” just barely made it) to Nog breaking down on DS9 to the opening of the 2009 Trek movie when George Kirk sacrificed his life. So if I missed one you feel should be on here comment and let me know



Man this one was depressing. I’ll have to lighten things up next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment